Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ironman LP Advice for First Timers
Quote | Reply
Guys, I posted this on a local Ottawa tri forum to help out some first timers. To tell you the truth, I find posting stuff like this actually helps me get myself mentally prepared, so I thought I would share it with vets and first timers on this forum.

Experienced guys like Fleck and others, please pipe in and add your own "checklist". This stuff is all "non equipment" related, but more mental prep stuff, often overlooked by many coaches, so I like filling this void for free.

Dev

-----------------------------------

IRONMAN: GETTING TO THE START LINE IS A VICTORY

For those first timers asking for advice, let me share the most important piece of knowledge gleaned from doing 11 of these things over the past 14 years.

The number 1 thing to remember is that getting to the start line in iteself is the biggest victory. Think of all those countless hours, sacrifice, support from family and friends and the good luck of having the health that 99.9999% of the population would dream of. Just getting to the start line is a win.

Race day, is a celebration of your sacrifices with 2000+ like minded souls.

WHERE DOES THE RACE START ?

The journey began several months ago when you signed up to do an Ironman. The journey continues for 3.8K of swimming, 180K of biking and 21.1 K of running

The real race STARTS at the 13 mile mark of the run. Everything up to then is a big HUGE warmup/training day.

Every GOOD Ironman I did started at the 13 mile mark of the run. Every Ironman that did not go so well ended at the 13 mile mark of the run and then it was one huge sufferfest. Don't let this happen to you.

If at any point you feel like you are working, back off the pace. Try to SLOW down on every hill and keep your effort constant. Too many people try to maintain the same speed going uphill and basically ensure that their race ends at mile 13 of the run.

IT IS ALL BETWEEN THE EARS

You are fit, and have done the work. The difference between a good race and bad one lies in the grey matter between your ears. Your brain is your biggest asset on race day, not your legs, lungs and heart. They are what they are. They are not going to suddenly get better on race day. What you can control is your mind.

Lance Armstrong is your perfect role model. He knows he only has so many hard efforts in his body and uses them sparingly. Alexander Vinokourov is not. The man is strong, but he attacks when it does not count. ATTACK WHEN IT COUNTS!

TASKS FOR YOUR BRAIN

1. Tell your body to "slow down" for the first 8 hours of the day. If anything, your ego will want you to go harder. Your brain is the gate keeper of your limited energy output. It controls the throttle so make it do the job...just like Lance.

2. Eat. Ironman is about the person who can cover 141 miles without slowing down and eating lunch and a day worth of snacks on the fly. Realistically, no one speeds up at Ironman, we all slow down over the day. Your brain has to tell your body to fuel. This is its paramount task on race day. I've been caught up in the action and forgotten to eat. Bad move. Don't wait till you are hungry...conversly, don't stuff yourself silly either

3. Have you ever had to spend an entire 9-17 hours concentrating on one thing ? Likely not. On Ironman race day, especially the last 3 hours your brain is in control of your body. The body will scream to stop, but the brain applies the controls and keeps firing neurons to ensure that one foot lands in front of the other. Your brain is the master. It runs the ship.

4. Brain says to keep moving forward. Never stop for anything. Always keep moving forward. Shuffling is 6 miles an hour. Walking is 2.5 miles per hour max. Standing is zero miles per hour. Sitting is zero miles per hour but even worse. If you can keep shuffling, you will end the day quicker. Starting from when you read this, brainwash yourself that shuffling is fun, walking, standing and sitting are bad. NEVER sit down in T2. Your two minute transition will turn into 15 minutes in a blink of an eye. The TENT is your enemy...get of out there as quickly as possible. This is a low energy zone that will suck the life out of you.

5. Keep reminding yourself that you are in your own personal Stanley Cup Championship Parade for 141 miles. The day is about YOU. This is the victory parade that you dreamed of when you first started the "regular season"...ENJOY.

I'll see you guys out there on my own personal victory parade! Take care and race safely.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman LP Advice for First Timers [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Dev....just what I needed!

--------
Canadian resident again 10/31/2009
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good points, Dev. Here's my list:

1. Pacing is critical. The most common mistake is going too hard too early in the bike - this is a particular challenge at IMUSA, because that second lap of the bike will eat you alive, if you don't know your limits. And you have not even got to the run . If you are properly trained and tapered. The first 2 hours+ on the bike should feel like a joke - some of the easiset riding you have done all year. If it's not like this, you are in trouble.

2. Nutrition: Find a formula that works for you and keep it SIMPLE. Know, that somehow, you need to get 200 - 300 calories/hour into your body.

3. Sunscreen: Get some good sunscreen. Put it on properly and save your skin

4. Travel light:There is an aid station every 10 miles on the bike and every mile on the run. Therefore, there is no need to start either leg loaded down like you are heading out for a wilderness trek

5. Thank as many volunteers as you can along the way. Without them, there would be no race.

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmmm....looks like I "shuffle" during a half marathon.

:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
from the stories i've heard from guy friends that have raced and/or volunteered in the men's change tent in LP, it's not somewhere you want to spend anymore time than necessary in by t2. ;)

good luck to everyone in LP. i'll be heckling...er cheering you all on from front of the prague. i'll be one of the annoying chicks with a cowbell :)

k
Last edited by: KDM: Jul 18, 05 10:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All good points. Here's a couple more...

- Drink before you're thirsty. Lance himself said it in an interview yesterday - "Hydration is key...if you get behind, you're hosed".

- Give n' get - positive energy, that is. Smile and say Thank You to the volunteers. Somebody passing you? Say 'Good Job' - likewise when you're the passer. See somebody struggling on the run? Give 'em a friendly pat on the shoulder and say something encouraging. You'll help them out, and yourself as well.

Have fun, be safe and race smart. Good luck to y'all.

http://www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman LP Advice for First Timers [mthammer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks guys, I knew I could count on some of you to add to the things that I am not thinking of. Anyone in the evening crowd want to pipe in. How bout some of you coaches ???

Here is an excellent article by Lisa Bentley mainly on the "non physical side" of your last few weeks. I thought it was quite helpful:

http://www.insidetri.com/...articles/2268.0.html
Last edited by: devashish paul: Jul 18, 05 17:31
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman LP Advice for First Timers [KDM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do I know you?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Dev.

As a first timer I appreciate your thoughts. Going to print out your post and meditate on it in the days leading up to Sunday.

Wish me a bit of luck and a whole lot of good nutrition. Bib # 593.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All good stuff, especially the importance of the mind. Edwin Moses summarized it this way, "The mind leads the body." Heavy stuff from a guy who went unbeaten for a decade.

If it gets bad out there, as it often does, hang in--problem solve--fix it now, the race can come back to you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey folks...just checking into LP. Lots of ripped looking studs and ladies here. Man, Ironman week is cool. I had to re-read this post to remind myself what I do an don't need to do tomorrow on race day.

Thanks to all friends in slowtwitchland who sent me your wishes. I know you dudes will be hitting refresh on Ironmanlive to check on forward progress tomorrow, so I'll be extra motivated to keep the legs ticking forward.

Finally, the water temp is not insanely warm, but I am going to race with a sleeveless suit and err on the side of being a bit cool so I don't dehydrate within the first hour of the race and blow the rest of the day while tooling around in the MirrorLake thrashfests.

ciao

Dev

PS. Looks like my man Ullrich did his best...but in the end, he was simply "best of the rest" during the TT. Reminds me of the Indurain vs Rominger battles in 92-93.
Quote Reply