Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Improving bike splits
Quote | Reply
I have been racing for a few years and am taking some time off from racing this year. Upon examination of last years races I found that as a % I am slowest on the bike relative to people in my age group. I would like to improve on this and have some time this year(within reason) to work on this. I currently ride a max of about 7hrs/wk with the majority of this being L2 intensity with some big gear work. When I return to racing I plan on doing mostly 1/2-full IM length races. My big question is what percentage of time should I spend on pure endurance riding vs higher intensity riding and what is the most effective way to improve my bike split. Endurance has not been a real problem I am comfortable doing 5 hr ride L-2 with min fatique. I do only ride 2 days per wk. 1 long ride(4hr +) 1 shorter ride<2hrs with some big gear work. Would love some feedback on what has worked for other people and what an experienced coach would suggest. Thanks for the help.
Quote Reply
Re: Improving bike splits [slowrob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I have been racing for a few years and am taking some time off from racing this year. Upon examination of last years races I found that as a % I am slowest on the bike relative to people in my age group. I would like to improve on this and have some time this year(within reason) to work on this. I currently ride a max of about 7hrs/wk with the majority of this being L2 intensity with some big gear work. When I return to racing I plan on doing mostly 1/2-full IM length races. My big question is what percentage of time should I spend on pure endurance riding vs higher intensity riding and what is the most effective way to improve my bike split. Endurance has not been a real problem I am comfortable doing 5 hr ride L-2 with min fatique. I do only ride 2 days per wk. 1 long ride(4hr +) 1 shorter ride<2hrs with some big gear work. Would love some feedback on what has worked for other people and what an experienced coach would suggest. Thanks for the help.
L2 rides prepare you to ride at L2 intensity (read: not much). Big gear work trains you to ride big gears (presumably at a lower cadence). If those are what you want to do, you're going at it the right way. If you want to go faster, you need to train faster (like regular L4 workouts, occasional L5 intervals and lots of L3 ("tempo") rides).

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would suggest riding more days a week than just two. Keep your long ride and add two rides of about an hour or two each. It's really amazing how much a few extra rides a week will help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
More frequency. More time spent in Z3. Spend time in Z4 and some time in Z5. Aerobic adaptations take place even as you get into higher effort levels.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Improving bike splits [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is a good ratio on how to spend my time. I was under the impression that spending to much time at high intensity would not benefit me when I am riding at lower intensity in long course racing. I can possibly ride up to 4 days/wk
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree with all others. Bottom line - ride more( more rides/week) and increase the range of intensities that you ride at. Don't over think it - just get out and ride as much as you can for a few months.

Do you ride with a group? Riding with a group regularly, that's slightly better than you will really help. If it's an understanding group, they will let you sit it for longer and take your pulls and help out with the pace when and where you can. If they just drop you, then you know that's not the group for you. Likewise, if the pace is so slow that is not challenging at all, then that is not the group for you either.

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply