Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ironman Cozumel - Swim Record
Quote | Reply
Did an age grouper just go 00:31:38 on the swim? Aaron Fernandez, Bib 828.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Cozumel - Swim Record [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
probably swam a half.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Cozumel - Swim Record [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So its two loops? I was looking for evidence of this but the athlete guide for the race sucks.
Last edited by: LifeTri: Nov 26, 17 7:27
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Cozumel - Swim Record [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Still, the swim times are crazy fast; fastest pro male swam 39 minutes. Either a short swim, or current assisted?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Cozumel - Swim Record [TulkasTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pretty sure that they usually get a favorable current after one of the turns all the way home.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are some crazy fast times. One of my friends who's doing it broke his PR by quite a bit. He's flying on the bike too. Conditions seem favorable for some really fast times today.
Last edited by: JRTX: Nov 26, 17 9:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On a separate matter , I see Laurent jalabert is back in the 45-49 , he is already under up to third on the bike - rules are rules but I would be pissed if I lost my Kona spot to him
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the race 3 Times (2010, 2013, 2014)... 59mins, 39mins, 52mins...

2010 hard swim course swimming 400-600m against current.
2013 really short course guessing 3100m with good current
2014 current swim course guessing it's like 3400m with regular current not too strong.

2017 guessing really strong current and still around 3400m

The guy with 31mins probably start with the pro men or pc
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Cozumel - Swim Record [MTL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My IM swim times range from 54-59 mins with wetsuit and non wetsuit the upper range.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is point to point. The strength of the current varies from year to year, but it appears to be pretty quick this year.

Quote | Reply
There are some crazy fast times. One of my friends who's doing it broke his PR by quite a bit. //

IT is obviously a severely short swim, your friend does not get to beat his PR, sorry. Fast courses usually mean short courses, we do not give out heat ribbons if no one is in the heat to race, and we do not give out PR's on courses that are shorter than advertised..

Doesn't mean of course that you cannot have a great race, you just cannot use overall times as an indicator of that. IT gets more complicated and you actually have to do some basic math in order to tell of you really had a breakout race, that or you won it..
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Cozumel - Swim Record [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No it is not short, it is with a strong current. Also, a PR is whatever someone wants it to be.
Last edited by: jkhayc: Nov 26, 17 11:31
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Cozumel - Swim Record [MTL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MTL wrote:
I did the race 3 Times (2010, 2013, 2014)... 59mins, 39mins, 52mins...

2010 hard swim course swimming 400-600m against current.
2013 really short course guessing 3100m with good current
2014 current swim course guessing it's like 3400m with regular current not too strong.

2017 guessing really strong current and still around 3400m

The guy with 31mins probably start with the pro men or pc

2013 was stated as being 2 miles. I swam a 37 or so.
Last edited by: jkhayc: Nov 26, 17 11:33
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Cozumel - Swim Record [Sbradley11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Friend of my wifeÂ’s is there, and her swim time was waaaaay faster than her typical swim pace.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Cozumel - Swim Record [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No it is not short, it is with a strong current. Also, a PR is whatever someone wants it to be. //

Of course it is short, if you swim one way with a current and you only swim 2.4m(which is debatable at the moment they even did that), it is a short swim. Just like if you ran the marathon on a moving sidewalk. And yes, these athletes have a new PR for a short course swimming with the current, but not a legit 2.4 swim that accompanies most Ironman. To argue this point is just being obtuse.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Cozumel - Swim Record [UKINNY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
UKINNY wrote:
On a separate matter , I see Laurent jalabert is back in the 45-49 , he is already under up to third on the bike - rules are rules but I would be pissed if I lost my Kona spot to him

It's what you sign up for. One competitor in my AG is a former Olympic Trials runner. While I keep hoping that she'll take up underwater basket weaving instead, she keeps showing up and taking Kona slots that I had my eyes on (happened two different races).

Figure out a way to be a better swimmer and runner. I can already out-swim my nemesis and on a good day, can give her legitimate competition on the bike, but she smokes me on the run. I guess that I could hope that she gets plantar fasciitis or something...

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Cozumel - Swim Record [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On the opposite spectrum i swear there was video from this race about 5 years ago that they swam against the current....one swimmer didnt move for like 30 mins....

Cozumel has very high tidal differences. I was there last year and it was amazing swimming there each day just how hard the current pushed when you had no assistance.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like this analogy. I'd have to agree, a downstream swim isn't the same as being out in the calm water that is just sort of sitting there. Kind of like adding a motor to your TT bike from an assisted standpoint (not illegal pov).
Last edited by: Rocky M: Nov 26, 17 15:24
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Cozumel - Swim Record [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My friend missed out by one spot assuming they get 4 spots - he is a cheat and should be banned for life
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Cozumel - Swim Record [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here you go: https://vimeo.com/55015129. They changed the swim course the following year. It used to be to and from Chankanaab. Now it is a point to point ending at Chankanaab. I believe it is still 2.4 miles but rather than being current against, current with, current against it is predominately current with.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Cozumel - Swim Record [scobig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ST never disappoints!

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Cozumel - Swim Record [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

This year was a point to point swim with the current in your favor:
Quote:
THE MOST AMAZING SWIM COURSE OF IRONMAN BECOMES FASTER
Experience the new straight line course with the oceans current in your favor at Ironman Cozumel.
http://www.ironmancozumel.com/.../course-description/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, clearly you think correctness of word choice is obtuse...so yea. I'm out.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Cozumel - Swim Record [Art M.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i'd be curious to see the stats between this race and Chattanooga this year

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is 2.4 (I can provide my gps from same course last year) but it’s the ocean so sometimes it goes north sometimes it goes south. Sometimes both. Last year we had a pretty decent current against us for almost a perfect 1.2, then a ripping current in our favor for the rest. I recall looking at my watch and noting that I “swam” the last 1.2 miles in about 20 minutes. My swim was right on my 1:00 estimate. Most I talked to who were weaker swimmers were about 20 minutes slower than expected.

Just like the 11 minute mile I “swam” (sideways) at Alcatraz a couple years ago. :)

Heck you know how ocean swims are. Sometimes youÂ’re the hammer sometimes youÂ’re the nail

Comparing any times from prior to 2015 is not relevant as that was a different course. About a mile north and a mile south rectangle so any current smacked you for half the swim. Since 2015 itÂ’s been a point to point with prevailing current from the new marina to chankanaab Park. ItÂ’s a legit 2.4 if you had to walk it :)

ETA re the PR question. Assume itÂ’s legit distance. IsnÂ’t a current any different than other environmental conditions on race day? If itÂ’s unseasonable cool in Coz on race day? Or no wind at all? Guess IÂ’m not seeing why those can be bike or run PR conditions and the swim canÂ’t, seeing as the swim can be difficult if Poseidon decides to switch the current
Last edited by: ChrisM: Nov 26, 17 18:00
Quote Reply

Prev Next