Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Introducing 51 SPEEDSHOP: The Store Is Now Open
Quote | Reply
I wanted to let everyone know that the 51-Speedshop.com web store is open. We’ve worked very hard over the last two years to make this happen. This is a very exciting, yet challenging venture to undertake.

A bit of my background and the mission behind 51 Speedshop...

I’ve been a lifelong student of human movement, whatever the sport. I’ve always been interested in orthodoxy (something Dan talks about often). It wasn’t until I moved to Boulder, Colorado 11 years ago, that I considered making this passion my profession. I had an eye for bike fit and proper positioning before I ever understood protocol or process. I learned much of the fundamentals of bike fit by attending FIST clinics and my years working at Retul. I’ve been a practicing commercial bike fitter for the past 10 years.

I started 51 Speedshop because through my experience as a fitter, I saw opportunity in the space between product and rider performance. I sought out engineers and manufacturers passionate about high performance cycling with proven industry records within innovative high-quality product to join me.

With over two decades of experience in the study of human performance in both education and application, we have a deep understanding of rider-equipment interface and the opportunity of bicycle contact points in supporting a seamless connection between bicycle and body. Together, we are bringing to fruition best in class product to improve rider performance and experience through a focus on comfort, positioning, and aerodynamics.

We have several other products in the manufacturing phase and they should be available sometime later this summer. We will strive to be "open books" about our product design inputs and answer any questions you might have.

Mat Steinmetz

51-SPEEDSHOP.com - instagram - @matsteinmetz - facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Introducing 51 SPEEDSHOP: The Store Is Now Open [Mat Steinmetz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats, Mat. Website looks great and I’ve been eyeing the extensions for awhile now. I’m looking forward to ordering some extensions and cups!

https://twitter.com/mungub
Quote Reply
Re: Introducing 51 SPEEDSHOP: The Store Is Now Open [Mat Steinmetz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How’d you come up with the name “51 Speedshop”? I’ve always wondered that since first hearing about the work you do

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can I get a discount?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hallelujah! Been waiting for your extensions to come to the market.

I second the "How did you come up with the name?" question.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When would we find out more information on the aerobar?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got the ultimate extensions. fancy box ;)

when will the cups be available?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mat Steinmetz wrote:
I wanted to let everyone know that the 51-Speedshop.com web store is open. We’ve worked very hard over the last two years to make this happen. This is a very exciting, yet challenging venture to undertake.

A bit of my background and the mission behind 51 Speedshop...

I’ve been a lifelong student of human movement, whatever the sport. I’ve always been interested in orthodoxy (something Dan talks about often). It wasn’t until I moved to Boulder, Colorado 11 years ago, that I considered making this passion my profession. I had an eye for bike fit and proper positioning before I ever understood protocol or process. I learned much of the fundamentals of bike fit by attending FIST clinics and my years working at Retul. I’ve been a practicing commercial bike fitter for the past 10 years.

I started 51 Speedshop because through my experience as a fitter, I saw opportunity in the space between product and rider performance. I sought out engineers and manufacturers passionate about high performance cycling with proven industry records within innovative high-quality product to join me.

With over two decades of experience in the study of human performance in both education and application, we have a deep understanding of rider-equipment interface and the opportunity of bicycle contact points in supporting a seamless connection between bicycle and body. Together, we are bringing to fruition best in class product to improve rider performance and experience through a focus on comfort, positioning, and aerodynamics.

We have several other products in the manufacturing phase and they should be available sometime later this summer. We will strive to be "open books" about our product design inputs and answer any questions you might have.

Congrats Mat!
Quote Reply
Re: Introducing 51 SPEEDSHOP: The Store Is Now Open [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
How’d you come up with the name “51 Speedshop”? I’ve always wondered that since first hearing about the work you do

When I first ventured out to start my own business, I was doing a number of things...coaching, bike fit, product consulting, aero testing, etc. I knew that I didn't want to name the business after myself and started thinking of other options. I consulted with a friend and one of the options he came up with was "51". I liked it and added the "Speedshop" to it.

The significance of the number 51 is as follows...

51 is considered to be the most prized bib number to wear in grand tour cycling. This began in 1969 when Eddy Merckx won his first Tour de France, marking the beginning of a run where 4 tour victories over the next 9 years were won from the rider wearing #51. Pinned to these legendary Tour de France winners: Eddie Merckx, Bernard Hinault, and Bernard Thevenet the number 51 became “lucky” during the classic era of cycling.

I thought it fitting to start the business with a little luck.

Mat Steinmetz

Quote Reply
Re: Introducing 51 SPEEDSHOP: The Store Is Now Open [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Can I get a discount?

You any good?

Mat Steinmetz

Quote Reply
Re: Introducing 51 SPEEDSHOP: The Store Is Now Open [bloodyshogun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
When would we find out more information on the aerobar?

It's in production right now. I've had a sets out in the wild for that last few months for road testing. I'll put something together soon with details.

Mat Steinmetz

Quote Reply
Re: Introducing 51 SPEEDSHOP: The Store Is Now Open [sooners175] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
when will the cups be available?

Thanks for your support.

Cups are also in production and should be available sometime this summer. I don't have an exact date yet.

Mat Steinmetz

Quote Reply
Re: Introducing 51 SPEEDSHOP: The Store Is Now Open [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you.

Mat Steinmetz

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just an FYI: the link in your signature still sends people to what seems to have been a temporary or placeholder website.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mat Steinmetz wrote:
Quote:
Can I get a discount?

You any good?

At what?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's my addition to this thread and I'm going to give it this disclosure: I know Mat. Mat's a friend of mine and you senator are no Mat Steinmetz....er....I mean we've worked together and I respect him immensely.

I've been training and racing on 51 Speedshop cups and extensions for a while and I love them. I can't wait to stock the TTS Fit Studio with these (If Mat allows that) as I know lots of riders will find comfort with Mat's devices. The cups have three elements that I cherish: they're a bit narrower than the stuff that floods the market. This allows the arm to be held in position and reduces the need for shoulder, chest, and back muscles to work unnecessarily keep arm/elbow from slipping wider 'til it hits the wing of another pads The cup is sturdy, I think many of us have suffered from plastic or thin carbon arm-pads that flexed away with weight on them. And lastly the pad itself has a skin to it that doesn't absorb sweat and channels that allow perspiration to run off. The extensions are great too as I love seeing an athletes hands up in front of their head a bit more for comfort, control and aerodynamics.

Happy for you Mat. I know this is a project you've poured lots of time and energy into, and I know you'll be thrilled when you start getting customer feedback on your design.

Ian
Quote Reply
Re: Introducing 51 SPEEDSHOP: The Store Is Now Open [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ordered up the Ultimate extensions... exactly what i have been loking for. Looks like they arrive on Thursday, cant wait. Thanks for putting in all the effort!

Quote | Reply
I've been riding the ultimate extensions for a little over a month.

They are incredibly light and stiff. Lighter than the zipp evo's (carbon) and stiffer than them as well. I have already hit plenty of bumps and potholes with them and haven't had an issue. I have found them more comfortable as well and I ended up rotating my di2 buttons so they are facing the ground and shifting with my pointer finger which I found makes things much easier (You couldn't really do this because of the location of the wiring hole on the zipps). I'm currently not running any bar tape on them as I don't feel there is a need with the textured surface at near the shifters. You have more options for a computer mount with these bars compared to the oddly shaped zipps.

I'll be getting the cups/pads whenever they are available.

Thanks Mat!

blog
Last edited by: stevej: Jun 13, 18 4:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will you still be operating your fit business out of Colorado Multisport and what are your plans for aero testing? I saw you were trying the body scan software on Facebook.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mat Steinmetz wrote:
Quote:
Can I get a discount?

You any good?

I can hang a wheel like no one's business.

Congrats buddy. Still rockin' the ugly ass pads, but at least I'll have some bars. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Once again congrats on getting everything up and running. Cant wait to order the cups (like really I cant wait, let me give you my money please! If you had a pre order I am in!)

I have loved the ultimate extensions. As Steve said, much stiffer then the zipp evo 110, great job of putting hands in right position. Been over the moon happy with them.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations and great job, Mat! I like the ergonomic details.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Introducing 51 SPEEDSHOP: The Store Is Now Open [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the heads up Andy...made the change.

Mat Steinmetz

Quote Reply
Re: Introducing 51 SPEEDSHOP: The Store Is Now Open [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Ian...glad you're liking everything.

Happy to supply you product! We will be supporting bike fitters and establishing a limited dealer network.

Mat Steinmetz

Quote Reply
Re: Introducing 51 SPEEDSHOP: The Store Is Now Open [gregtay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Ordered up the Ultimate extensions... exactly what i have been loking for. Looks like they arrive on Thursday, cant wait. Thanks for putting in all the effort!

Thanks for your support Greg. Let us know what you think once they arrive.

Mat Steinmetz

Quote Reply

Prev Next