Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Indoor Cycle or Trainer??
Quote | Reply
Hey there... I ususally have problems to do all my cycling workouts during week days because of weather and work meetings. I am considering getting a nice equipment to train at home and I am impressed with the Pro 300PT Indoor Cycle by CycleOps. But I realize most have trainers at home to train in their own bikes... any thoughts??

Thanks, GUS
Quote Reply
Re: Indoor Cycle or Trainer?? [gutopersonal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have to ride an Indoor Cycle at the gym while I'm traveling. I just find I can't get quite the right position on them and also I don't care for those big fat saddles that are usually on them. At home I ride rollers with ressistance fans, this IMHO comes as close as it gets to actually riding outside.

Along those lines, is it preferrable when riding and indoor cycle to ride an upright one or a recimbant one? The gym has both.

Wilfried Heinle

Artificial Intelligence can never beat natural stupidity.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spin bike. Beats both for comfort and convenience. Rock steady, lots of adjustability, no fuss/no muss. The Q factor is 'normal' as well. I only use my road bike on the trainer if I'm training by power (i.e., for specific intervals). Any ordinary HR-style training and I'm on the spin bike for sure.

I have yet to see/ride a decent stationary bike like a Lifecycle, etc. All are just absolute crap made for the chubby masses with no feel for a real bike.

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have both. I ride the indoor cycle when I just want to do a 30min - 1hr ride. It's advantages are that it is very quiet and indestructable, but it is not quite the same position as my real bike. The other advantage is my wife likes to use it, which is why I have it in the first place. If I had to have only one, I would keep the trainer. The only problem with the trainer is it gets a ton of sweat all over my bike and can wear the rear tire quickly. And I guess the pain of having to get it out and put your bike in it.
Quote Reply
Re: Indoor Cycle or Trainer?? [WHeinle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Heinle... I´m not talking about regular indoor cycles you´ll find in gyms, check this Pro300PT online at www.cycleops.com and you will see what I am talking about. Seems to be true "fit and feel or your real bike". I sure need to ride it before buying it... GUS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a schwin 910 indoor cycle. Similar to the lifecycles at most gyms.

Negatives -

Already mentioned, getting the fit is a big compromise, very slack compared to my S25

Impossible to stand and pedal

No respectable rider would have one

Positives -

Pre-set workouts, three different interval routines plus a host of fit tests, and rolling routines

Ability to measure watts, cadence, time, HR, and speed

Seast is no problem, we swapped it out when we purchased it

Quiet

No buring rubber smell or debri

Bike is still ready to go on a ride at any time

Hop on and go, no set up time
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow! That looks really neat. Nothing at all like a spin or regular indoor cycle. Huge difference in cost, though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, that's quite the equipment. Sure looks like you could get it to fit right.

To me that's just a hughe chunk o' money.

Wilfried Heinle

Artificial Intelligence can never beat natural stupidity.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you're going to spend that much, why not just get a computrainer? nothing beats it for feel of the road, real time feedback on watts and pedal efficiency plus you can ride an ironman course or make your own for intervals, etc...

i use mine year round.
Quote Reply
Re: Indoor Cycle or Trainer?? [Herschel34] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes... Computrainer, I always read about it in Triathlete magazine. Does it look like Spinervals at all? I think the negatives (noise, excessive sweat, indoor space) are still there. I´m just in love with this CycleOps model... even though it costs as much as a new bike. Convenience... it´s all about that. GUS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sounds like your mind is already made up.

by the way, the ct isn't noisy at all, the sweat you can simply wipe off when you're done and it doesn't take up anymore space than your bike does right now (assuming you keep it inside). if anything you're adding more clutter if you get this other "bike".
Quote Reply