Brian Shea
http://www.PersonalBestNutrition.com
Open-Water/Masters Swimming at the Jersey Shore:
Monmouth County NJ Ocean Swim/Masters Workouts
Last edited by: BrianPBN: Nov 21, 10 11:35
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Arizona (GAME ON!!) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I noticed that Chris Lieto was riding the shoulder passing a ton of age groupers on the right // I noticed that too, about 25 posts ago...(-;

Because of the rumble strip, he could be assured no one would pull right in front of him, and he could ride a nice straight line. Unlike the others on the left, swinging all over the place, and sounds like one pro woman at least bit it bad running into an AG'er..
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Arizona (GAME ON!!) [BrianPBN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CW looks like she is setting out on a nice, steady, 18 minute 5k. What a motor.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Arizona (GAME ON!!) [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
sounds like one pro woman at least bit it bad running into an AG'er..

Sigh, my point from another thread unfortunately rings even more true. Hope that she is okay.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vs. 4:36 at Roth. Goes to show what kind of race that one is. Super fast!

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gap @ 3.2miles:

Timo: 5:38:15
Jordan: +:29

Like i said, hope that T2 doesnt hurt him today. Without that gap, he would be riding Timo's shoulder, and getting a nice draft and paceing. He would be going a bit faster with less effort, hard to win ironmans if you do not take advantage of those freebies..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that makes sense....risk of flat, less than risk from age groupers lack of bike handling!!!

Chrissie looked like she left T2 at 5:30 pace. I know she said she wants to run 2:54, but I bet she'd not publicly saying it, but inside she wants to run 2:52!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe he is waiting for Rasmus to come up and pull him up the road...meanwhile he's sticking to his pacing plan. What mile pace are they running right now?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is it too late to put some $ on CW for the win?

J
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I dont know the pace, but he would be with Timo if he started with him, and rasmus made up a bit very fast, but seems to be settling in and not gaining as much..It would have been a lot better to run with Timo, who is running 1 second a mile faster, than to wait for Rasmus who might be running 5 seconds faster. One keeps you on your pace, the other stretches you to probably disaster...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Like i said, hope that T2 doesnt hurt him today. Without that gap, he would be riding Timo's shoulder, and getting a nice draft and paceing. He would be going a bit faster with less effort, hard to win ironmans if you do not take advantage of those freebies..

If there's one thing about Jordan, he can run a SUPER consistent IM marathon. IIRC, he ran nearly even 21k splits when he won IMC (+/- 30sec) which I don't recall EVER being done. 99% of the time, even the leaders fall off the pace, so if he can continue to run even.....

---

Brian Shea
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Maybe he is waiting for Rasmus to come up and pull him up the road...meanwhile he's sticking to his pacing plan. What mile pace are they running right now?

From Athlete tracker: Bracht did first 3.2mi @ 6:14 pace, Rapp @ 6:15, Henning @ 6:10, and Lieto @ 6:22.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm just playing devil's advocate, personally I prefer to be with my competition (or ahead) out of transition. You invented lace locks out of T2 for this reason. Probably the biggest time savings per $ vs anything ever brought to this sport.

Dev

"Kona and Clearwater 2010 45-49 World Transition Champion"
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Nov 21, 10 11:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Like i said, hope that T2 doesnt hurt him today. Without that gap, he would be riding Timo's shoulder, and getting a nice draft and paceing."

very true. but jordan really doesn't race that way. i believe he said he thought he could run 2:47, all things equal. that's 6:20 pace, and, if timo's running faster than that, my guess is that jordan would just let him go. i would guess you'll see jordan running 6:20 to 6:25 today, regardless of what timo does. unless he gets to within 3 or 4 miles from the tape and thinks he might have enough left to make a dash for it.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Arizona (GAME ON!!) [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

today, in TT or tri, there are two historical urban tenets that are now precisely opposite of what is indicated. used to be, you got yourself on the smallest frame on which you could fit, and you sized up with cranks. now, you get yourself on the biggest frame on which you can comfortably fit, and you size down in cranks. generally, 5mm less than your road race cranks. so, i road race on 175mm, tt on 170mm. this, unless we find you should size down even more. but for now, i'm recommending 5mm shorter than on the road cranks normally indicated for somebody your size.
[/reply]

Dan if you ever get bored today
could you expand on , why big frame shorter= cranks, are you saying that different frames need a change in crank size ??
I understand your argument for taller frames , but not, why you seem to correlate bigger frames with shorter cranks.
I might completely misread what you say, and would appreciate a clarification.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn, gotta go swimming. Jordan looks good and I am going to miss the finish. :>(
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Arizona (GAME ON!!) [HoyaLawya] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't wait for when Chrissie comes through at sub 6:30 pace!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Somne just posted their paces, and I guessed it exactly. One second more fot Timo, so it would have been easier for Jordan to run that quicker pace sitting on. You and I both know what sitting on in running is worth, and I bet his HR would be a couple beats less too. Rasmus is running 5 seconds a mile quicker right now, so if he keeps that up, it will take awhile to close down that gap..But they are all on low 2;40+ pace right now, so I'm guessing all on their top paces for the day...
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Arizona (GAME ON!!) [Dave Luscan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go swimming later. This is too good to miss!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try a 6:11 pace for chrissie!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well if Hillary is correct, Timo just made a huge surge, and on everyone. 1;15 to jordan, 3 1/2 on leito and rasmus is back to his 4 minutes...Have to wonder about that one though??
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Arizona (GAME ON!!) [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No disrespect to Jordan (I hope he wins), but he isn't leading the race right now. The video folks are following the wrong guy....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Faster than ALL the men except Henning. I-N-S-A-N-E!!!!

---

Brian Shea
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

I'm glad that Rasmus Henning is in the race for the guys...

She looked like she was just starting the race when she entered T2.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Arizona (GAME ON!!) [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"why big frame shorter cranks"

the frame size and crank length are disconnected issues. shorter crank, that's the subject of an article on slowtwitch proper, if i remember right. bigger frame, it's mostly this: in the "old days" frame materials were generally not stronger, lighter, more aero than stems. now they are. in fact, the stem complex today is weaker than in yesteryear. several cms of quill wedging into a steel steerer is a lot stronger than spacers around several cms of carbon steerer.

further, head tubes are more aero, and lighter, than round spacers over round steerers.

so, if you need something to make up the space in between your forearms and the ground, best is frame. second best is a tie between aero pedestals under the armrest and high profile aerobars. lagging behind is upturned stem, spacers under the stem, etc.

finally, stems ought to be shorter on tri bikes than on road bikes, but 20 or 25mm. so, a -17° 90mm stem on a larger size frame is generally better than a -6° 110mm stem with an extra cm of spacer underneath it.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply

Prev Next