Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
If you could live anywhere in the US...
Quote | Reply
...where would you?
Cycling is my most dominant sport of the three, so I end up spending more time on the bike than swimming or running.
I would like for it to be warm, so I can be outside the majority of the year. I work in Information Technology and often fly internationally, so local economy and airport size do matter. My wife's family is from Midwest, so we would like to stay within the Continental United States. Do you guys have any ideas on what states and localities to visit/consider? Denver area is appealing but seems a bit cold. Nashville has awesome climate and airport (we had lived there in the past), but the economy is a bit of a concern. Tucson is also on the map. Any other ideas?
Quote Reply
Re: If you could live anywhere in the US... [manlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
#1. Denver.
#2. Austin.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
austin

Oh yeah!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Phoenix, AZ & the east part of Henderson NV,

#WeAreTheForge #BlackGunsMatter

"Look, will you guys at leats accept that you are a bunch of dumb asses and just trust me on this one? Please?" BarryP 7/30/2012
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
East Tennessee. Great cycling,trail runs all year round, and no alligators in the water. Oh, and very little humidity.

-TMT
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Honolulu - great climate, considered 'most livable US city' by Mercer (http://www.mercer.com/...f-living-report-2011), and apparently, every October there is a popular triathlon on a near by island.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is a link to cities that made the list for bike friendliness in the US:

http://en.wikipedia.org/..._American_Bicyclists

I moved to the DC area a few years ago and love the cycling scene here. The former mayor of DC is a big cyclist/multisport athlete and made some strides towards making the city bike friendly. Additionally, you have Haines Point and Beach Drive if you want to get in decent time trial efforts. You are also close to some of the other cities that made the list above like Arlington, VA, Frederick, MD, and Baltimore. The climate is such where you can ride outside all year, but it gets HUMID in the summer. Flights won't be a problem as you have three decent airports to choose from.

As an aside, I hear Denver doesn't get nearly as cold as people think.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Austin, TX.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a Chicagoan suffering through another 90s/100s day I renew my jealousness of my San Diego friends. I hate them.

If you can afford it why would you live anywhere else?

Swim - Bike - Run the rest is just clothing changes.
Quote Reply
Re: If you could live anywhere in the US... [Tri Slow Poke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't rule out NC. The Charlotte and Raleigh-Durham areas are very big into cycling and triathlon. It never receives the attention that Cali, AZ and CO do, but NC has the 3rd largest number of registered USAT athletes and is home to the largest race organization company, Set-Up events. You can't throw a rock and not hit a triathlon, cycling event or running event within 2 hours, almost every weekend between April and October.

It does not get that cold here but summers can be a bit warm. Nothing like Tucson, but 90+ degrees and high humidity can be a factor. That being said, it's usually only for a month or so and the same for any cold weather. In fact, it's usually just enough hot weather training time, that you can be assured to be ready for any race regardless of conditions.

The nice thing is the variety of terrain. I live around the Charlotte area and can be in some pretty serious mountains within an hour and very hard climbs within an hour and a half. I can also be down at the beach in 3 hours. Plenty of open water swim training with Lake Norman, Mountain Island Lake and Lake Wylie. There are a ton of Tris in the area which utilize open water. Which is nice since the pool swim races can be a bit of a pain. Charlotte also has the National Whitewater Outdoor Center with tons of training opportunities and some great mountain biking. Just south of the city is the Velodrome and another Outdoor Center. The area is home to Swim-MAC which is one of the nation's premier swim programs. It's where Cullen Jones and a few other Olympians from 2008 and 2012 train. Because of this, there are some very nice swim facilities in the area and finding a Masters swim is incredibly easy. Or you just show up to Huntersville's HFFA center or the Swim-MAC pool in South Charlotte and jump in with folks training for the Olympics, etc. Cycling teams and Tri teams are easy to come by and there is never a shortage of groups to ride, run and train with.

Raleigh-Durham area is similar. Although not as accessible to the mountains, it is more accessible to the beach. Plenty of open water there as well with Jordan Lake, Crabtree Lake, Falls Lake and Harris Lake. Set Up Events runs a number of races in that area as does FS Series. I am not as familiar with the swim groups in the Raleigh areas, but can say cycling and running are very big there. You can jump in with any of the college teams (Duke, UNC and NC State) to train or any of the local Tri teams. Because of those universities, there is a huge professional community there. Especially IT. Raleigh Durham has the largest IT business park outside of Silicon Valley. It's called Research Triangle Park(RTP) and is home to SAS, IBM, Cisco, Quintiles, Red Hat(at NC State) among many others.

Both areas have international airports, so travel is no issue. Both areas have plenty of bike and Tri shops as well. Inside Out Sports is headquartered around Raleigh and has locations in both cities. TrySports has a huge location in Charlotte and is home to their 14,000 sq ft concept store. On the north side of town you have Cool Breeze Trithlon shop. Both cities have plenty of other running store and bike shop options as well.

-------------------------------------------------------
Check out {re}vici Upscale Casual Triathlon Apparel
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I could live anywhere in the US...I would still live in Canada. ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
manlin wrote:
...where would you?
Cycling is my most dominant sport of the three, so I end up spending more time on the bike than swimming or running.
I would like for it to be warm, so I can be outside the majority of the year. I work in Information Technology and often fly internationally, so local economy and airport size do matter. My wife's family is from Midwest, so we would like to stay within the Continental United States. Do you guys have any ideas on what states and localities to visit/consider? Denver area is appealing but seems a bit cold. Nashville has awesome climate and airport (we had lived there in the past), but the economy is a bit of a concern. Tucson is also on the map. Any other ideas?

If these are your main criteria, Northern CA, specifically Silicon Valley is unbeatable for year-round riding. The other places mentioned are nice, and at times of the year, even nicer than Norcal, but Norcal is absolutely viable year-round 12 months per year riding, even in the depths of winter - it'll still be 50F during the day, with no snow, and all mountain roads open. The only places that have better year-round riding are San Diego/LA, but I the IT scene is way better in Norcal, and in my opinion, cycling is much more popular in Norcal (more clubs, more events) since there's not as many traffic and other distractions like the beach. (Beach swimming is scarce in Norcal - it's there but only a few places since the shore is rocky.)

It's also obviously the nation's hub for IT and has a great airport.

It's also not too far from the Midwest.

The only caveat (and it's a big one) - it costs an arm and a leg to live here. But in terms of the interests you mention, it's no comparison between here and the other towns mentioned for beautiful, true year-round riding.

I have lived in NY, Chicago, LA, San Diego, and now near San Francisco, for at least a year in each place, so I know what I'm talking about when comparing these towns. You honestly can't even mention any East coast, or south or desert west city as a comparison to the CA towns, as much as people love them - the lack of true year round outdoor access for triathlon in those places due to very hot summers or very cold or icy winters makes it a complete noncomparison. (If you like snow sports though, obviously places like CO and others go up on the list.)

I know lots of pros choose to live in Boulder, which is an absolutely great place, and probably has a higher concentration of pros/elites than CA, but it still snows there, so you'll be dealing with snow or indoor training for a significant chunk of the year. (Which is not as much of a problem if you've got access to the US Olympic training center there - not for mortals like myself.)
Last edited by: lightheir: Jul 17, 12 7:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
San Diego area. Pretty sure it's 72* all year.
Quote Reply
Re: If you could live anywhere in the US... [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You mean America Jr?! ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nashville has awesome climate

Nashville?

Where I live now it's warmer than Nashville in Jan, and a hell of a lot cooler in the summer... like 10 degrees cooler and much lower humidity. Plus it is ~7000 ft and has plenty of climbs and low traffic. Takes over 2 hrs to get to the airport though.

It's a little cooler up there, but the green side of the mountains east of Albuquerque would be a great spot... ~20 miles to the airport. Plenty of decent roads including an awesome long climb right there.

Cost of houses, land, living, important?
How often do you fly?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Denver, hands down.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: If you could live anywhere in the US... [{re}viciTim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
{re}viciTim wrote:
Don't rule out NC. The Charlotte and Raleigh-Durham areas are very big into cycling and triathlon. It never receives the attention that Cali, AZ and CO do, but NC has the 3rd largest number of registered USAT athletes and is home to the largest race organization company, Set-Up events. You can't throw a rock and not hit a triathlon, cycling event or running event within 2 hours, almost every weekend between April and October.

It does not get that cold here but summers can be a bit warm. Nothing like Tucson, but 90+ degrees and high humidity can be a factor. That being said, it's usually only for a month or so and the same for any cold weather. In fact, it's usually just enough hot weather training time, that you can be assured to be ready for any race regardless of conditions.

The nice thing is the variety of terrain. I live around the Charlotte area and can be in some pretty serious mountains within an hour and very hard climbs within an hour and a half. I can also be down at the beach in 3 hours. Plenty of open water swim training with Lake Norman, Mountain Island Lake and Lake Wylie. There are a ton of Tris in the area which utilize open water. Which is nice since the pool swim races can be a bit of a pain. Charlotte also has the National Whitewater Outdoor Center with tons of training opportunities and some great mountain biking. Just south of the city is the Velodrome and another Outdoor Center. The area is home to Swim-MAC which is one of the nation's premier swim programs. It's where Cullen Jones and a few other Olympians from 2008 and 2012 train. Because of this, there are some very nice swim facilities in the area and finding a Masters swim is incredibly easy. Or you just show up to Huntersville's HFFA center or the Swim-MAC pool in South Charlotte and jump in with folks training for the Olympics, etc. Cycling teams and Tri teams are easy to come by and there is never a shortage of groups to ride, run and train with.

Raleigh-Durham area is similar. Although not as accessible to the mountains, it is more accessible to the beach. Plenty of open water there as well with Jordan Lake, Crabtree Lake, Falls Lake and Harris Lake. Set Up Events runs a number of races in that area as does FS Series. I am not as familiar with the swim groups in the Raleigh areas, but can say cycling and running are very big there. You can jump in with any of the college teams (Duke, UNC and NC State) to train or any of the local Tri teams. Because of those universities, there is a huge professional community there. Especially IT. Raleigh Durham has the largest IT business park outside of Silicon Valley. It's called Research Triangle Park(RTP) and is home to SAS, IBM, Cisco, Quintiles, Red Hat(at NC State) among many others.

Both areas have international airports, so travel is no issue. Both areas have plenty of bike and Tri shops as well. Inside Out Sports is headquartered around Raleigh and has locations in both cities. TrySports has a huge location in Charlotte and is home to their 14,000 sq ft concept store. On the north side of town you have Cool Breeze Trithlon shop. Both cities have plenty of other running store and bike shop options as well.

I'll bump this. NC is fantastic riding.

Asheville and Brevard are great. Great roads, long mountain climbs, and the parkway is unparallel.

Inside The Big Ring: Podcast & Coaching

Quote Reply
Re: If you could live anywhere in the US... [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
Denver, hands down.

Nope , there's regular snow and the occasional snowstorm. And rain.

Don't get me wrong - I think Denver's an awesome city, but if we're choosing for the top YEAR-ROUND triathlon cities, it doesn't best Nor/Socal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Moab, Utah!

-

B.Oliver -My Blog...triguywithavx.wordpress.com