Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Interior Bike Rack for Nissan Xterra
Quote | Reply
Can anyone recommend an interior bike rack for the Xterra? The one that Yakima makes for the Xterra appears like it would not accommodate a tri bike (the aerobars seem like they would hit the trunk). Here is a link to the Yakima one. http://www.xterraparts.com/...uct_Code=999R1-00001

I would like to carry the bike inside because I am anal about keeping it clean, and it is brand new. I also don't want to put it on a roof rack that stresses the frame and it gets hit with stones, rain, etc. Any ideas?

------------------------------------------------------------
Matt
NSDQ!
Quote Reply
Re: Interior Bike Rack for Nissan Xterra [citadeltri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought I would use the interior to haul my bikes as well-- turns out it's just not big enough (seat too tall, and aerobars too long). I didn't want to have to assemble my bike every time I took it somewhere--- When I want to haul a bike inside--I put the seats down and just lay it on it's side.--- I did buy a hitch mount rack that I really like-- not as protected as inside, but much more protected than on the roof (from flying debris) and much easier to get the bikes on the rack.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 2x6 cut the width of my suburban. I put 2 skewer mounts on it with heavy duty screws . my road bike will go in either front or rear first, but my tt bike goes in front first only because the aerobars have to protrude over the back (2nd row) seat. (I removed my third seat.) maybe a similar setup will work for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why is the bike in more danger on your roof than when you ride it. I don't think that road debris is much of a factor on a roof rack, nor do I think that stress on the frame is such a big deal either. I use a roof rack on my explorer and have never had a problem. I drove 1600 miles round trip to lake placid, no scratches, dents, and I was route 95 most of the way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
may sound a bit obvious, but- just fold one of the seats down, take off the front wheel and you are set! stand the bike up straight, leaning on one side of the interior. i do this, and I ride a 60cm bike. have to lower the seat, but that takes 5 seconds. you will have more cargo room around your bike without one of the interior racks.

if you are transoorting two bikes and have more than 2 people in the car, get a hitch mount as mentioned above. for a rack, best way to go for that truck.
Quote Reply
Re: Interior Bike Rack for Nissan Xterra [garlicbreath] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's exactly what I do, and still leaves plenty of room for other gear. For longer trips or multiple bikes, take off both wheels and run the bikes opposite directions. Use bungees and the tie down hooks on the floor to secure the bikes.

"In case of flood climb to safety"
Quote Reply