Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
If You Can Only do Local Racing for next few years ?
Quote | Reply
Are you in?

Years ago, that's all there was, aside from a few people getting on planes to go to Hawaii and Nice. Eventually they had the USTS Olympic tri series....often the local USTS event was the big event for the local scene, but not that many people travelled to go do any of them at a distance. Eventually when there were national championships around the world and the ITU got organized, people travelled to go do their nationals and maybe fly to ITU worlds....but mainly it was the local "world championships" racing the same people week over week. Sometimes you battled out roughly the same people every weekend all summer.

So if you only have 50-500 person local events...sprints, duathlons, olympic tris, maybe the odd half IM, are you interested?

I started a weekly fun duathlon with a friend on a site where I used to organize races in 1990. We're not trying to make it big, just a few people on the course, and choosing segments to "race". The rest of it, is distanced group stuff. It feels good. Its turning into our weekly world championships, but I think locally we'll have a good series next year of local events and demand for once will relatively high compared to when Mdot events were cannibalizing the local events.

My local race directors are all getting ready for next year. If I was less busy with my professional life, I'd probably step in and organize some smaller local events that are bare bones and stripped down (show up, you get a closed course, you get a chip, you get a time and results, go home). No frills. That was pretty well what my events were like in the early 90's other than you got a Tshirt and some pizza.
Quote Reply
Re: If You Can Only do Local Racing for next few years ? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I'm in, and I think it is a real possibility.
Even if there were no racing at all, I'd still train as if there were. Better than being a couch potato!
Quote Reply
Re: If You Can Only do Local Racing for next few years ? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, though I will miss the scale and strength of field in the IM-branded races. There is a good possibility that a local tri will happen in my area in a month. I am in for that. It has always been small, and it is in a remote area that would be easier to manage the COVID separations. They are only doing sprint and Olympic distances. And in my humble opinion, they could eliminate all aid stations.
Quote Reply
Re: If You Can Only do Local Racing for next few years ? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In MN we are back to some races, one sprint done and 3 more in the next few weeks With a 70.3 in there as well. All seem to do time trial starts and 4-5 times the transition area to give people more room so far.
Quote Reply
Re: If You Can Only do Local Racing for next few years ? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Yes, though I will miss the scale and strength of field in the IM-branded races. There is a good possibility that a local tri will happen in my area in a month. I am in for that. It has always been small, and it is in a remote area that would be easier to manage the COVID separations. They are only doing sprint and Olympic distances. And in my humble opinion, they could eliminate all aid stations.

Yes, sprint, olympic and short duathlon can be 100% self supported. No aid stations. Show up, get your timing chip, line up spaced for the rolling start, go, finish, return your chip, go home. Results online. If you send off an athlete every 5 seconds we get 360 athletes off in 30 minutes, so ~500 in 45 minutes. You get a number between 0-500 and get in line close to your start time in that sequence (no need to stand around for 45 minutes if you are seed number 500)

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sure. All of my tri racing for the last decade+ has been local except for several nationals and a worlds that were within a day's driving distance.

When local officials starting giving race permits again, I wonder about the participant number limits. Will they allow races with 500 entrants but not 1000+ entrants? Will permits be limited to fields under 100? What does the participant number need to be for an RD to make $ on a tri, however no frills it may be?

I'd enjoy doing a no frills DIY tri that doesn't even have a transition area. Your car is your transition zone. All three legs are time-trial starts. When you get done with the swim you go to your car to get ready to start the bike time trial, etc.. All you need is a place to swim with a parking lot nearby and safe bike and run courses. Participants can self time. Transition times aren't included.

All I really want right now is to be able to look forward to participating in the local 4-mile running race on Thanksgiving. I doubt that is going to happen here in Ohio.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Aug 6, 20 7:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Absolutely. We have a strong triathlon scene near me. I would likely do all the races they offer as the competition is strong and the races are well run. Ironman puts on a great race, but I’m fine with less hype as long as the quality is good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely, most of my racing is local anyways I might do one IM branded or race that I have to travel for a year. Honesty, just want to race!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve done maybe 100 running races and tri’s in the past 12-15 years. Only one of them required me to travel more than a 6 hours drive from home.

When I first got into tri one of my favorite things was to race against a bunch of the same guys in different places every few weeks and chat it up afterwards about the race, training, etc. it was just a fun social environment.

Like any community, we have guys who only fly around to Ironman races and have never do any local races. It’s always drives me a bit nuts that they wouldn’t want to support the local tri community. Maybe with less or no big IM races to go to they’ll finally show up to some local stuff.

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes I am in. I race mostly local anyway with a bigger out of town race every couple of years.

The bottom line is I just like to race no matter race field size.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am not in in that scenario, I might do one or two events per year, but local events just don't get me jazzed up to train to that same level as when I'm training for Ironman. I'd find bike or run races/challenges that motivate me and forget about swimming.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: If You Can Only do Local Racing for next few years ? [triguy1956] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triguy1956 wrote:
Yes I am in. I race mostly local anyway with a bigger out of town race every couple of years.

The bottom line is I just like to race no matter race field size.

+1 for me. I just enjoy going hard and I am less enamored with the all fiddly stuff associated with traveling to a big event.
Quote Reply
Re: If You Can Only do Local Racing for next few years ? [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Mark, I put 50-500 in my original post kind of as a "cut off" where you can run local races, maybe break even depending on where and what you need to close, and will our peers settle for these "small events" or do they need the 1000-3000 person prime time hoopla?

I like you idea of DIY event where each leg is self timed and your car is your Tzone, but we don't start the next leg until everyone returns their stuff to their car and gets ready for the next leg....then hammer and time. To some degree, this is what I have been doing with a friend recovering from a brain surgery, but we're only hammering and timing certain legs, not the entire legs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hell yeah!
I miss the mid 80’s when every branch of the YMCA, the local swim club, the local bike shops, the university, and the running club all put on triathlons. Usually $20 or less. The only requirements was a signature on a waiver, and a bike helmet. The only support was water on the run course. Transition was often just a big field with bikes laying everywhere. Bike racks were a high class race! Young folks today don’t realize that the sport’s heyday was back then. The local scene was thriving, but the big IM events were just getting started. I’d love to see those grass roots days come back. In the mid 80’s, there were more triathlons than 5k’s.

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If we only do local racing for the next few years, we'll only do local racing for the next few years after that as well.

I dig the local scenes I typically race in. (AZ & NC although AZ's scene is rather slim/non existent comparatively)

If someone did pared down, no frill events I'd be all over that. I need another t shirt or finishers medal like I need a hole in my head.

Bottom line I like to race at least 8-12x per season and care less about which events and more about that I get to race.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Aug 6, 20 7:31
Quote Reply
Re: If You Can Only do Local Racing for next few years ? [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chemist wrote:
I’ve done maybe 100 running races and tri’s in the past 12-15 years. Only one of them required me to travel more than a 6 hours drive from home.

When I first got into tri one of my favorite things was to race against a bunch of the same guys in different places every few weeks and chat it up afterwards about the race, training, etc. it was just a fun social environment.

Like any community, we have guys who only fly around to Ironman races and have never do any local races. It’s always drives me a bit nuts that they wouldn’t want to support the local tri community. Maybe with less or no big IM races to go to they’ll finally show up to some local stuff.

This is what I really enjoyed about the local race scene in the early 90's. Everyone showed up and it was likely a weekly world championships. It was like Boston Red Sox and New York Yankees playing each other many times per year.

My friends in runnning, XC skiing, cycling, swimming they all have more of that "local scene/weekly world championships". Since i got into Masters Swimming I am really enjoying that aspect....5-10 meets per winter, same people doing similar events and going head to head.

Mdot racing kind of sucked that part out of our sport on a weekly "world's" basis. Maybe we can get some of that back!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Are you in?

Years ago, that's all there was, aside from a few people getting on planes to go to Hawaii and Nice. Eventually they had the USTS Olympic tri series....often the local USTS event was the big event for the local scene, but not that many people travelled to go do any of them at a distance. Eventually when there were national championships around the world and the ITU got organized, people travelled to go do their nationals and maybe fly to ITU worlds....but mainly it was the local "world championships" racing the same people week over week. Sometimes you battled out roughly the same people every weekend all summer.

So if you only have 50-500 person local events...sprints, duathlons, olympic tris, maybe the odd half IM, are you interested?

I started a weekly fun duathlon with a friend on a site where I used to organize races in 1990. We're not trying to make it big, just a few people on the course, and choosing segments to "race". The rest of it, is distanced group stuff. It feels good. Its turning into our weekly world championships, but I think locally we'll have a good series next year of local events and demand for once will relatively high compared to when Mdot events were cannibalizing the local events.

My local race directors are all getting ready for next year. If I was less busy with my professional life, I'd probably step in and organize some smaller local events that are bare bones and stripped down (show up, you get a closed course, you get a chip, you get a time and results, go home). No frills. That was pretty well what my events were like in the early 90's other than you got a Tshirt and some pizza.

Yes, I only do local races anyways.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm thrilled at this opportunity because

1) It'll make tri cheaper given the smaller, no frills events
2) It'll allow tri to balance the obsession with IM and show the world that there's dramatically more to triathlon than 140.6. In fact, I'm hoping promoters take this opportunity to experiment with the draft legal and XTERRA formats. I live near Boulder where there's a huge tri/road/mtb scene so these kinds of events should be a no brainer around here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just curious what you are thinking of as local? To/from driving same day or overnight stay at the venue?

Personally I would like to do everything online and show up at the race start, especially for running and cycling events. Why do I need to stand in line to sign a piece of paper? In addition, it allows the race staff to focus on those that need help and support - e.g. new athletes - and make it easier for them and volunteers to keep social distancing and provide value such as pre-race talks, rules, etc. but much of this can be done pre-race on zoom, YouTube, FB, etc.

I miss you "Sports Night"
Quote Reply
Re: If You Can Only do Local Racing for next few years ? [Quo Vadimus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been holding tri;s on fiesta island san diego for past 7 sundays. sprint to 70.3. I market hard, but yea there is a big crowd that wont do races unless its easy AG special division podium or Ironbrand race. But without that debbie downer note, We have had 20-40 people show up. Very well spaced. Definitely set up local events. Let the snobby people complain on their social media about races being canceled while you enjoy life.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I only ever did local races, anyway.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great topic Dev. I'm a coach with a club out here in the Fraser Valley of BC. Lots of enthusiastic members when it comes to racing! Hoping we can all bring the same degree of commitment and passion to putting on some low-key covid-friendly events in the future.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sure! We have some great Olympic and Half Iron Events still scheduled for this fall in our area!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Absolutely I'm in! In fact my wife and I drove from Cincy to Indy for a sprint/oly tri two weeks ago because Indiana has figured out how to conduct safe tris and the Ohio DNR won't issue permits. We thoroughly enjoyed it ... because we could race! Don't get me wrong. Big races (~2500) or destination races are fun. But I'll take racing over nothing any day. I just wish that some of these states would trust us to know how to conduct the events safely. The guys at Tuxedo Brothers in Indy did a great job!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Absolutely will race local! North Carolina has an awesome triathlon scene. I haven't done a WTC race since 2016 anyway........

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply

Prev Next