Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: If you could experience one famous endurance sport moment [DieselPete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DieselPete wrote:
Great question.

My first thought, like a few others, is “Win Paris-Roubaix!”

Then I wondered why I would rather do that than win the TdF.

Do our answers reflect “who” we want to be as much as the achievement that could result from being “that” person?

For example, does the dream to win Paris-Roubaix mean that I would want to be ultimately tough, gritty, a great bike handler, powerful, strategic, a real man’s-man in some way that is different than or transcends being a “mere TdF winner”?

Good points.

I think there's all kinds of things at play. The fame. How big a moment is the event itself in progress and at the finish.

Paris-Roubaix finishing in the velodrome in front of that crowd with a possible Sagan like sprint finish could be electrifying. And also get those things you mention, being a "man's man" of an event.

Then there's the spectacle of major Olympics events. Such a huge stage, huge moments, the biggest performances on the planet every 4 years.

Then there's some more "personal" and obscure things with major achievement potential. Like the swimming the English Channel. Or finishing Barkleys marathons. Massive massive achievements. I'm not a runner, nor trail runner. Watching that documentary and each year's summary is something I looked forward to. Amazing stuff.

I originally chose Obree because it was the amateur nobody against the pillar of the UCI and the pros. Mentally, he was in a bad place and needed that achievement to self-justify his existence at the time. Despite doing it in nearly empty velodromes.

I think there would be fun and spectacle also to the TdF choices. Storming up a mountain through hordes of lunatic fans encouraging you to suffer more and just trying to touch you or even give you a push along. Your name or country painted on the road and people's faces and bodies. Roadside flare torches lit up light it's a British soccer team rivalry match. All for cyclists that in the US most folks would just as soon mistake for a deer and treat as roadkill.

If a single day, the win by Lemond in Paris in the TT is an epic epic occurrence. I've watched that once or twice during a workout on the trainer. Not quite the same name, but almost my namesake.......Lemon.
Last edited by: burnthesheep: Dec 17, 19 5:39
Quote Reply
Re: If you could experience one famous endurance sport moment [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Strada Bianche, i watch it each year and it just looks amazing. It has to have one of the best finishes for any race ever.
Quote Reply
Re: If you could experience one famous endurance sport moment [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
one of the greatest moments in [american] sport

Wow- I'd forgotten how amazing that was. I just watched it about ten times.

I would like to have witnessed this one, especially if I could sit in the booth next to the announcer screaming "Look at Mills!!".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVlKVWFmfhk
Quote Reply
Re: If you could experience one famous endurance sport moment [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Winning on top of Ventoux on stage of tdf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are talking about the past, then hands down it would be 1989 Iron War. Dave Scott and Mark Allen.

- Jordan

My Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Roger Bannister - first sub 4 min mile.
Quote Reply
Re: If you could experience one famous endurance sport moment [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Abebe Bikila winning the olympic marathon in 1960 in Rome in barefeet...epic!!

Spaniard. Sorry for my english for the sensitive ones :P
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Win the Great Hawaiian Footrace held several times beginning in 1979. Two-week stage race averaging 15 to 20 miles per day.

or

Compete in the first IM.

Fun question!
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Dec 18, 19 6:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Easy.

1964 Tokyo Oly. 10,000 final.

Billy Mills, takes Gold. Only American ever to do that. Amazing race. Amazing man.

Was fortunate to sit and talk with him at a few social occasions (his grandsons birthday).

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd like to be Desi Linden for her Boston win

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are some odd notions of “endurance” in this thread.
Quote Reply
Re: If you could experience one famous endurance sport moment [Dean T] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dean T wrote:
Olympic Marathon. Specifically Frank Shorter's win in 72. That's what started all this for me. Suddenly it was cool to be skinny.

I wanted to be Frank Shorter when I was a HS runner in the mid '70s. I'm reading his book My Marathon now and don't know whether I would want to exchange my life for his.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Off topic, sort of:

Normandy invasion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It’s not endurance but you mentioned sprinting in the first post, so I’ll assume sprinting counts.

Win 100m track at Oly. It’s THE premier event at Summer Olympics (probably in all Olympics) and you get the crown as World’s Fastest Person.

Plus, as unattainable as any of these are, this is probably the most unattainable for me. I’m all ST!!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: If you could experience one famous endurance sport moment [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark Lemmon wrote:
Dean T wrote:
Olympic Marathon. Specifically Frank Shorter's win in 72. That's what started all this for me. Suddenly it was cool to be skinny.

I wanted to be Frank Shorter when I was a HS runner in the mid '70s. I'm reading his book My Marathon now and don't know whether I would want to exchange my life for his.

I ran into frank 7-8 years ago as he was kind of back stage in an alley warming up, as he was kicking off a 5k race out front for few hundred meters. Did not recognize him at first, just thought it was a crippled old man trying to warm up and jog but could not really go at all. He literally looked like a crippled man, and when I realized holy shit that is frank shorter, I said quick hi and said “warming up huh”. He said he was doing best he could. I was shocked how badly he moved. Nice guy though.
Quote Reply
Re: If you could experience one famous endurance sport moment [Pathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pathlete wrote:
Off topic, sort of: Normandy invasion.

Normandy 1944, Hell Yeah. More specifically, I would've liked to have fought with the Poles in the battle of the Falaise Gap in August '44. After the debacle of the Nazi invasion of their country in 1939, they were not about to surrender to the Germans no matter what. They suffered about 80% casualties until the Canadians finally broke through to relieve them. The Polish commander told his men "There is no thought of surrender. I say that as a Pole."

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man that's an interesting question. As much as I love bike racing and triathlon, I think I'd have to chose winning the Boston or NYC Marathon.The entire course is electric with energy, and the finish with an American leading would be insane (the reaction to Shalane's NYC win was insane as she ran through the last mile). I don't know if anything could rival running through Central Park or down Boylston with an echo of screaming people surrounding you. You'd also have a lot more recognition and fame within the US vs cycling or triathlon wins.

The only thing that might compare would be maybe a French rider winning on Alpe D'Huez would be the only thing comparable, but that wouldn't be the same significance unless they also won the TdF that year. For an American endurance athlete, I don't even think an Olympic gold would top Boston/NYC, maybe in the marathon but not the track where there are so many events.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Froome running up Ventoux in 2016
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Standing on the podium after winning Olympic Gold, having the medal placed on my neck, watching them raise the flag and play the anthem.

There is no bigger stage in the sports world than the Olympic podium.

Not Kona, not the TDF, not some bike race over cobbles, not some hockey event where you get a cup that's not even filled with beer.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Dec 17, 19 10:19
Quote Reply
Re: If you could experience one famous endurance sport moment [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Soccer scenario for me....

World Cup Final, . . . final minutes of OT in a closely contested but still tied game. . . People start to think ahead to penalty kicks. But then II'm on a breakaway . . . great scoring chance . . . but fouled. Ref awards the free kick from just outside the box . . . And I nail it... curling it perfectly around the wall into the upper corner of the net, just out of reach of a fully stretched keeper.... Global pandemonium erupts . . . World Cup Champs for next 4 years !

... ahh the stuff I dreamed about as a kid... and occasionally still do :-)
Quote Reply
Re: If you could experience one famous endurance sport moment [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
one of the greatest moments in [american] sport

Yeah, but fuck you ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XI_XeoIFnI
Last edited by: Francois: Dec 17, 19 10:54
Quote Reply
Re: If you could experience one famous endurance sport moment [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so very un-american of you
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Winning the 100, 200, 4x100 and long jump at the 1936 Olympics (while black) in front of Hitler.
For the sport glory and the major fuck you.

Close second would be biting Evander Holyfield's ear off. And third, Manu Gilobili catching a bat with his hands during a game against the Sacramento Kings ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tour de France 2004 - Stage 16: Alpe d'Huez TT

Great trainer watching unless you get triggered by Lance

Last edited by: Sean H: Dec 17, 19 11:07
Quote Reply
Re: If you could experience one famous endurance sport moment [natewalsh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
natewalsh wrote:
Froome running up Ventoux in 2016

I want to know what it feels like to have van der Poels power.
Quote Reply

Prev Next