Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Iron Joe at GFT!
Quote | Reply
Just heard a rumer the Joe Bonness has been seen in Clermont and will do the Great Floridian. He's also signed up for Ironman Florida. 3 Ironmans in 4 weekends. Bet he wins the Great Floridian on Saturday and also his age-group at Ironman Florida. Z
Quote Reply
Re: Iron Joe at GFT! [tomziebart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, that is a fast rumor. I just found out at 5:30 myself. :-) We should take bets if he makes it to Clearwater in one piece.

Support Crew

Support Crew
This information contained herein has been assembled for your assistance and convenience. It is believed to be reliable, however, its accuracy cannot be guaranteed. All opinions shown are subject to change without notice.
Quote Reply
Re: Iron Joe at GFT! [support crew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Didn't you say he had developed some sort cardio-related malady a couple years back, after IMFL '05? That man is truly made of IRON.

T.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sue, I thought you posted after Hawaii Joe was not doing to do GFT? Does he not listen to you? Smile

Tell him have fun. But, since you also posted he has had a few medical issues, is this really healthy?

Now, one thing I struggle with as I have gotten better is the self imposed pressure to continue.
Does any of these type of feelings drive Joe? I know my goal is to race in my 70's, so I keep telling myself
I can not afford to use it all quickly.

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Iron Joe at GFT! [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He has an enlarged atria and has a predisposition for atrial fibrilation. He had a bad episode during IMAZ in 2005 that lasted 10 days. He worked to figure out what triggers the attacks and avoids them. This includes, cold water swims and too much fish oil. By avoiding these, so far, 7 IM later, he has been healthy. No further episodes. Once again I say, "don't ever try anything Joe Bonness tells you to do".

I am waiting for that day when I have to say "too far" like in the old Subaru commercial as the SUV guy goes over the falls. No I don't tell Joe what to do, he's do it anyway and then I would be mad.

Dave, Joe will sum up your question with a musical quote "its better to burn out, rust never sleeps".

Support Crew
This information contained herein has been assembled for your assistance and convenience. It is believed to be reliable, however, its accuracy cannot be guaranteed. All opinions shown are subject to change without notice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sue, tell Joe, nice line!! Again, have fun!!

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, good luck to him. There's something about the GFT that some of us find alluring. I've done it 5 times since '95 and will be back next year. And this year's bike course certainly seems made for him. Fred's going back to the course largely as it was in the mid to late '90s, it looks like. Except for that blasted Sugarloaf Mountain climb. The run's no strain, either, so Joe should have a good day. I say get 'em all in while you can.

T.
Matt Franklin's "Final Strike" is coming
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Just heard a rumer the Joe Bonness has been seen in Clermont and will do the Great Floridian. He's also signed up for Ironman Florida. 3 Ironmans in 4 weekends. Bet he wins the Great Floridian on Saturday and also his age-group at Ironman Florida. Z
Hes done the triple a number of times already hawaii , gft then florida couple or three times in 21 days.
And won GFT at 50 then go 9:12? at florida. a week later..
If you take into account wisconsin that would be 4 ironman in 7 weeks and 6 days......OUCH then I believe support crew says hes doing florida 70.3 which is a week later?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Joe is my role model! I think it's great. You only need to do one IM build in training and then you do a bunch of races close together. I doubt my wife would allow it, but someday I would love to try what Joe is doing. I'll never reach his level of athleticism/speed, but I'd love to give the endurance challenge a try!

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Wow, that is a fast rumor. I just found out at 5:30 myself. :-) We should take bets if he makes it to Clearwater in one piece.

Support Crew

That is hilarious !

Tomziebart's post must have come in via Blackberry or something :)

I wonder if Slowtwitch can tell me where interest rates in the US are going to be in 5 years time ?

"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream" - Les Brown
"Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment" - Jim Rohn
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GO JOE!

Ruble Triathlon Coaching Average of 30 coached PR's per year
Florida Triathlon Camps Train in North Americas winter training destination
Ruble Racing Events Midwest Triathlon Racing
Ruble Timing Midwest Event Timing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
We should take bets if he makes it to Clearwater in one piece.

Support Crew

I'll take that action. I'd never bet against Joe.

-C

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: Iron Joe at GFT! [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Welcome to the insanity of the Bonness Triple! Smile Smile Smile Looking forward to getting my butt kicked by one of the best!

Mad
Quote Reply
Re: Iron Joe at GFT! [triguy42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Welcome to the insanity of the Bonness Triple! Smile Smile Smile Looking forward to getting my butt kicked by one of the best!
You're doing it? Kona-GFT-IMFL? That's huge.

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: Iron Joe at GFT! [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hah, hell no! I'll be happy to finish this one race in good shape and be able to do the Miami Man half in 3 weeks! I should have said "Welcome back the insanity of the Bonness Triple!" Joe didn't do it last year, he let some other guy win the GFT. Sometimes it's good to allow someone else win every few years. Smile

Mad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why can't Grogan just keep his mouth shut? Tom Z. came in the store as news broke in Clermont that Iron Joe is coming to GFT. The media has been crazy here since this hit the wire. College Gameday is backing out of Lexington now (UF/UK game) and coming to Clermont. This is huge.

Below is the scene near Waterfront Park in Downtown Clermont...a Media Circus since Joes decision.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
.... he wins the Great Floridian on Saturday and also his age-group at Ironman Florida.

so what else is new? :)

Quote Reply
Re: Iron Joe at GFT! [TriBodyboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
" Joe is my role model!"

Is that why you're doing so many long races?
You and Joe might need the 12 step plan for Trianon.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: Iron Joe at GFT! [triguy42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stole this picture from the Bonness archive (K9-Sue).
the Bonness funny bike back in the day..

Last edited by: KJGrog: Oct 19, 07 10:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wasn't planning on it, but looks like I'm gonna be running over to Clermont this weekend!

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt
Quote Reply
Re: Iron Joe at GFT! [David in FL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dave...
Stop by aid station #2 during the GFT run. Hopefully the keg will still be going before we head to station #5 at 7 pm.

Quote Reply
Re: Iron Joe at GFT! [docfuel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha, ha. Yeah, that's why I signed up for the Triple T. So I can get the back-to-back triathlon action going!

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply