Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
If you had to buy a pair of race wheels - what brand?
Quote | Reply

Last edited by: Slowman: Jan 25, 07 8:08
Quote Reply
Re: If you had to buy a pair of race wheels - what brand and what type? but you can only buy one pair. so it has to be useful for all conditions... [YFLMITITW] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zipp 999, or at least a disc. There is only two times you wouldn't use them, on a technical course, or kona.

Grant

Grant
----------------------------------------------------
Proudly sponsored by Desoto Sports
Please Support CAF every little bit helps http://raceforareason.kintera.org/grantreuter
Quote Reply
Re: If you had to buy a pair of race wheels - what brand? [YFLMITITW] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been also looking at the same question, in doing a search in ST about the subject it appears that Zipp 606 or HED Stinger 90/60 are very good for a combo of aerodynamics and not overly affected by crosswinds....Disclaimer: I don't own either yet but its coming down to these two sets, Im deciding on the price (Zipp $2000, HED 1400)...Im not an expert , this is just I;ve found on ST Searches......good place to start....

Michael in Kansas
"Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit"
"Its not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up" Lombardi
Last edited by: Slowman: Jan 25, 07 8:07
Quote Reply
Re: If you had to buy a pair of race wheels - what brand and what type? but you can only buy one pair. so it has to be useful for all conditions... [YFLMITITW] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HED3 -
  • best TT front
  • rear can be used in Kona
  • can pack them in your bike case to travel without worrying that the packing (or the FAA) will dent the carbon disc
  • Do not have to use valve extenders (but do have to use a crack pipe)
  • seem a lot tougher than others, so riding around pre & post race (at an away event) is less worrisome

Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would say the HED Stingers 60/90. At least you can true them if they go out of round. If for some reason you damage the HED3's you are SOL.

No crack pipe to carry around, are almost as aero as the HED3's and a rear disc. They are pretty close if you look at all the data.

If you go with a disk cover on a box rim, you are stuck with a crappy box rim if you do not use the cover.

Hed is by far the best bang for the buck.

Plus if you are using them for all your riding, you will not look like a big dork riding around with a disc or HED3's
Last edited by: Bman: Jan 25, 07 7:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in that position right now..just shifted from 650 to 700, so new race wheels are needed. I've settled on a HED3c for the rear but was undecided on the front. I now think that a HED Stinger60 will be the one for me (any deals ot there?). At ~145lbs the HED3 front might be tough to handle in gusty winds. Anyone know of tunnel data that shows what wheels work best with various forks? I'm using the Easton EC90 Aero front fork.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After trying just about every HED wheel combo in training & over 32 races last year, I settled on H3C front & rear. For me, they have proven to be the fastest in the majority of conditions & bomb proof.

FWIW - I sell more H3C's than any other model

Paul "Speedy" Gonsalves
http://www.rollingthundercanada.com
RollingThunderCanada

Canadian distributor for HED Cycling, Blue Competition, Akona Biospeed & Aerus Composites

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just went through this myself. I got the Zipp 606 clinchers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I seem to be bucking the trend with my wheel choice, but when I got a new bike last year, transitioning from 650c(or cc for Slowman:)) to 700c I needed new race wheels. I got Reynolds Stratus DV's. I only raced on them once before getting sidelined with an injury, but I definately liked the way they felt. I'll probably pick up a disc wheel this year to complete the package. My previous race setup was a Falcon trialist disc on the back and a Hed Deep on the front. I never really had handling issues at 160-165#.

Ed

LLLEEEEEEEEEEEERRRROOOYYY JEEENNNNNKKKIIINNNNNS!!!
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: If you had to buy a pair of race wheels - what brand and what type? but you can only buy one pair. so it has to be useful for all conditions... [Martin C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for all the replies - interesting

so what is the difference between the aluminum rimmed vs. carbon rimmed H3's - aside from the fact that they are different materials?
Quote Reply
Re: If you had to buy a pair of race wheels - what brand and what type? but you can only buy one pair. so it has to be useful for all conditions... [Martin C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
606's and a wheel cover?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HED3c is lighter and only available in tubular.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very deep dish rear (Blackwell 100, Hed Stinger 90, Zipp 808) and the same front or a mid-V front (Blackwell 50, Hed Stinger 60, Zipp 404). I think that some of the more recent windtunnel data suggests that the deeper rimmed wheels are faster than a disc for something like 3 out of 5 wind angles.

I'm partial to the Blackwell wheels as I'm one of their athletes. But, last year my wheelset of choice was a Zipp 606 set. I felt faster on that set than the Zipp 909 combo.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just one set to do it all? Aero - yet able to deal with any winds. Light - yet strong. Easy to work with. Here's what I get and why.

Hed Jet 50 clincher with alum breaking surface - they've got bladed spokes and are light weight, will run the same break pads & flat repair material (and skills) as your training wheel.

Hed 3 rear clincher with alum breaking surface - aero but won't get pushed around like a disk, strong - will run same break pads and flat fix as all other.

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
XENTIS CLINCHER
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
and another thing: clincher. All my race wheels are tubular while my training wheels are clincher. That is a pain and increases the junk. There seems to be almost no difference between the two these days, other than the increased risk of a bad glue job on the tubulars, which slows you down. Doing it over, I would definitely go clincher for race wheels.
Quote Reply
Re: If you had to buy a pair of race wheels - what brand and what type? but you can only buy one pair. so it has to be useful for all conditions... [paulthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Xentis - Mark 1 Clincher High Modulus.

The nicest pair of wheels I've ever seen. Tubular though of course ;-)

http://www.planet-x-bikes.com/triathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have Hed Alps with a wheelcover and that pretty much covers any tri or TT situation I'll ever encounter. I always leave the wheelcover on but if I was doing a super windy or super hilly ride I could pop it off in about 5 minutes and would still have a pretty deep rear wheel.

Regardless of the wheel set if you are on a budget and want the ultimate in flexibility you can hardly beat dropping $60 on a CH Aero cover.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My race wheels are a Zipp disc and an 808 in the front, both tubular. I can't speak to all the data, but I have used the disc in every race for the last three years and never had a handling problem. I come from a roadie background so handling has never been a huge concern issue for me. I plan to run this set up at Eagleman this year unless it's sustained over 25 then I'll likely go with my 404s. If I didn't have 404s, I would run the race wheels and deal with it. At the end of the day, perhaps they are not the absolute optimum choice if you have only one set, but I love them, and they make me feel faster, and for a front of the MOPer like me, that's as important as anything!!

I proudly DO NOT post my workouts on Facebook!!!
Quote Reply
Re: If you had to buy a pair of race wheels - what brand? [YFLMITITW] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hed Jet 90 rear with PT
Hed 3 front

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: If you had to buy a pair of race wheels - what brand and what type? but you can only buy one pair. so it has to be useful for all conditions... [reggiedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Reggie Dog! Have not been around in a while, therefore have not been seen.

I agree with you that it is a pain in the ass to have all of these different wheels sets. That is the reason why I answered the question the way I did, XENTIS CLINCHER. It is a fast wheel set that can also be used in training while it is nearly indestructable.

By racing with a Conti SuperSonic, you can almost get the same performance as a tubular. You will always have a little more rotational weight with the alluminum brake surface.

RD-
Good to see you within this thread!!!
Quote Reply
Re: If you had to buy a pair of race wheels - what brand and what type? but you can only buy one pair. so it has to be useful for all conditions... [reggiedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I'm also looking for new wheels. I'm pretty much set on zipp's 606 but haven't decided yet between clincher and tubular. Weight difference between the 2 sets is about 400 grams. I'm MOP , 6'1 and 160 lbs. Will the extra 400 grams be noticeable if I buy clinchers? This is in preparation for IMLP this summer. FYI, I have not experience with tubular.

Tough times don't last, tough people do ;-)
Francois.
Quote Reply
Re: If you had to buy a pair of race wheels - what brand? [rockchalk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I don't own either yet but its coming down to these two sets (Disclaimer: I don't own either yet but its coming down to these two sets, Im deciding on the price (Zipp 606 or HED Stinger 90/60)"
- - Disc, disc, disc. Unless you have sustained winds of over 25 mph and gusts, the disc is faster and better handling. If you're a tiny guy (145 or less) then maybe 20 mph winds. The handling quandary is a function of the difference between rim surface area between front and rear. A 90 front with a 60 (or less) rear would be a disaster. A disc with anything less than a five spoke Mavic I/O or a disc on the front should be no problem. (Somewhere there is a good article by John Cobb on why this is so.)
I used to run a Hed Deep (predecessor to the Jet 90) with a Hed Cx (predecessor to the Jet 60) Now I run a disc with the Cx and I've run this combination in some pretty nasty wind gusts with zero problems. Sure you'll need to buy a rear 808 or Jet 90 for Kona, but if I manage to qualify for that one I'll be more concerned about the costs of travel, bike shipping and lodging than the cost of a rear wheel. And I still have the Deep wheel if I need it.
Tell you what, buy a disc and if you qualify for Kona and I don't, I'll lend you my Hed Deep for the month!

Cousin Elwood - Team Over-the-hill Racing
Brought to you by the good folks at Metamucil and Geritol...
Quote Reply

Prev Next