Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ironman 70.3 Victoria - 2021 Race Cancelled
Quote | Reply
Got an email today saying the 2021 Victoria 70.3 Race is cancelled. Ironman provided 9 race deferral options (8 of them in the states) and the only Canadian option being 4,500 kms away in Mont Tremblant. Additionally, there is no race refund option. Wrote an email to Victoria race organizers asking for a refund but not holding my breath.

Feeling pretty low on Ironman right now!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Victoria - 2021 Race Cancelled [Fortuna09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The e-mail sounded to me like they may be scrapping the race forever. Don't see another reasonable explanation to cancel this early.

Can't believe Calgary wasn't a deferral option.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Victoria - 2021 Race Cancelled [Traphaus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's an opportunity for an independent to come in and offer a covid compliant event. When is Elk Lake warm enough to swim in for the average Canadian triathlete?

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That race is a great race. It was an indy race before it was a WTC race. Would love to see it go back to an indy race and be successful.
Id be tempted to come back and race there

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the same. I live in Oregon, but still, only one of these races are within driving distance (and I'd already been deferred into it when 2020 was cancelled a few weeks ago). They really didn't provide great options. I know it's unlikely that we'll see a refund, but i could sure use that $300 right now!

Really disappointed, though. I was looking forward to this race - it's such a beautiful area. I hope some RD up there is able to pick it up and make another great race.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Victoria - 2021 Race Cancelled [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That race was on my bucket list. We vacationed on Victoria Island a few years ago, and I really wanted to do this race because everything there is so beautiful. I hope it does not go away like St. Croix. (That one was on my bucket list too. Still is, but December as an indi race is a little tougher for my travel calendar.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wondering if there is a way to go back to your credit card company saying you paid for a product that no longer exists?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
That race is a great race. It was an indy race before it was a WTC race. Would love to see it go back to an indy race and be successful.
This. I raced it a couple of times as indy and then about 3 times as IM. Would love to go back to Elk lake and race an indy event there.

Someone asking about water temps. Around 18C in late may early june when the race takes place. Could probably swim it in early May.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Victoria - 2021 Race Cancelled [triguy1981] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triguy1981 wrote:
Wondering if there is a way to go back to your credit card company saying you paid for a product that no longer exists?

"We are sorry you must initiate a refund within 90 days of purchase."

Business always wins. Especially banks.
Last edited by: Dilbert: Aug 5, 20 11:23
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Victoria - 2021 Race Cancelled [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

If I am readying this right beginning of May would be the earliest when combining it with air temperatures for a reasonably comfortable bike ride. Could probably run the event until mid to late September as well.
Last edited by: Fortuna09: Aug 5, 20 11:31
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Victoria - 2021 Race Cancelled [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was swimming in there in late April but I wouldn't really call it comfortable ;)

Maybe it's an opportunity for Dynamics to take over or add a half option to the Elk Lake triathlon

Team Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Victoria - 2021 Race Cancelled [rj_tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That would be fantastic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this sucks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:

It was essentially the same race when Lance Watson and Lifesport ran it. It didn't have the IRonman hype and I found it more fun.
There are still plenty of people who would sign up and do the race. I hope someone does take it on. Perfect venue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RJ.... that is exactly what I was thinking. Kick off the season at Elk Lake in May , Oliver in early June, Westwood in late June, end it off at Cultus in September.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sadly no more 70.3's in BC. I guess the Washington State race will be replacing Victoria. I'm still bitter about Whistler not be available. Great but tough course and spectacular scenery. I wonder if Penticton would do both the full & half at the same??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fortuna09 wrote:
Got an email today saying the 2021 Victoria 70.3 Race is cancelled. Ironman provided 9 race deferral options (8 of them in the states) and the only Canadian option being 4,500 kms away in Mont Tremblant. Additionally, there is no race refund option. Wrote an email to Victoria race organizers asking for a refund but not holding my breath.

Feeling pretty low on Ironman right now!

100% agree that the options being presented are unsatisfactory. I entered this race because it’s in my own backyard and requires minimal travel expenses.

To be given Washington 70.3 as the closest travel option now requires significant travel and accommodation expenses. We signed up to race in Victoria so if that can’t happen after trying to defer the date a couple times already then give us our money back.

I also don’t buy into the sunk costs and given some of what’s out there about Ironman’s debt I’m guessing our entry fees are long gone.

I would gladly support Dynamic or Lifesport bringing this back as a grassroots race.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Victoria - 2021 Race Cancelled [writersblock12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My suspicions is this...

Ironman knows this year is gone. It's looking more and more likely that 2021 is not going to happen either. If the keep the shell game moving, and give enough ridiculous deferral options they will get enough people to simply walk away from their entry fees. Expecting people to pick a race thousands of miles away more than a year from now is not a suitable option. The few that remain will eventually be cancelled and they will either file for bankruptcy or give some sort of partial refund back to those people. And then file for bankruptcy so that they can rebuild for 2022 or 2023.

I don't realistically think racing is going to happen even in 2021. Best case scenario there is a vaccine that might be available next spring/summer. Ironman knows this as well as anyone else does and is running the game this way to survive as long as they can.

I was registered for both IMVictoria and IMWa. I can't defer IMVictoria to IMWa because I've already deferred IMWa. Leaving me with the next closest option being an airplane ride away instead of an hour drive.

I hope Ironman does the right thing at at least start issuing some sort of refund. But like others have said, given their debt situation. I suspect the fees we all paid 8 months ago are long gone.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Victoria - 2021 Race Cancelled [Geek_fit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Im hoping that this will breathe some life back into the local grassroots race scene. The shine has been off Ironmand brand for me for a few years but this treatment is harsh...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man, that is a depressing post. Possible, but depressing.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Geek_fit wrote:
My suspicions is this...

Ironman knows this year is gone. It's looking more and more likely that 2021 is not going to happen either. If the keep the shell game moving, and give enough ridiculous deferral options they will get enough people to simply walk away from their entry fees. Expecting people to pick a race thousands of miles away more than a year from now is not a suitable option. The few that remain will eventually be cancelled and they will either file for bankruptcy or give some sort of partial refund back to those people. And then file for bankruptcy so that they can rebuild for 2022 or 2023.

I don't realistically think racing is going to happen even in 2021. Best case scenario there is a vaccine that might be available next spring/summer. Ironman knows this as well as anyone else does and is running the game this way to survive as long as they can.

I was registered for both IMVictoria and IMWa. I can't defer IMVictoria to IMWa because I've already deferred IMWa. Leaving me with the next closest option being an airplane ride away instead of an hour drive.

I hope Ironman does the right thing at at least start issuing some sort of refund. But like others have said, given their debt situation. I suspect the fees we all paid 8 months ago are long gone.

I guess the right thing was actually providing options for deferrals and transfers. As Covid19 is an act of God, they could just cancel events and keep out money and do nothing. So at least they are trying.

My 2 cents is we all may be better off targeting local triathlons. Triathlon can be done without massive scale Mdot events. Many 70.3 local events were bought by Ironman in the first place (ex: Victoria 70.3), so its not the end of the world if many Mdot events go away although its tough for Ironman employees. It will give local events a chance to emerge back in importance if people choose to go do them.

I don't see why there can't be several local events in Victoria in 2021 and beyond. We don't need a large corporation to put on events for us. The sport will survive fine next year with or without Ironman events. I see this as an opportunit for local communities to take back their own events or step in and add their own with their own flavour.

The sport is more than Ironman (and I say that as a person who has done 31 full, >50 half, kona 3x....but I've done something like 4-5x those numbers in local events...just been around long enough doing all kinds of events)
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Victoria - 2021 Race Cancelled [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I completely agree.

Digging through it all to try and find a glimmer of hope.... It might be that local run races start to thrive again. I see this as a big opportunity for outfits to pick up the mantle of these races.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 Victoria - 2021 Race Cancelled [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is another race that takes place at Elk Lake - a sprint, olympic and duathlon - on the August long weekend and is put on by Dynamics Race events. It's the old Self Transcendence Triathlon. They run half distance races at other events and I think they could add a half option to this one to fill that void. Or potentially even take over the June date.

Team Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I strongly encourage everyone entered to check their respective Active accounts. Mine shows that I am yet to sign a waiver Ironman is referencing in an email which absolves them of a refund. See the text they quote below.

“If the race course or Event is changed, modified, delayed, or cancelled for any reason, including but not limited to acts of God or the elements (including without limitation, wind, rough water, rain, hail, hurricane, tornado, earthquake), acts of terrorism, fire, threatened or actual strike, labor difficulty, work stoppage, insurrection, war, public disaster, flood, unavoidable casualty, race course conditions, or any other cause beyond the control of IRONMAN, there will be no refund of IRONMAN’s entry fee or any other costs incurred in connection with the Event.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was happy to take the deferral to another race to see something new. Never been to Chattanooga and have heard great things about the event (if it happens). I'm the type that rarely does the same race twice though so I can see how it would piss some locals off who prefer staying in their comfort zone.
Quote Reply

Prev Next