Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Inside-out sports bike shipment = six stars
Quote | Reply
I've seen a lot of questions regarding bike shipment/flying on the forum earlier with the season gearing up. I shipped my bike to the florida half using the inside-out sports full service option. I packed the bike and shipped it to their handler in Florida. I was very anal about packing it and was overly cautious with everything. I wasn't concerned with it arriving without damage but was still a little concerned with the return service given I had never shipped with them. When I registered for the race I checked to see if my bike was ready. It was. I took it for a quick spin and the setup was great. I marked the seat tube, aero bars, etc. with tape in order for them to line them up to where they were when I removed them. I had one small problem with the 3rd and 4th cogs on the cassette and they fixed it immediately with just a little tweeking. After the race I simply took it back to their tent in the village and dropped it off for them to break it down and return it. I got it back yesterday. They shipped on Monday. When I opened my bike box I was amazed that the bike was better packed then when I had packed it myself. When I packed my bike it looked as though I pack and ship my box maybe twice a year. When they packed it it was obvious they pack 1,000's a year. It was rock solid disc and all. They obviously took great care in order to ensure my bike would arrive unharmed. I am very very impressed. I guess I'm not used to such a professional service. The people working for Inside-out Sports are top notch. Great job guys, you're service was greatly appreciated. I cannot recommend this service enough if you're looking to travel to an IM event. BTW, I'm in no way associated with the bike service/industry other than I buy bikes to ride. I just appreciated their service and thought they earned my acknowledgement.
Quote Reply
Re: Inside-out sports bike shipment = six stars [Burt'sH2OBottle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But what was the cost - shipping plus inside out service?

My total cost was $100 round trip ($80 on continental one way and a $20 tip to get it back - hehe).

I'm really interested in that service that doesn't even break your bike down. Take yor bike to LBS, truck comes by and they secure it in a "rack", deliver it to LBS near IM, and yoiur set. They had a booth at Disney, even though they currently only do full IMs like AZ and FL.
Quote Reply
Re: Inside-out sports bike shipment = six stars [Burt'sH2OBottle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Mr Bottle, glad to hear you giving respect where it is due. I always operate on the premise that if something is wrong I offer the provider the chance to correct it, if they do I am grateful and happy if they don't I will warn others.

I have (thus far) travelled with my bike on the same flight, the only problem I had was the bike box being trashed by the luggage handlers at Frankfurt. I do not like the idea of the service where you wheel the bike to the truck and it is put on a rack with others driven and wheeled off at the other end. I look after my bike, clean and inspect it regularly and would not expect others to look after it with the same consideration.

Well done, Inside Out.

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't use them last year for IMF, but wished that I had. I packed it myself and shipped it to the hotel, but because I wasn't going to be around to ship it back, I packed it again and gave it to inside out sports. The total cost for everthing was probably around $140 for all the shipping and services. If I used their TOTAL package service I probably would have paid around $220 which is more but would have had such an easier time down there since they would have built and taken apart my bike. And after what you just said, they seem like a top notch crew.

berndog
How did we all get sucked into this crazy sport anyway?!!
Quote Reply
Re: Inside-out sports bike shipment = six stars [jk_allen13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>> I do not like the idea of the service where you wheel the bike to the truck and it is put on a rack with others driven and wheeled off at the other end. I look after my bike, clean and inspect it regularly and would not expect others to look after it with the same consideration. <<

And why do you think your bike would not be looked after "with the same consideration"? I know a number of people who have used this service and they have all been very happy with it. I'm hoping they figure out something for Kona because I'll send my bike with them.

http://www.tribiketransport.com/

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Inside-out sports bike shipment = six stars [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you think anyone else would take the same amount of care over your bike as you would? Kind of like looking after someone else's child as opposed to doting over your own, comprende?

I'm sure they are very good but the idea of my bike travelling with dozens of other bikes uncovered would cause me some concern.

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hats off to Inside Out, great support at Disney. I was waiting in line to have new tubbies glued on and was watching them helping everyone with a smile, what a great effort and great people, that tall blond was a hottie as well :)))))))))))

I have horrible back problems but I have zero problems staying in an aero position for 180k. Why? Because I ride steep and because I train regularly in that position. Simple as that.....Gerard
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amen on Inside Out Sports. Les, one of the mechanics, is AWESOME! I'm pretty bike ignorant, and, God love him, he always teaches me at least one basic thing. I've used them for three Ironmans and they are SO friendly. It is expensive, but so are other bike shipping outlets and they don't offer the GREAT customer service and wonderful attitudes. Big fan of Inside Out Sports.
Quote Reply
Re: Inside-out sports bike shipment = six stars [Hook'em] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a chance you take ($100 roundtrip). Could have easily been $160. My total was $200 for the service and $20 for me to initially ship. That was the entire package - shipping, insurance, setup, tuning, breakdown, and ship back. Given the amount of hassle it removed it was well worth it. Given you're generally looking at $80 one way to fly your bike it's a good deal. Yes, you could take a chance and maybe get by with a $20 tip but then again it could cost you $80 then where are you at? I liked the service but might not be for everyone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well if you are saying you paid $220 overall vs. my potential $160, then I would go your route every time. I thought yours was $200 plus shipping both ways at about $40 to $50 each way for $280 to $300 total.

At $280 to $300 vs. $160, I start to think about the $120 to $140 savings. But at a $60 difference, it's less material.
Quote Reply