Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
If you could move anywhere in the world to train...
Quote | Reply
Where would you move?

I currently live in chicago but the wife decided that we won’t go thru another winter. Hard to beat my training conditions (I walk to the pool and the computrainer studio and bike to the track). So I’m looking for a place where training is as good as what I have in terms of logistics right now.

Wife can work remotely and I’m taking some time off work right now but will have to work again eventually (could think of going remote too).

Thinking of places like Paso Robles / SLO but so much driving is not cool really!
Worst case scenario I can still do my own man cave for training with bike trainer + treadmill and live like a hamster.

Ideas appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: If you could move anywhere in the world to train... [tamiii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SLO is great, very nice town with plenty of training options in a tight town. Paso is pretty spread out and can be quite a bit warmer in the summer than SLO any given day, but plenty of riding. Having grown up in Goleta/Santa Barbara I have to recommend there. Great running, riding, and calm ocean swimming, can't beat the weather. There's even more than one 50m pool within a 20 minute drive of each other. From a training standpoint, anywhere on the central coast (SLO, atascadero, paso, arroyo grande, goleta/SB) is pretty solid, and if I could move back for that reason I would in a heartbeat.

Matt Leu, M.S. Kinesiology
San Pedro Fit Works, Los Angeles, CA
Endurance Athlete and Coach
Consistency/time=results
Quote Reply
Re: If you could move anywhere in the world to train... [tamiii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Come over to Thailand...
Quote Reply
Re: If you could move anywhere in the world to train... [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
Come over to Thailand...

This. Warm, cheap, and plenty of expats. Roads are decent too. I remember seeing Phuket has some cycling/tri scene when I was looking to move there.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Southern Spain. Unbelievable riding, incredible trails, mountains, flats, great weather, inexpensive. Has everything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Somewhere there is no pick up trucks, no trump supporters and beautifully paved roads.
Last edited by: terrtri: May 31, 19 8:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Valley of the Sun: Phoenix area.
Beautiful weather. Great roads. Flagstaff for the summers. Tuscon/Sedona/Scottsdale for the other 9 months. Lake Pleasant and Bartlett for OWS.

And lots of pickups and Trump supporters :-)
Last edited by: Pathlete: May 31, 19 9:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would go to northern Spain, probably to San Sebastián. The climate is temperate because of the Atlantic (average high in August is 78deg F, average low in January is 40deg F), the scenery is beautiful, the food is amazing.
You can do open water swimming in the bay, ride and run in the beautiful green hills and mountains around it. Basque country has a long cycling tradition (Orbea and BH are both headquartered there) so the locals are used to cyclists. Not too far to bigger cities (one hour to Bilbao (about a million people) and 4-5 hours to Madrid).

Last edited by: nilloc: May 31, 19 9:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anywhere in the world.....
Northern end of New South Wales is pretty amazing. Lots of small/medium towns and you could also do Gold Coast. Triathlon is big. It's not cold in the winter. But it does cool off. Pools all over. Great beaches. Roads to no where.

Wanaka, NZ. Amazing running. Really nice new pool. Two great lakes to OWS. You'd probably want to MTB/Cross ride more than road ride. But that's my opinion. Coming from Chicago, the roads will be EMPTY. Not nearly as cold as Chicago. But it's not super warm here.

Personally I don't know why more people don't come to Victoria, BC for training. No outdoor pools. But the indoor 50 meter pools are great. OWS in multiple lakes. You can ride year round. You'll need a fender for four months. Run trails/paths all over. Good roads. Never too hot, never too cold.

I've never been to Spain. But I hear that it's a prime location. I've had athletes base out of there and they love it. If you're comfortable with Spanish, that might be the top of your list.

If you wanted to stay in the States. St. George, UT, and somewhere in the mountains of NC seem like the best spots for good year round training. Everywhere else either has a real winter or a crazy hot summer.
Parts of SoCal are great. But they aren't my thing.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: If you could move anywhere in the world to train... [terrtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
terrtri wrote:
Somewhere there is no pick up trucks, no trump supporters and beautifully paved roads.

Holy shit! I live in complete opposite place called TEXAS. LOL!!
A lot of trucks and SUVs, Trump supporters everywhere and damn chip seals.
Don't get me wrong. I do love Texas though.
Quote Reply
Re: If you could move anywhere in the world to train... [oprfcc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doesn't it rain like 150 days per year in Victoria, BC? That sounds awful for training.

I'd be going somewhere with lots of sunny days and a decent size city. SoCal, Raleigh, Denver would all be high on my list.

Internationally, just look at where pros train: Lanzarote, Adelaide, Tuscany, Nice, Southern Spain/Girona/Mallorca, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: If you could move anywhere in the world to train... [nilloc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup, I used to think southern Spain, or maybe around Lagos in Portugal, but San Sebastian is amazing and a more temperate.
Easy flights out of Bilbao if you need to get somewhere.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
swim in here in the morning - 137 meter pool

https://www.straight.com/...-33-million-overhaul

ride up one of these at lunch

https://cyclingmagazine.ca/...le-crown-in-one-day/

nice run in the afternoon

https://dailyhive.com/...to-run-in-vancouver/

not a cheap place to live but pretty amazing
Quote Reply
Re: If you could move anywhere in the world to train... [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep,welcome to my world.
Jurgen has his training group in Phuket which has a staggering success rate with his athletes.Thanyapura is also in Phuket which is both Jurgen and Macca's old training facility.They work with triathletes in a Club la Santa style but neither Jurgen or Macca are officially affiliated with them anymore.
Vinnie Santana (who posts here) has his training group through Iron Guides based in Bangkok and has great camps in Hua Hin.His camps are apparently awesome.
I am based in the same small village as the Thailand Triathlon Federation,who host a bunch of events each year with the Rayong ITU Asia Cup Sprint event being the first race on the ITU calendar each year.Thier focus is a developmental one and they host many of SE Asia's national teams for training camps and hold ITU coaching courses throughout the year.
The roads here in Mae Pim are very quiet and in great shape.There is a 25 meter pool plus the Gulf of Thailand across the road to swim in.Running is both road and beach with two gyms in town for T-mill and weights sessions.The only thing this region lacks is mountains.
It is super cheap and if you need to go to a major tourist area then it is a 90min car ride to Pattaya.
Quote Reply
Re: If you could move anywhere in the world to train... [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're thinking of Vancouver.
Victoria gets about half the rain as Vancouver. Similar temperatures.

Vancouver has some amazing riding for such a big city.
If you wanted a big city, in NA, that would be a good option too.
Quote Reply
Re: If you could move anywhere in the world to train... [USCoregonian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
USCoregonian wrote:
Southern Spain. Unbelievable riding, incredible trails, mountains, flats, great weather, inexpensive. Has everything.

A tri buddy moved from Kona to Marbella. He absolutely loves it and in off season rides with Tour guys. His photos and descriptions are amazing. I was there last summer and rode up into a white village in the mountains for a great cup of coffee. That looks like a great choice. In the US, while hot, it's hard to beat Clermont.
Quote Reply
Re: If you could move anywhere in the world to train... [oprfcc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Victoria (and much of the island) is for rich retirees. No one else can afford to live there.
Quote Reply
Re: If you could move anywhere in the world to train... [triracerboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triracerboy wrote:
swim in here in the morning - 137 meter pool

https://www.straight.com/...-33-million-overhaul

ride up one of these at lunch

https://cyclingmagazine.ca/...le-crown-in-one-day/

nice run in the afternoon

https://dailyhive.com/...to-run-in-vancouver/

not a cheap place to live but pretty amazing

Triple crown is for daisies. The REAL triple crown is when you ride to the end of the paved road and then RUN to the top of the mountain. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: If you could move anywhere in the world to train... [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
Yup, I used to think southern Spain, or maybe around Lagos in Portugal, but San Sebastian is amazing and a more temperate.

I just got back from 10 days in Luz which is close to Lagos, had never been before...it was the nicest riding I had ever done, the entire time there I was thinking it would be a perfect place to live and train, would highly recommend going!
Quote Reply
Re: If you could move anywhere in the world to train... [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This isn't a "sexy" location but I would go to northern Portugal, where my parents are from. We were there last summer and if you want to do lots of climbing, that's a place to do it. I could easily see myself just doing the same mountain segment over and over and get really good at long sustained efforts. For me, I was out the door and at the summit in an hour (the segment itself, depending on where you start, was about 40mins for me at the time).

https://www.strava.com/...19548?filter=overall
Quote Reply
Re: If you could move anywhere in the world to train... [alexmckenzie29] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alexmckenzie29 wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:

I just got back from 10 days in Luz which is close to Lagos, had never been before...it was the nicest riding I had ever done, the entire time there I was thinking it would be a perfect place to live and train, would highly recommend going!

On my list now!

I've been looking for a summer triathlon to do in Spain or Portugal and then vacation for a week or two.
Quote Reply
Re: If you could move anywhere in the world to train... [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ned. Higher in many ways than Boulder.

Be Uncommon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The New Jersey shore. Lot of great independent sprint and olympic races, IM AC 70.3, driving distance to lots of full distance and halfs. Several hardcore tri clubs (JSTC, Sandy Hookers, Team Zebra). Endless lakes, rivers and ocean for OWS. Great biking up and down the coast into national parks (as long as you get out early). Century rides west into Pennsylvania (covered bridge tour). Running the boardwalks from Spring Lake to Asbury Park, nothing can compare!
Last edited by: RallySavage: May 31, 19 16:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Islas Canarias in Spain, you can train all year around.

I would say that the northern part of spain, Cantabria and the Basque Country, the only drawback is the raining and low temperatures specially during winter time.
Quote Reply
Re: If you could move anywhere in the world to train... [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
Yep,welcome to my world.
Jurgen has his training group in Phuket which has a staggering success rate with his athletes.Thanyapura is also in Phuket which is both Jurgen and Macca's old training facility.They work with triathletes in a Club la Santa style but neither Jurgen or Macca are officially affiliated with them anymore.
Vinnie Santana (who posts here) has his training group through Iron Guides based in Bangkok and has great camps in Hua Hin.His camps are apparently awesome.
I am based in the same small village as the Thailand Triathlon Federation,who host a bunch of events each year with the Rayong ITU Asia Cup Sprint event being the first race on the ITU calendar each year.Thier focus is a developmental one and they host many of SE Asia's national teams for training camps and hold ITU coaching courses throughout the year.
The roads here in Mae Pim are very quiet and in great shape.There is a 25 meter pool plus the Gulf of Thailand across the road to swim in.Running is both road and beach with two gyms in town for T-mill and weights sessions.The only thing this region lacks is mountains.
It is super cheap and if you need to go to a major tourist area then it is a 90min car ride to Pattaya.

+1 for Thailand. I know Phuket well and would certainly recommend it. Train with Juergen and his crew, join Thanyapura (both pretty cheap) and you have best of both worlds - superb training plus, 50m pool, 500m track, great gym etc., if you need to train alone. Great to have the races in-country too - LPT of course, and although the 70.3 is no longer in Phuket, it's still in-country. Cheap living too, great beaches, food.

My race site: https://racesandplaces.wixsite.com/racesandplaces
Quote Reply

Prev Next