*Good biking routes
*Good running routes
*ability to swim somewhere

simple right? :P

Whats your top place in the county?
Quote Reply
Re: If you could train anywhere.... [teege] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I could train anywhere, it'd pretty much be everywhere. Diversity keeps things interesting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Boulder Colorado -

Killer hills

Beautiful scenery

It's not 115 in the shade during the summer

finally -

Hot granola chicks!

It's a dry heat!
Quote Reply
Re: If you could train anywhere.... [Sojourner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Boulder, Colorado- it is called "The Mecca" for a reason
Quote Reply
Re: If you could train anywhere.... [mohole15] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would choose Boulder as well, obviously, but for the last 3 weeks it has been 115 in the shade!

Geoffrey Nenninger
Quote Reply
Re: If you could train anywhere.... [GDNenn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sure it's 115 but the sweat evaporates right off ya.
my wife is from colorado and wants to go back . I might have to go along with that idea one of these years.

"the trouble with normal is - it always gets worse"

- Cockburn
Quote Reply
Re: If you could train anywhere.... [GDNenn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what's it like training there over the winter? perhaps tucson wins overall - too hot midday for a few months in summer but perfect 10 months of year?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Austin, Ft. Collins or Bend

Quote | Reply
probably right here, and get an altitude tent
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm with Gary on this one-San Diego...forget those cold ass winters. Call me a wimp I don't care, humans aren't meant to live in such cold climates (doesn't meant we don't acclimate in one way or another).

Unfortunately San Diego is no longer taking applications for new members, Sorry but Boulder will have to do ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: If you could train anywhere.... [The Lemming] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
boulder or colorado springs would be choice #2
Quote Reply
Re: If you could train anywhere.... [Gary Tingley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How PC of you ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: If you could train anywhere.... [The Lemming] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
seriously, I was checking out houses in Colorado Springs, can get a 3br house for the same price a as 1br condo here

sad
Quote Reply
Re: If you could train anywhere.... [Gary Tingley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I understand what you are saying but it's where you put your priorities I suppose. Big or bigger house or living in vacation-land.

I have always thought to myself that what the hell do I need a big house for in San Diego when one (I) should be outside enjoying what the area has to offer. If you look at how much time you spend in your home and with that all the rooms that you have, one could certainly see that a lot goes to waste. This is just my opinion for me though as I know where my priorities are. Doesn't make any better or worse than anyone elses. ;-)

FYI-I'm outside on the deck with the ocean breeze at my back. I'm happy!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Boulder is too cold in the winter. Tucson is too hot in the summer. San Diego is too freakin expensive. Southern New Mexico is the best, seriously.
Quote Reply
Re: If you could train anywhere.... [konabro2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Indeed brother!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
San Diego is almost perfect, great training, you can swim in the ocean, and lots of races......too bad its so damn expensive

Colorado Springs is awesome, lived there for 2 years. Awesome biking, tons of trails, no outside swimming. Back then, you would bike the Airforce Academy all winter, they plowed it the day it snowed. The town is growing too fast for the infustructure. Last time I visited, traffic was getting bad, and all the vast open space is getting gobbled up

Boulder is definetly mecca. Gorgeous land, gorgeous biking, and goregous FIT women. Back in the day I though Boulder was too expensive....then I moved to SD.

Santa Fe New Mexico is a hidden treasure. Drove through many many times, and did some hiking there with friends....WOW, that's about all I can say. Not alot of jobs there last time I checked though.

So right now I would say San Diego is where I would train, cause I am there and willing to pay the price for it. #2 would be Colorado Springs, #3 Santa Fe. But throw out cost of living competely, and the need for a job of any sort, and stick me on the big island of Hawaii.

-bcreager
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This thread is definitely missing something here.... AUSTIN!!!! You want great cycling routes? How about the fact that I live 1.5 miles from the central business district and if I want to ride out into the nothing-ness of the hill country that i will have to encounter a grand total of 2 or 3 traffic lights and no stops signs... oh and the swimming... great masters programs all over most of which seem to be geared toward multi-sport as well as barton springs pool... you want running... 10 miles of gravel trail surrounding town lake as well as the lightly traveled but very hilly "scenic loop" and then there is the green belt to run on.... and if you want to bitch about the heat think of it this way.... we acclimate real well for KONA here... not only that but the heat makes us stronger and when we go to some race that gets into the high 70's or low 80's and people are calling it hot.... we just laugh and enjoy the cool race day.... going to Vineman was an even bigger blast last year.... train in this heat and then race at 55-63 degrees all day.... Shweet.... i was in paradise....

SO YEAH, LET'S HEAR IT FOR AUSTIN!!!!

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Re: If you could train anywhere.... [aus_tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's the longest climb near Austin?

I think I'm in a pretty good spot in the San Bernardino Mountains. I look down at the smog blanket and am glad to not be breathing it. That's got to be one major strike against San Diego.

Ultimately, if you could train anywhere, you'd be best off with a few seasonal locations. I think Eldoret has year round potential for running and mountain biking. Boulder sounds good for about half of the year. Southern California mountain ranges have rideable roads year round. Cities located in the Sierra Nevadas have excellent seasonal climbs, but many of the best climbs don't have the roads swept when it snows. How about New Zealand? Never been there.
Quote Reply
Re: If you could train anywhere.... [aus_tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're all missing it... Cincinnati.

One word... Kittycat!

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
5-7 kilometers and 220-250m in elevation... going off some polar data... not huge by other regions standards but when most TRI races dont dictate Loooooooong sustained climbing ability the short steep repetative hills that spot the hill country (always going up and down and up and down) are enough

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do I have to work?

Nov-mid-March: New Zealand

mid-March-June: NorCal--wine country or east bay (to train with my boys
Hinds57 and JohnA)

July: France

August-October: NorCal (with 10 days to a couple of weeks in Kona)

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply