Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Important Info to Prevent Injuries
Quote | Reply
Hi Everyone,

First, "Thank You" to all of the people who recommend athletes to come to our forum at http://www.julstro.com. It's great getting to know so many of you, and to get your responses as you heal yourselves of injuries.

Second, I've just finished making arrangements to be at Ironman Kona, and I'll be teaching a two-day Julstro Self-Treatment Clinic in Hilo the week before the race. If you know any athletes who are planning on going to Kona, please let them know so they can contact me for details.

I've had a few people asking me about preventing injuries as they start to increase their exercise level in preparation for the Spring.

As you are preparing for the upcoming racing season, it's vital to understand how to prevent the spasms that create the injuries that stop you. Today I posted the following message on our forum, and I wanted to share it with everyone:

While it's important to increase the strength in all of your muscles, it is equally important (and often ignored) to stretch ALL the muscles that have just been worked.

When you do the strength exercises you contract/shorten the fibers, and unless you then release the spasms and lengthen the fibers you are heading for future problems. The part that many athletes don't understand is that when a muscle is shortened it loses some of it's pulling ability, and therefore it appears to lose strength. So, they do more strengthening exercises and shorten the fibers even more.

If you treat each spasm and flush out the lactic acid (naturally occurring when you exercise), and then stretch the muscle fibers to their longest length, you will benefit from all of your strengthening exercises.

Consider this analogy. If you were trying to pull a heavy object toward you, you would put your arms straight out and then pull. If your arms couldn't extend all the way out but were bent at the elbow, you wouldn't be as strong in the movement. But it's not because you aren't strong enough, it's only because you didn't have access to the full pulling power of the muscles.

It's the same thing throughout your body, you absolutely must stretch your muscles (NOT overstretch!) so they have the strength they are capable of attaining.

As everyone starts to up their training for the Spring, remember to take care of your muscles. If you have any questions, feel free to go to our forum and just post them, I'll answer as quickly as possible.

Wishing you well,
Julie

Don't let pain cause a DNF! YOU are your own Best Therapist! Visit http://www.FlexibleAthlete.com and http://www.Julstro.com to learn logical solutions to repetitive strain injuries and how to stretch safely.
Quote Reply
Re: Important Info to Prevent Injuries [JulieDonnelly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you Julie for the info. I am a big believer in your techniques. I have spent the last year in pain nearly every day, and your techniques have helped to significantly improve my quality of life. This was after lots of money and time spent in physical therapy. I just wish I could get someone to perform the massages on me. Just this week I have discovered some very sore areas in my calf muscles from discussions with you on your forum, however, it seems like a difficult area to massage thoroughly (I like the ITB treatments as I just get to lay there). I think I will start taking some time away from my physical activity and schedule in time for your treatments.

I recommend people to your forum everytime they talk about an injury. Thanks so much,

Jack

---------------------------------------------------------

"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind and body can achieve; and those who stay will be champions."
Quote Reply
Re: Important Info to Prevent Injuries [jjmc27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Jack,

How nice to read that I've been able to help you. It's very rewarding to me to know that someone I've never met is better because of my work. And, thank you for telling others about our website.

Did you order "The Pain-Free Runner"? If so, there are a lot of methods for working the calf muscles. One thing you can do is to cross your legs so your hurting leg is on top, with your ankle on top of your opposite knee (like the way guys cross their legs). Then take your thumbs and begin to knead your calf from just behind the knee and go down toward the AT.

Squeeze your calf, use your knuckles, do everything to push the lactic acid out of the fibers and lengthen the fibers. Don't stretch until you have done the best you can to work out the spasms.

If you use some analgesic gel with capsaisin (such as Tiger Balm or Sombra) you will get even better results.

I'm in New York (just north of NYC), in case you are from this area. Or, if you are in Vermont, I have a therapist there who used to work with me and is excellent.

Hope this helps your legs.

Wishing you well,

Julie

Don't let pain cause a DNF! YOU are your own Best Therapist! Visit http://www.FlexibleAthlete.com and http://www.Julstro.com to learn logical solutions to repetitive strain injuries and how to stretch safely.
Quote Reply