Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman 70.3 St. George (official race day thread) [messien] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There may be a language thing at work. What you said is not the typical meaning of "prick", at least in the US.

His statements may seem "matter of fact", but I don't believe they actually are. He is always playing games! Michael Jordan and other champs did that as well.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 St. George (official race day thread) [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry Fleck but track and field is an amazing spectator friendly sport. Alas, watching Alistair all day for 3.5hrs isn't great tv. It's just sad that no one came close enough to make it a real race right until the very end. I really don't think AB was running close to hard.

The money isn't there, it's not worth televising and costs too much to produce.

Fleck wrote:
I think we have to blame ourselves, very few people will sit down to watch triathlon for 3+ hours.

At the recent Canadian Indoor Track & Field Championships, that I did the Live Stream Commentary for Athletics Canada in Partnership with RunnerSpace, over the course of the roughly 7 hour day of competition on the main day (Saturday) we had over 15,000 unique viewers. This was with none of the real marquee Canadian stars of Athletics competing such as sprinter Andre DeGrasse - if DeGrasse had been taking part, rough guess the numbers may have been more than twice that!

With the right promotion and production, I think you would get some decent numbers watching a 3 hour triathlon. When we did cover the Ironman Canada(Penticton) - we compressed it all - only going live with less than an hour in the bike for the Pro men. We shot some "tape" of the swim and did some oncourse "tape" of the bike leg to show and talk over ounce live. So we then covered the last little bit of the bike, T2, and the whole run and stay live until the top 3 women were in and then wrap! Total live run time for the show was a little less than 5 hours!
Last edited by: EnderWiggan: May 6, 17 16:12
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 St. George (official race day thread) [Adman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Adman wrote:
The biggest market for triathlon is the Olympics and by extension ITU - pure and simple.

Ironman coverage is pitiful even in the States. The US might be triathlon's biggest market, but not by a long way.

Perhaps his goal is to have "Sir" before his name.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 St. George (official race day thread) [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
sp1ke wrote:
I'm sure he timed it to exactly :33s

The GMAN wrote:
sp1ke wrote:
Solid race for AB but losing 3 min on the run to Lionel Sanders... Not impressed.

There's running fast enough to win and running as best you can.

You understand the difference, right?

So you don't understand the concept. Gotcha.

Not only does he not get it he must have never seen Brownlee race. If you want to know if he's going hard, just see if he's running in a straight line before the finish. I don't think there's ever been someone racing tris like he does, he looks like he'd rather passout dead before the finish before he lets someone beat him.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 St. George (official race day thread) [messien] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

messien wrote:
MI_Mumps wrote:

I've watched him do it for years, podium interview after podium interview. That's because he's a prick. Fekete Blob will get his knickers in a twist over that, but he is a demonstrable prick. An ass. Not up on my BritSlang, but perhaps a right tosser?

He's also an incredible athlete and competitor. Those often go hand in hand, right?

Never seen the value in the petty interviews responses myself, but I guess you can't argue with the results.

A prick is someone who goes out of their way to harm or slight someone else. That's not Brownlee. Brownlee's a competitor, the motto he abides by is 'he who dares wins'. He can give seemingly very matter of fact statements but's just typical of a gnarly northerner.

Americans are so used to everything being extremely sanitised with these hyper sensitive PR-esque statements.

The Brits on here seem sensitive to any notion that Brownlee would do anything other than totally dominate this race, and how dare anyone suggest otherwise. Well, you can breathe a sign of relief now that he has his big 33 second victory in impressive fashion. All is right in the world.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 St. George (official race day thread) [proftri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I disagree. Olympics are king.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 St. George (official race day thread) [JBell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got to love Lionel's post race tweet:)

"Congrats @AliBrownleetri. We have officially entered the New Era. On my way to the pool as we speak.."

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 St. George (official race day thread) [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:

"Congrats @AliBrownleetri. We have officially entered the New Era. On my way to the pool as we speak.."

If I were Brownlee I'd tweet back, "Pool, huh? Like it will matter."

:-)

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Adman wrote:
I totally agree. I think at this distance the top ITU level athletes are on a different level from the top Ironman athletes. Frodeno, Gomez and now Brownlee have pretty much waltzed in and cleaned up very early on.

Completely agree. I really think Brownlee will leave Frodo in the dust and with Gomez focusing on ITU, does 70.3 and IM racing really provide enough of a challenge?

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 St. George (official race day thread) [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
Adman wrote:
I totally agree. I think at this distance the top ITU level athletes are on a different level from the top Ironman athletes. Frodeno, Gomez and now Brownlee have pretty much waltzed in and cleaned up very early on.

Completely agree. I really think Brownlee will leave Frodo in the dust and with Gomez focusing on ITU, does 70.3 and IM racing really provide enough of a challenge?

I am not writing off Frodo in the Brownlee vs Frodo battle. They will both swim and bike together and then go head to head during the run. The assumption is that AB will outrun Frodo. I don't know if that is a totally good assumption for sure at 70.3 distance. I believe they are going head to head pretty soon, so let's see!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 St. George (official race day thread) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[/quote]

. I believe they are going head to head pretty soon, so let's see![/quote]
What race?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 St. George (official race day thread) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hope so!..... but AB just showed he's in a different league than Frodo on the bike. Am I wrong on that point?

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 St. George (official race day thread) [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hyperbole is fun, but let's be serious. We can have that conversation after he wins 70.3 Worlds and Kona. Right now he had a helluva race and has tons of potential. I'm in the "he'll get hurt less going long" camp, and I'd expect him to win both and go for GOAT status.

All that being said, I doubt he would say it is going to be easy. I'd love to see an Ironwar with him and Frodo!

If ITU goes to the sprint distance for 2020 I'd expect Gomez to fully commit to going long as well - that doesn't seem to be his distance. Love to see those three duke it out!

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 St. George (official race day thread) [danstu4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ive been consistent in saying, soon as AB moves over to Kona change the zip Code on 2nd place. It wont be close. I think the only one who can get close is Gomez. And it will need to be a very hot day for that.

This is not to suggest my heart doesnt cheer for LS. Im canadian. Saw him swim when he started and told Barrie to call Cycling Canada because we have a track cycling medalist here but not a triathlete!!!! Even from start it was clear watching his bike power. World class. Now he's chipping away at swim and definitely proving me wrong which is awesome. Its getting better.

Going to get harder though with Frodo & Gomez & AB flooring the swim and gap everyone. 2018 show down it looks like. Looking forward to it

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 St. George (official race day thread) [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
33s... GTFO

Grant.Reuter wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
sp1ke wrote:
I'm sure he timed it to exactly :33s

The GMAN wrote:
sp1ke wrote:
Solid race for AB but losing 3 min on the run to Lionel Sanders... Not impressed.

There's running fast enough to win and running as best you can.

You understand the difference, right?

So you don't understand the concept. Gotcha.

Not only does he not get it he must have never seen Brownlee race. If you want to know if he's going hard, just see if he's running in a straight line before the finish. I don't think there's ever been someone racing tris like he does, he looks like he'd rather passout dead before the finish before he lets someone beat him.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 St. George (official race day thread) [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

What a dick reply!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 St. George (official race day thread) [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike Alexander wrote:

. I believe they are going head to head pretty soon, so let's see![/quote]

What race?[/quote]

I see Frodo and Brownlee on the Barcelona 70.3 start list:

http://www.ironman.com/...startlist%20pros.pdf
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
95% of citizens in the USA know what Kona is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
sciguy wrote:

:-)

Yeah cause we all know the colonels been racing sooo long now that he's got zero room for improvement .
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 St. George (official race day thread) [proftri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
proftri wrote:
Halvard wrote:
Maybe AB is not big in the USA, but the USA is not his market.

Well, with no disrespect intended, he ought to be very interested in making the USA his market, and if he's not, then he has an unusual business sense.

Except that being a household name in the UK is a bigger market than being well know triathlon name in the states.

Of course, if he could crack being a household name in the States.... but have any triathletes ever truly done that? Is Gwen? Were Mark and Dave?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
proftri wrote:
Not joking one bit. Who makes more money off of sponsorships? IM athletes or ITU athletes? AB made himself a good amount of money today and very little of it was in prize money. Outside of a relatively small group of triathlon devotees, who paid any attention whatsoever to Super League? Who pays any attention to ITU? The only triathlon event that resonates at all with the larger American public (and, therefore, opens up larger sponsorship opportunities) is Kona, and today was a stepping stone toward that for AB.

You missed one very important word out - American

There rest of the world is well aware that Ironman <> Triathlon and Triathlon <> Ironman.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Adman wrote:
AB is huge over here in the UK. He's worth a few mil from his company accounts.

ITU vs IM? Put it this way ask anyone in the UK who Leanda Cave is and they won't have a clue.

Nevermind Leanda (who in any case is more Aussie than Brit), most wouldn't know who Chrissie is. And of those none tri folks who do, most would know her as a parkrun ambassador rather than as 4 time Ironman world champion.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 St. George (official race day thread) [OddSlug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OddSlug wrote:
Adman wrote:
AB is huge over here in the UK. He's worth a few mil from his company accounts.

ITU vs IM? Put it this way ask anyone in the UK who Leanda Cave is and they won't have a clue.

Even more stark example, I was talking about Chrissie when she was running in the London Marathon and I really don't think she is widely known in the UK.

Nope.

Triathlon is a niche sport.

Outside the US, long distance triathlon is a niche distance of a niche sport.

In the UK, when Chrissie was racing, there was only one IM and one 70.3 (amongst many many long distance races), Chrissie only ever raced the 70.3 once, before she won her first Kona.

She is barely known as a triathlete in the UK. She is somewhat known as a parkrun ambassador.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 St. George (official race day thread) [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:
Adman wrote:
From what I know he wasn't sick but I don't think the lack of fitness and heat helped.

I think something people should start to be aware of is Ali can be quite clever with his quotes to the press. Take today for instance - the quote about not training after the Olympics was deliberate - basically saying to LS who is right next to him "I can take time off, train for a few months and still beat you at your best".

He's been doing stuff like that for years on ITU.

I've watched him do it for years, podium interview after podium interview. That's because he's a prick. Fekete Blob will get his knickers in a twist over that, but he is a demonstrable prick. An ass. Not up on my BritSlang, but perhaps a right tosser?

He's also an incredible athlete and competitor. Those often go hand in hand, right?

Never seen the value in the petty interviews responses myself, but I guess you can't argue with the results.

AB's not stupid - earned a place at Oxford (or was is Cambridge?) to study medicine - so he knows what he's saying, and how it might be taken.

But, he's also plain speaking and generally doesn't bullshit.

He didn't give that answer to rub LS's face in it, he answered a straight question with a straight answer, but he would have been well aware that that answer also put down a marker for all his rivals - this is what I can do after 6 months on the piss and only a couple of months "proper" training, be afraid!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 70.3 St. George (official race day thread) [Pat0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it was anywhere remotely approaching even the vaguest outskirts of 95% of Americans knowing what Kona was we wouldn't all have been following this race on live timing. This comment thread would also be closer to being on page 150 than just reaching 15. There is no way in hell it's at all close to 95%.
Last edited by: messien: May 6, 17 23:45
Quote Reply

Prev Next