Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ironman Lake Placid - and my journey thus far...ouch!
Quote | Reply
Hello all,

Kind of a weird post, but looking for some feedback.

I have been training and working towards my first ever full IM since January of this year. My past consists of sprints and a 70.3 in 2018 prior to this. I had signed up for Mont Tremblant for 2020, but the boarder crossing being closed killed that dream - and eventually was refunded nearly all of my expenses (yay!).

My training for Lake Placid has led me to have full distance swims, several single rides over 100 miles (200+/week totals), and my runs have only been 13 miles or so. In March I battled some calf muscle issues, which I have recovered from (I think...) and I have now found myself in the middle of a kidney stone battle. It's pain like I have never felt before. Though I am looking to continue with the IM journey, I have given up on ALL my time goals. I am more than annoyed as I have missed a week of real training at this stage of pre-race work. Friday may be surgery if I cannot pass this stone on my own. That will likely result in a stint over a period of 5ish days...but that's not apparently the most comfortable thing to deal with, let alone train with.

Lake Placid is July 24th, and being my first ever full IM, I am told I just need to stay the course and enjoy each moment to just finish. My goal was to finish in the 12-13 hour range as a 45 year old M...so pretty average. Just looking forward to being an "IRONMAN" and hearing my name. I am not yet willing to defer.

Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks!
Josh
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Lake Placid - and my journey thus far...ouch! [dadworxvt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One or two weeks of missed training isn't really going to make or break anything. I would just continue the course and see what Friday brings. If you need the surgery then talk with your doctor about what you are allowed to do with the stint in place. I assume by next Wednesday you'll be back to normal health and can get back to normal training. Careful ramping back up too quickly with your previous calf injury. Don't want that popping back up in later July because you tried to make-up for lost training. You may be a little undertrained but that is better than injured.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Lake Placid - and my journey thus far...ouch! [FuzzyRunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FuzzyRunner wrote:
One or two weeks of missed training isn't really going to make or break anything. I would just continue the course and see what Friday brings. If you need the surgery then talk with your doctor about what you are allowed to do with the stint in place. I assume by next Wednesday you'll be back to normal health and can get back to normal training. Careful ramping back up too quickly with your previous calf injury. Don't want that popping back up in later July because you tried to make-up for lost training. You may be a little undertrained but that is better than injured.

Thank you. I never expected having this delay in my "plan" and am trying not to become overly focused on it.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Lake Placid - and my journey thus far...ouch! [dadworxvt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Follow what your doctor says, you can still finish and enjoy the experience.

I wouldn't worry much about the run distance, it's all about survival during the ironman run. I am injury prone so I hardly ever run more than 2 hours in my long training runs before an ironman anymore. I do have some experience at the distance though (6 full ironman, and also two Ultraman races), so I do have that going for me.

For what it's worth - because stupid COVID got me just after memorial day, my longest ride since before my ultraman race in February was 4 hours and that was mid May (I did an Olympic race the following weekend) and then COVID. So I'm just getting back and will likely have only one or two rides >100 miles. Again, the experience is there and I've raced the IMLP course 4 times and this year will be my 5th.

On race day just make sure to watch your effort and keep that first bike loop feeling as easy as you can make it. Those climbs out of town really hit hard the 2nd loop, as do all the other ones after another 50 miles or so... ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Lake Placid - and my journey thus far...ouch! [mtrichick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mtrichick wrote:
Follow what your doctor says, you can still finish and enjoy the experience.

I wouldn't worry much about the run distance, it's all about survival during the ironman run. I am injury prone so I hardly ever run more than 2 hours in my long training runs before an ironman anymore. I do have some experience at the distance though (6 full ironman, and also two Ultraman races), so I do have that going for me.

For what it's worth - because stupid COVID got me just after memorial day, my longest ride since before my ultraman race in February was 4 hours and that was mid May (I did an Olympic race the following weekend) and then COVID. So I'm just getting back and will likely have only one or two rides >100 miles. Again, the experience is there and I've raced the IMLP course 4 times and this year will be my 5th.

On race day just make sure to watch your effort and keep that first bike loop feeling as easy as you can make it. Those climbs out of town really hit hard the 2nd loop, as do all the other ones after another 50 miles or so... ;)

WOW! This is exactly what I had hoped to hear. There is no doubt I have first time full anxiety, but paired with my recent setbacks...it's worse. I REALLY appreciate the advice, and the shared experience. I placed a an 11/32 cassette on my Trek emonda SL6, and that will help me be "smart" early in the ride and conserve my energy. I also will add some notes on my bike to follow! :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had way too many stones. Last one in January was 11 mm. It had to be blasted. It was a "surgery" but they just put up some sonic wave thing to my kidney and blasted me for 45 to an hour. I was out, so don't know how it felt. I pissed some nasty blood right after. Kinda made me nervous.

BUT, all that to say that I hope that is all you are getting too. How big is it? Drink as much water as you can. All the time. Especially on race day.

I agree with others. Keep going forward. The only thing that may be impacted is your run. I'd work on the trainer as much as you can tolerate until you feel you can get back out.

Good luck- and be sure to post your results!!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Lake Placid - and my journey thus far...ouch! [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
littlefoot wrote:
I've had way too many stones. Last one in January was 11 mm. It had to be blasted. It was a "surgery" but they just put up some sonic wave thing to my kidney and blasted me for 45 to an hour. I was out, so don't know how it felt. I pissed some nasty blood right after. Kinda made me nervous.

BUT, all that to say that I hope that is all you are getting too. How big is it? Drink as much water as you can. All the time. Especially on race day.

I agree with others. Keep going forward. The only thing that may be impacted is your run. I'd work on the trainer as much as you can tolerate until you feel you can get back out.

Good luck- and be sure to post your results!!

11mm!!!!! Dang! I am only working a 4mm through the system. Apparently I have bilateral stones that are still in each side waiting to be released when I least expect it. The largest is 5mm. I have heard about the ultrasonic hammering to break them up, but I am not going to do that before the IM. I will likely do it after, but from what I understand it's harsh on your body when it happens! I wondered if I could just use my theragun! LOL.

My surgery will be a laser breaking it up just above the bladder and below the kidney. If I can pass it before then - hooray!

I have been drinking more water than I have ever drank in my life...and it's really all I tend to drink anyway. Unless I drop a Fizz in while working out. I hope I can build up enough hydraulic pressure to push this out soon!

Good plans on the trainer. Back to the pain cave - what a drag.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
  • You've been baking your cake for months, the only thing you are doing at this point it putting icing on the cake.
  • Rest/downtime is underappreciated in general. Better to be 10% undertrained than 1% overtrained heading into your IM
  • Because of the forced downtime because of the kidney stone, this now takes the pressure off to complete the race in a certain time. As a first time full distance participant, it's even better not to think/worry about time during the race but rather focus on appropriate pacing, executing your nutrition and hydration plan
  • Focus on fun maximization. You only get to complete your FIRST full distance one time. Enjoy the journey and the experience.
  • Seriously....YOU GOT THIS! Just be patient, and be a good patient!

Tad

It took awhile, but I finally discovered that its not the destination that's important, but rather the journey.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Lake Placid - and my journey thus far...ouch! [TMT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TMT wrote:
  • Focus on fun maximization. You only get to complete your FIRST full distance one time. Enjoy the journey and the experience.

^^^ THIS

Especially with less pressure on yourself.

Even though I’m SAYING I am taking time goals off the table for myself… You will likely spot me the day before and race morning looking pale like I might puke and with a look of desperate fear in my eyes with my pre-race jitters. *sigh*
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Lake Placid - and my journey thus far...ouch! [TMT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TMT wrote:
  • You've been baking your cake for months, the only thing you are doing at this point it putting icing on the cake.
  • Rest/downtime is underappreciated in general. Better to be 10% undertrained than 1% overtrained heading into your IM
  • Because of the forced downtime because of the kidney stone, this now takes the pressure off to complete the race in a certain time. As a first time full distance participant, it's even better not to think/worry about time during the race but rather focus on appropriate pacing, executing your nutrition and hydration plan

Great POINTS! This is helpful - on keeping my mind calm, but also simplifying what I need to focus on! Thank you! Looks like surgery tomorrow to remove this from being a problem during the event.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Lake Placid - and my journey thus far...ouch! [mtrichick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mtrichick wrote:
TMT wrote:

^^^ THIS

Especially with less pressure on yourself.

Even though I’m SAYING I am taking time goals off the table for myself… You will likely spot me the day before and race morning looking pale like I might puke and with a look of desperate fear in my eyes with my pre-race jitters. *sigh*

LOL! I will be there right next to you in the freak out zone! Once I am swimming (200 yards in) I will be at home, slow, easy, and in it for the long hours....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Welp - I am screwed. I had surgery on Friday July 1, but they could not get the stone. Now I have a stent, and am going back for a second attempt and additional procedures on Monday July 11th. I will likely have another stent, and basically my entire training world has been on pause. Reached out to IM to defer....we will see. Needless to say I am very disappointed.

On the positive side - my wife bought me (I am still in shock by this) a new QR V-PR. That's coming in during the month of August, so maybe a 2023 event will be even better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dadworxvt wrote:
Welp - I am screwed. I had surgery on Friday July 1, but they could not get the stone. Now I have a stent, and am going back for a second attempt and additional procedures on Monday July 11th. I will likely have another stent, and basically my entire training world has been on pause. Reached out to IM to defer....we will see. Needless to say I am very disappointed.

On the positive side - my wife bought me (I am still in shock by this) a new QR V-PR. That's coming in during the month of August, so maybe a 2023 event will be even better.

Sorry to hear. If the July 11th procedure gets it, maybe they will clear you to race almost 2 weeks later? And of course remember, its really not a race, its an event, and your training that you've done will get you through it no prob even with a few weeks off. You could also still do another 2022 event........Tremblant, Chat, Florida, etc...

Oh, and you win 'best wife' award!!!!
Last edited by: SBRcanuck: Jul 8, 22 6:33
Quote Reply