Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ironman Bike Training Plan Request
Quote | Reply
I am new to the triathlon game and am looking to rapidly improve my bike skills. I have been riding for approximately 1 year and have made steady progress. Last year I did the Big Kahuna 1.2 ironman in 2:52 and am doing the Wildflower this weekend. I plan to do the Californiaman Ironman later this year

I am looking for a aggressive 5 month training plan to take me to the next level. Can anyone provide one that worked for them?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Bike Training Plan Request [geckodupuis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last year I did the Big Kahuna 1.2 ironman in 2:52

----------------------------------------------------------

If thats not just your bike split, you don't need any help. If it is your bike split, good job!

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Bike Training Plan Request [Jim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was the bike split, but the course was not that difficult. I expect to be 3:15-3:30 at Wildflower this weekend
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would look at consistent progress rather than quick progress...

Anyway, to be fast over a half IM, you need to be fast over an OD (look at the half IM distance and how the top IM guys get schooled by the OD guys most of the time)...To be fast on the bike over an OD, you need a high anaerobic threshold (or whatever term you want to use here) which was discussed a little while ago...

So, test yourself over 45' to 50' TT all out, check HR (better yet, check power if you own a powermeter) and then use all sort of combinations where your work time is around 40' to 1h, broken in intervals with rest about 1/4 of the work time and maybe a bit higher than anaerobic threshold if your intervals are short or at AT, and either a bit under if intervals are long (say 95% up to 100%)

So

4x10 R:2'30''
4x15' R:3'
6x8' R:2'

etc...whatever you like...

use that once a week, except on recovery week, test regularly (say every 6 weeks...as you are starting, it's likely going to change rather quickly at the start)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ride lots.

--Eddie Merkx
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Bike Training Plan Request [buckles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That sounds a little too sophisticated for me. Does anyone have a detailed plan?
Quote Reply