Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Intervals on a treadmill?
Quote | Reply
After focussing on a lot of early season low intensity running, I decided I needed to pick it up a notch. Today spent an hour doing progressive intervals on a treadmill. After warm up did 3 min hard with 2 min slow progressing faster with each cycle. Total time about one hour. Could only get up to about 6:30 mile due to speed limit on treadmill.

Does this seem like a logical way to do it if you don't have access to a track? Does once a week sound about right? I am training for IM CDA and the run is my weak link.
Thanks,
Mike
Quote Reply
Re: Intervals on a treadmill? [TriMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
last year training for im placid i did most of my weekly speed and hill work on the treadmill. especially over the winter where the roads suck here (rochester, ny) for that kind of thing. i prefer to do intervals on the tm because it forces me to keep pace, kinda like using ergo mode on the computrainer when you set the watts.

anyway, i did this once a week leading up to the ironman and ran a decent 4:03 marathon. hope this helps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
interval training on tread or track is fantastic. also, never underestimate the freedom and instincts you can feel and develop from doing them on the road free form...this too is excellent.

first off, doing an hour out of the gait, IMO, is way too much. I would recommed NOT doing that again, and to shorten your workout time and build up 5%-8% a week.

so, next time do them for just 20 or 30 minutes total, and then increase the next week (the total workout time) by no more than 5%.

another way to do it is to keep your workout overall time short (say 30-40 minutes) and gradually reduce your interval recovery time by 3-5% a week. when you max this out (and you basically have no recovery time), then you can increase your speed and start agian from the top, but at a faster pace, gradually reducing your recovery time. it's a long process that should not be rushed, but the benefits will pay you triple.

there are so many books on this stuff, it's interesting to learn and see what's best for your program...(and best of all not as complicated as alot of tri stuff)

kc
Quote Reply
Re: Intervals on a treadmill? [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"first off, doing an hour out of the gait, IMO, is way too much."

You may be right there. I am kinda hurting right now. That session was way harder on me than the low intensity stuff I have been doing. Thanks for the advise on lowering rest period over time. Sounds like good advise.
Mike

ps: one of these days you will have to tell us the story of this kitty nick name. I'm thinking there is an interesting story there...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes they work, especilaly in winter...I currently do a 5 - 10 min warmup, then do 4 minutes hard, building to very fast (using HR and speed as a gauge) I can go...then recover 2 minutes, repeat 4 - 8 times depending on where I am at in my training plan....works great for me...helps build foot speed and gets my system familiar with that higher intensity stuff...ususlly taked me 30 - 45 minutes, including w/u, cool down...except when I repeat 7 - 8 times...

Listen to othet post...no need to start with as much as you are doing....

"We will either find a way, or make one." -- Hannibal, General of the Carthaginian Army
Quote Reply
Re: Intervals on a treadmill? [lacverde] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do a 5k interval set each week on the treadmill. 5 min warmup before, 5 after. Start at 7:30 and step it up to a little above 6:00. After a few weeks of doing this I am no longer blowing up at top speed. I certainly couldn't do this for an hour. So far this once a week fast run has made a big difference in my average speed on my mid distance days. Good luck!
Quote Reply