Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

If you were king, but had no kingdom
Quote | Reply
Reading this forum make me envy you immensely. Most of you live in countries where there are many triathlons and triathletes, or so it seems. But what would you do if you did not? For instance Norway. Or rather what would you do if you were in charge of the national triathlon organization in Norway and wanted to do something about the sorry state of the sport?

The population of 4.5 million is living in a rather big country, that is sparsely populated with a concentration in the southern part. You are head of the national triathlon organization, and you have a budget of, let us say, 75000$.

Triathlon is a microscopic sport and there is an almost non-existing elite (in international terms). The few you had has retired. There are no big triathlon clubs, and most triathletes is organized as groups within cycling clubs, swimming clubs.... Shall we say that the number of triathletes is 50? And in adition there is a small number of "triathlon interested" in their prime (35 years and older).

The sport does not appeal to the masses and the result (or is it the cause?) is that the race schedule for this year is two olympic distance triathlons in August. At the largest of these (in Oslo) aprox 80 will start at olympic distance, the same number at the shorter distances.

You could say that the weather conditions and water temperature in Norway is not very favorable for triathlon, and you would be right. But if you look toward Sweden and Denmark you would find that triathlon is a much bigger sport.

So what would you do to give the sport a better foundation in this country? It would be interesting to see how you think, compared to my own thoughts and what is done.

Bent Olav Olsen, recreational triathlete?
Quote Reply
Re: If you were king, but had no kingdom [tribent] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very interesting post - the difficult thing about tri in Norway would have to be the shortened training season for parts of the country (north) and the very high importance placed on ski ability. In the US (I'm from Minnesota which is probably second to Norway in terms of Norwegian population) x-country ski is used as a cross training event and "few" people race. There are still huge races, but there really aren't that many accross the nation. It would be the reverse in Norway - triathlon and the training to go with it would almost have to be cross training for the ski season. Folks would work on their aerobic capacity through the swim-bike-run, but focus on skiing the rest of the year. Of course with the ski-blades available now (not really sure what they are called, but the short ski's with rollers on the bottom?) you can ski train all year round without doing any other sport. That doesn't solve your problem, but perhaps you should try to market it to some skiers and see what they think - push it as a training alternative and get people hooked that way?

On another note - how would I find information on your triathlons? I love Norway and am looking for a good excuse to go back. Perhaps not this year, but maybe next so if the races will happen in roughly the same time period I could maybe plan my trip and also get a race in! (I love it when things work out like that!)

Best of luck with the organizing and coordinating efforts.

Peace,

Josh
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would agree with the other poster. Promote it as a cross training event. I am sure that there are a lot of skiers that ski because that is the 'cool' thing to do - who would get hooked on triathlon given the chance. You could have a lot of superstars waiting in the wings because of the incredible aerobic engines of a lot of cross country skiers.

You might also want to try and do an international race (a good sponsorship drive should pay a lot of the bills) that will attract media and bring in tourism - and that would raise the profile of the sport in general.

Good Luck

"which is like watching one of your buddies announce that he's quitting booze and cigarettes, switching to a Vegan diet and training for triathalons ... but he's going to keep snorting heroin." Bill Simmons, ESPN
Quote Reply
Re: If you were king, but had no kingdom [Yarf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you want the race schedule for Norway go to the web-site for the national triathlon federation . The only regular triathlon is Oslo Triathlon, every year in the first half of August. But you probably would do better if you go to Sweden for the triathlon and then visit Norway.

I think the federation had hopes for recruiting skiiers, and put more emphasis on winter-triathlon and duathlon in their strategy. I don't think that has resulted in many new triathletes (as in: swim-bike-run :-) ), but skiiers like Anders Aukland find time in their of-season to beat the triathletes every year in winter-triathlon and duathlon. The "problem" is that good skiiers in Norway is part of the "number 1 (or is it 2?)sport", with all its benefits. But that strategy could work in the long run of course.

International races, probably, my friends that test the Norseman long distance triathlon in july, think along those lines. Come to think of it, an interesting thing is that there is some young skiiers that are triathlon newbies in that "race". So maybe the skiiers would come to triathlon if we do it extreme enough and stop messing with those short distances?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd be interested to hear Dan's thoughts on this.

I kind of agree with the other posters. I'd focus on promoting multisport in general rather than just triathlon. It seems to me that you could hold duathlons much more often as you wouldn't have to worry about water temperatures. You could also do the winter tris. I'd guess those would end up being pretty popular. Wouldn't it be nice if you had multisport events throughout the year or at least for a large part of it, rather than a couple tris in August when it's warm enough?

I'd also look to focus on promoting the tri "scene" in two or three promising towns. Get the beginnings of clubs together. Hold occasional events (not necessarily tri specific) like a talk given by a big name pro cyclist that is sponsored by your organization. If the three towns you focus on are close enough to each other, how about a summer series where each town holds one race? Three months, three races, three towns. That sort of thing...
Quote Reply
Re: If you were king, but had no kingdom [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I'd also look to focus on promoting the tri "scene" in two or three promising towns. Get the beginnings of clubs together. .[.....] If the three towns you focus on are close enough to each other, how about a summer series where each town holds one race? Three months, three races, three towns. That sort of thing...

I completely agree with you on this one, and some of this is done already. The triathlon federation has a multisport cup that includes (winter-tri, duathlon and triathlon).

For a period of three or four years I think I would alternate between two cities in arranging national championships, help them financially and dictate race dates so that it don't happen again that there is only seven days between the only two triathlons in the season. In choosing the cites for the races I think one should have in mind "what is the international potential for this competition".

In addition to this, get the clubs in the southern part of Norway to arrange a series of simple triathlon and duathlon competition: very small fee (if anything), no medals, no officials - keep it simple.

One thing, I don't know but it seems that I have given the impression that I am somewhat connected to the federation. I'm not, there are probably other norwegians reading this forum and I think you could hear their hysterical laughter at the thought all the way over the ocean. I'm just a triathlon interested 38 year old "boy", I never find time to exercise, but I show up at race day (triathlon, marathon, half mara) and finish last.

But I kind of like organizing, so I have been responsible for one triathlon, and the national championship in duathlon in 2002, organized the triathlon group in a cycle club and now I have started the club Oslofjord triatlon together with some friends, a club mainly for grown-ups and not for the "elite".

Yours

Bent Olav Olsen

Last edited by: tribent: Jul 3, 03 6:25
Quote Reply
keep going [tribent] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
keep up the good work in norway, it would be greate fun (in the future) to have a big scandinavian cup. good luck with the oslo triathlon , if you arrange it next year I will probably bee there.

// rogo www.vss.se/triathlon (only in swedish)
Quote Reply
Best triathlons in Sweden and Denmark? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you can count on the Oslo triathlon, I don't think the organizers of that race will give up or give away the "first weekend of August"-date. A scandinavian cup would be great, if it includes age-groups up to 65+. By the way: Which triathlons would you recommend in Sweden and Denmark: Göteborg, Kalmar, Fredricia ....?

Quote Reply
Re: Best triathlons in Sweden and Denmark? [tribent] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have never race in denmark but I can tell you what I think of the race in sweden. kalmar (im distance) , göteborg (olympic distance) & säter (etu long distance) are very nice , those races have been around for years and I like them all. good service & people who know how to arrange a race. There are more good raceres around to but if I have to do a top 3 I would say säter,kalmar,göteborg.....but this is only my thought.

http://www.svensktriathlon.org/ (swedish only , sök på tävlingar under kalender)

// rogo.............
Quote Reply
Re: Best triathlons in Sweden and Denmark? [rogo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. And all have sprints the same day or the day before, and both säter and Göteborg have childrens race. Good to know when we start planning our clubs first season.

Quote Reply
Re: Best triathlons in Sweden and Denmark? [tribent] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
your welcome ! if you have any questions or thought please contact me and I will try to help you.

have a nice summer

// rogo , "your neighbour in the east" , r.gouffrich@spray.se
Quote Reply
I think you need to find a Fin [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Finland, very far north, cold a considerable part of the year but consistently produces athletes that finish at the front end every where, Roth, HA, the US, why I dont know, they are pretty good XC skiers but also triathletes.

Mind you who's ever have thought that a company that far north and, lets say, out of the way would be home to companies that dominate markets in cell phones, HR monitors and hazardous waste and refuse....

A very determined people I think........
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had some fun reading through this thread again. I am interested in hearing if anyone else has ideas on this.

What has changed in one and a half year? The HP norseman xtreme triathlon will be the largest race in Norway next year with 200 at the starting line. Maybe a pro or two from the developed world will be among those.

The club we started last summer is now Norways bigest tri club. But that does not say much - 80 members. All are age groupers or recreational triathletes.

In adition to being involved in the NXTRI we arrange a very simple series of open training races, one "escape from...."-type of race, one open training half Irondistance and one open training Irondistance.

Everything else is more or less the same, but there are signs of more interest in the sport. Probably due to the nxtri.

Any thoughts?

Quote Reply