Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ironman Lake Placid Alternate Bike Route - Official
Quote | Reply
I guess it is now official. The bridge will not be completed (note surprised!) in time for the race. So, below is the message on the website in the course link:

** IMPORTANT 2010 INFORMATION - Ironman Lake Placid 2010 Bike Course Update**
The bridge project on the Haselton Rd. section of the Ironman Lake Placid bike course will not be completed in time for the July 25 race. The 2010 alternate route will utilize 5.6 miles of Route 9N north from Jay to Ausable Forks as well as 1.0 miles of Haselton Rd. The Jay bike aid station (formerly positioned in the parking area just before entering the hamlet) will now be just north of the Jay intersection to be accessible on the way out to Ausable Forks and on the way back into Jay. The aid station at the Wilmington Fire Station will now only be accessible on the way out from the short Haselton Rd. turnaround. Please check back to this website next week for an updated course map.

I did get a chance to ride the 9N out and back portion a couple weeks back. Slightly rolling but mostly flat. I think it's pretty neutral to the original route.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Lake Placid Alternate Bike Route - Official [artist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the update.

Barry Dmitruk
2017: Florida 70.3 (done); Mont Tremblant 70.3 & Ironman

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Lake Placid Alternate Bike Route - Official [artist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Other than an extra 180 bike turnaround (per loop), that's probably a slightly faster overall bike course.
Hopefully less drafting going on this way, since the Haselton Rd part has always been a draft fiesta in prior years. LOTS of pelotons thru there, especially on the 1st lap.

Y'all should thank GOD the out-and-back w/ the John Bliss Rd hill isn't the new alternate - that thing was a bear. (pun intended)

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Lake Placid Alternate Bike Route - Official [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Other than an extra 180 bike turnaround (per loop), that's probably a slightly faster overall bike course.
Hopefully less drafting going on this way, since the Haselton Rd part has always been a draft fiesta in prior years. LOTS of pelotons thru there, especially on the 1st lap.

Y'all should thank GOD the out-and-back w/ the John Bliss Rd hill isn't the new alternate - that thing was a bear. (pun intended)

Just saw the update myself. I'm not a huge fan of a second out and back, but the miles added on to Haselton Rd is the CD's way of throwing a bone to the masses. That's essentially 3-4 miles of relief before heading back into town from Wilmington. Otherwise, you'd be riding a nearly constant ascent from the Jay intersection to the left onto mirror lake drive. The 9N out and back is more scenic and less challenging than Haselton Rd, but I was secretly holding out for the JBliss option to see the field get splintered one last time before the return to town.

I'm predicting lots of peloton riding on the 9N addition. That combined with the removal of a few rolling hills will produce faster overall times. I'm hoping not to be the exception to that rule.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Lake Placid Alternate Bike Route - Official [burnman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I liked the new out and back but thats because I'm a crappy cyclist.

I always found the original out and back to be a bit scary, too many macho riders with lousy bike skills crossing over the double yellow into oncoming traffic.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Lake Placid Alternate Bike Route - Official [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Agreed - Rode that way this weekend when I was up there that hill was a nightmare only hill on the course I had to stand up on and exceed my powercaps. Gotta admit would have been good though to kill people's legs on that second loop...
Quote Reply