Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ironman Italy- thoughts and travel
Quote | Reply
I would be flying from Chicago. Any tips on travel arrangements? I’m not opposed to flying to a nearby country if it’s cheaper and renting a car and driving.

How is the race? Just hearing “Italy” makes me think it must be beautiful. Planning to vacation after the race for a bit.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Italy- thoughts and travel [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bump
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bump ... 'cause I want to know too :)

I'm looking to fly into Bologna (BLQ). Thoughts on going from that airport to the race site

Quote | Reply
Hey that's exactly what we're doing (wife is racing). We're flying Tap into BLQ and it's wild cheap. Seems like a pretty easy drive to the race site, something like an hour and a half straight down the highway. Knowing it's Italy I'm sure getting from the highway to the race site will be interesting at best, but whatever, get full coverage on the rental. That part of Italy isn't particularly stunning, mostly just a beach town, but inland from there is gorgeous. We're gonna stay down near San Marino in a sweet old mill we found and rent a car, which will give us some flexibility.

We looked into driving from another country, but one way rental fees into and out of Italy were insane, like 1600 USD plus.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I raced there last year. My option was to go to Milan and travel by car. It is a ~3:30h trip from the airport to Cervia. I arrived late night in Malpensa and spent the night in a hotel close to the airport, traveling early morning to Cervia. Highways are super good and Cervia is a small town. Rented a apartment five blocks from the race venue, close to the canal. It was perfect.

Spent some days over there traveling to the nearby cities, raced and then spent another week in Bologna and surroundings. Super great food (actually the best food I had so far WW). Drop me a message if you want to get more info on the apartment I rented or tips of things to do.

The race is awesome. Nice calm swim. Almost 100% flat bike course (only a hill close to Bertinoro) and the run through the old town. Be aware that there is a Olympic race the day after the IM. Your wife or others traveling with you may be interested.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Italy- thoughts and travel [cristianoag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cristianoag wrote:
Almost 100% flat bike course

Good thing Italians don't draft.
Quote Reply