Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman CEO Andrew Messick held a press conference today. WCs still up in the air for 2020.... [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
I think it will be Feb.

The problem with a NORMAL February, is that almost EVERY bed up and down the Kona Coast is booked out! So how would you add the 10,000 - 20,000 people that IM brings to town!!

My wife and I discovered this last Feb (2019), when we went over there for an extended stay for the first time at that time of the year*, NOT in October for IRONMAN. We were surprised, but it does make sense. It's the middle of winter and prime-time for those in North America to escape winter for instant summer in Hawaii!

Now, next February will be anything but "normal". So MAYBE this will work. Many hotspot tourism and travel destinations, will have been absolutely hammered by the COVID-19 situation, and with an expected reluctance of people to jump back on planes and travel internationally, when things do open back up, this could be a great coup for IM and Kona/Hawaii Tourism to work together. This is of course assuming that borders will be open by this time, and that the State of Hawaii will allow for tourists to come back!!

*Another surprise was the weather in February on the Kona Coast. It was slightly cooler, with less humidity, and the winds were less strong and unpredictable. I had laughed at people that told me they have "seasons" in Hawaii, but I can confirm they do!! :-)

OMG I just posted the evidence for this NOT being true. February is NOT a peak month for tourism, not by a long shot.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman CEO Andrew Messick held a press conference today. WCs still up in the air for 2020.... [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
February is NOT a peak month for tourism, not by a long shot.

OK. Perhaps OUR situation was a one-off, for Feb. 2019!

I was told by other locals when we were there that February is usually a VERY busy month.

As always, your mileage may vary! :-)

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman CEO Andrew Messick held a press conference today. WCs still up in the air for 2020.... [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
February is NOT a peak month for tourism, not by a long shot.

OK. Perhaps OUR situation was a one-off, for Feb. 2019!

I was told by other locals when we were there that February is usually a VERY busy month.

As always, your mileage may vary! :-)

Right. I mean the only thing I can think of is that February is often touted as peak whale viewing but that's not just Kona. Maybe it's just a great time for us triathletes to go? ( I did choose February to get hitched in Kona) and all the places you looked at are typical triathlete spots :) but other than that, I can't think of it. I grew up in Hilo so I knew the better times to hit Hapuna beach, February and September were great as it was after school started so tourists were less frequent

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman CEO Andrew Messick held a press conference today. WCs still up in the air for 2020.... [kobayashi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

If this happened 10 years ago - Cameron Brown would be World Champion.

That's all I have to add.

http://www.sweat7.com
Facebook Page: Sweat7
Twitter: @sweat7coaching
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman CEO Andrew Messick held a press conference today. WCs still up in the air for 2020.... [salmonsteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
salmonsteve wrote:

If this happened 10 years ago - Cameron Brown would be World Champion.

That's all I have to add.

Well in my book Cam is World Champion in M45-49. He would easily beat that guy Alexandre Vinokourov anyway.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman CEO Andrew Messick held a press conference today. WCs still up in the air for 2020.... [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
doug in co wrote:

that'll be the third wave. Second wave will appear in a couple of weeks, as the restrictions are lifted too soon

I didn't say third wave as I was trying to avoid being too negative about the state of the USA...
It's hard to see NZ opening borders any time soon, with the possible exception of tech billionaires running to their bunkers in the south island because we'll need the revenue from HNW citizenship buying.

ha. who's being cynical now ?

Andy Slavitt had a good thread on everything we are not doing, https://twitter.com/.../1258166483085033472
Last edited by: doug in co: May 7, 20 9:24
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman CEO Andrew Messick held a press conference today. WCs still up in the air for 2020.... [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Already Quailified (Wisconsin 2019)and booked a condo in AlĂ­i Drive. The Condo Owners has no problem in reallocate me in February
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman CEO Andrew Messick held a press conference today. WCs still up in the air for 2020.... [luarca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe I predicted Taupo cancellation back in March 30th thread.

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...tring=taupo#p7185358

But then I had bought a supply of N95 respirators back in January...
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman CEO Andrew Messick held a press conference today. WCs still up in the air for 2020.... [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ha. who's being cynical now ?

Andy Slavitt had a good thread on everything we are not doing, https://twitter.com/.../1258166483085033472

The view from Canada - with apologies to all of my American friends - https://www.theglobeandmail.com/...then-stay-home-love/

Of course Slavitt is 100% correct. But things are SO politically polarized in the U.S. right now, that as soon as you even mention Obama's name, no matter what, anything you have to say is immediately completely trashed, by nearly half the population.

Other countries that have done "well" against the COVID-19 Crisis, have more or less put politics and partisanship aside - there is a pattern. I see this in my own province in Canada. The Premier of Ontario, Doug Ford, is about as far right, a Conservative as you can go in Canada and still get elected. The Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau, is a left of center Liberal. Just last fall they were trading political barbs at one another. Openly sniping each other in the media. Since this whole thing hit - they have been absolutely on the same page! You see this all across the country - every province all in line with what has been going on federally in Ottawa.

Has there been disagreements and hiccups, for sure - this thing has moved so fast, and rendered so much change, for so many, however, the bottom line has been to again, put politics and partisanship aside, and work for the common good of the whole of the country and all citizens.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Premier of Ontario, Doug Ford, is about as far right, a Conservative as you can go in Canada and still get elected. The Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau, is a left of center Liberal. Just last fall they were trading political barbs at one another. Openly sniping each other in the media. Since this whole thing hit - they have been absolutely on the same page! //

But what if their positions were reversed, you think the same outcome? Because that is what we have here, the clown running the show. But imagine if CA or NY's governor was the president, and Trump the governor, perhaps we would be the same as you then..
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman CEO Andrew Messick held a press conference today. WCs still up in the air for 2020.... [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there any video of Vino getting booed at the awards last year?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman CEO Andrew Messick held a press conference today. WCs still up in the air for 2020.... [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
Fleck wrote:
I think it will be Feb.

The problem with a NORMAL February, is that almost EVERY bed up and down the Kona Coast is booked out! So how would you add the 10,000 - 20,000 people that IM brings to town!!

My wife and I discovered this last Feb (2019), when we went over there for an extended stay for the first time at that time of the year*, NOT in October for IRONMAN. We were surprised, but it does make sense. It's the middle of winter and prime-time for those in North America to escape winter for instant summer in Hawaii!

Now, next February will be anything but "normal". So MAYBE this will work. Many hotspot tourism and travel destinations, will have been absolutely hammered by the COVID-19 situation, and with an expected reluctance of people to jump back on planes and travel internationally, when things do open back up, this could be a great coup for IM and Kona/Hawaii Tourism to work together. This is of course assuming that borders will be open by this time, and that the State of Hawaii will allow for tourists to come back!!

*Another surprise was the weather in February on the Kona Coast. It was slightly cooler, with less humidity, and the winds were less strong and unpredictable. I had laughed at people that told me they have "seasons" in Hawaii, but I can confirm they do!! :-)

OMG I just posted the evidence for this NOT being true. February is NOT a peak month for tourism, not by a long shot.

I live in Alaska and everyone (slight exaggeration) goes to Hawaii in February. I cannot speak for the rest of the world, but that month all flights out of Anchorage might as well go straight to Hawaii.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steve, that Globe and Mail is typical Canadian smugness towards Americans. If any Canadians look at the real numbers, just take out New York New Jersey, Mass and for the other 47 states Canada is generally doing worse than the average. I don't think our prime minister and premiers are doing that much better than many US governors.

All the numbers for USA get skewed by 3 states that accrued 40,000 deaths. Take them out and the other 47 states are the source of the other 40,000. On that math, rest of USA is much better than almost all of Europe and Canada.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman CEO Andrew Messick held a press conference today. WCs still up in the air for 2020.... [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Steve, that Globe and Mail is typical Canadian smugness towards Americans. If any Canadians look at the real numbers, just take out New York New Jersey, Mass and for the other 47 states Canada is generally doing worse than the average. I don't think our prime minister and premiers are doing that much better than many US governors.

All the numbers for USA get skewed by 3 states that accrued 40,000 deaths. Take them out and the other 47 states are the source of the other 40,000. On that math, rest of USA is much better than almost all of Europe and Canada.

I didn't find the article to be at all smug. It said "While Canada looks good compared with the U.S., other countries rank well ahead of us. "
If you want to take out 3 of the hardest hit states and then compare statistics then why not take out Quebec as well?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman CEO Andrew Messick held a press conference today. WCs still up in the air for 2020.... [Tri Bread] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri Bread wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

I didn't find the article to be at all smug. It said "While Canada looks good compared with the U.S., other countries rank well ahead of us. "
If you want to take out 3 of the hardest hit states and then compare statistics then why not take out Quebec as well?

I guess because Canada has a lot of coordination at the Federal + Provincial level where as the USA does not have coordination between Federal and states to anywhere close to the same degree. In terms of the writer of the article being smug about what is going in Canada vs the USA, well he did sweep the entire US with a massive brush in terms of its potential impact on Canada, which is why I said, it does not make sense. A trucker bringing goods across the border at Washington state to BC has no where the same impact as trucks crossing at Windsor-Detroit for automotive industry.

In any case. Canada is not a superhero nation at fighting this. Australia, South Africa, Democratic Republic of Congo, Nigeria, Kenya, UAE....all doing way better and with our advanced notice going in relative to Iran and Europe, we're not coming out of this and dropping off numbers like the hardest hit European nations (or Iran)....so careful about how much we pat ourselves on the back. We had 2 months advanced notice on China and surpassed China in deaths yesterday and we MAY pass Iran in 10 days.

A month ago we were 1:5 ratio vs Sweden on deaths per 1M and now we are closing that gap and down to 2.47:1 while we acquired a quarter trillion of debt in the last 6 weeks. Sweden and Canada both had their 1000th death on April 14th yet we have now blown past in absolute and ratio. Our deaths per million are blowing well past Florida on deaths per million after they opened up and are massively larger than Texas (partially open) and California

Maybe our overall Canadian strategy will pan out strongly a year from now or even months from now. I actually trust it will because largely our population is good at conforming and we the financial depth to take some care of the poor who can also access health care (thank you (thanks Prime Minister Pearson for your 1965 election platform for universal medicare...we're benefiting).

I don't think anyone really has the final number on all jurisdictions but these articles questioning other countries are not helpful while patting ourselves on the back. Whats good in Canada in most areas we ended up with a decent ICU capacity, but it also meant scheduled surgeries from which people would potentially end up initially in ICU have all been deferred and some have died from not getting surgeried , while we had capacity at hand.

Lots of Canadians are questioning US strategy (like in this article), but if you look state by state, most states are doing better than Canada. Sure, if you want to take Quebec and Ontario out do compare your province with a US state. It should look pretty good which is why many provinces are opening back up.

What hurt Quebec and Ontario the most is our strong connections with the USA North East and the timing of spring breaks. But we can't benefit from our connection to them in good times while blaming them in bad times...and our tight connections with UK and France too. First place when flights come back in Toronto or Montreal.

We will need all those connections and more to the US North East and Europe for the economic recovery side. The article is like New Zealand wanting to keep the rest of the world out. We have to work with the USA. Its not an option. Other counties can choose long term isolation. We have too many people that the place will just collapse under the financial load of not working with the USA. Imagine if California stopped working with the rest of USA and that's the equivalent of what this guy is ranting about.
Last edited by: devashish_paul: May 10, 20 11:06
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman CEO Andrew Messick held a press conference today. WCs still up in the air for 2020.... [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Much can change in the next 4-5 months for the IMWC but why on earth would anyone go to Hawaii right now?

Will the 14 day quarantine be the policy at the end of September and early October? Maybe, maybe not. Definitely a heck of an obstacle.

https://www.cnn.com/...uarantine/index.html

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman CEO Andrew Messick held a press conference today. WCs still up in the air for 2020.... [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Much can change in the next 4-5 months for the IMWC but why on earth would anyone go to Hawaii right now?

Will the 14 day quarantine be the policy at the end of September and early October? Maybe, maybe not. Definitely a heck of an obstacle.

https://www.cnn.com/...uarantine/index.html

Hawaii is fucked unless they end the quarantine policy. The whole state relies on tourism for the majority of revenue and employment.
Quote Reply

Prev Next