Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
If Speedplay Zero do everything that "X" series pedals do and more, then why...
Quote | Reply
Does Speedplay still make the "X" series pedal? We still have people ask for the "X" series pedal despite issues with the cleats dirt-fowling (the Zero cleats are made differently and resist or eliminate dirt fowling), no capability to adjust your rotational range of motion and an unnatrually (for me at least) wide release arc.

The Zero is the updated version of th "X" series. I was told by a sales rep over a year ago the "X" series would be "phased out over time" in favor of the Zeros.

Do people continue to buy "X" series pedals over the Zeros just becasue they don't understand why the Zeros are better?

Odd.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: If Speedplay Zero do everything that "X" series pedals do and more, then why... [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The X's are lighter for gram counters.
The X's look a little slicker, but alas, they don't come in colors.

-The Equipment Manifesto............It's so close you can taaiiisst it.
Quote Reply
Re: If Speedplay Zero do everything that "X" series pedals do and more, then why... [Ze Gopha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm. I didn't know they were lighter. Good point. I wonder what the weight difference is?

We never order "X" series pedals for the store anymore. We consider them "obsolete" in favor of Zeros where we can dial in rotational range of motion and don't have to warn customers: "Don't walk through a dirty transition area or you'll foul your cleats!"

With Zeros, all those issues are addressed. The darn things are so light- both of them- that a couple grams either way wouldn't bother me.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: If Speedplay Zero do everything that "X" series pedals do and more, then why... [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't get myself to switch to the Zero pedal. I have had the same pair of X-series since 1997 (after a three month relationship with Keywins that I couldn't find parts for) and have been trouble-free. I love the X and hope it is never done away with.

But- this is coming from a guy who hates clinchers, refuses to buy frames with integrated headsets, thinks the oversized handlebars are silly, and would love to go back to quill headsets. But that's just me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Their website says they just released a new X-Series pedal - the X5.
Quote Reply
Re: If Speedplay Zero do everything that "X" series pedals do and more, then why... [HRH bunnyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go back to Keywin. She's calling your name.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have multiple bikes all using x-series pedals, if I changed one to zeros, I'd have to change them all (or have a separate pair of shoes for each pedal system). If one failed, I'd be at the shop asking to replace that pair with x pedals rather than all of them with zeros
Quote Reply
Re: If Speedplay Zero do everything that "X" series pedals do and more, then why... [asgelle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now THAT is maybe the primary reason. So many people are "married" to the "X" series pedal that they don;t want to upgrade to the Zero since they would have to change pedals on multiple bikes, and admittedly very expensive affair.

This makes good sense, and realistically, Speedplay deserves credit for this approach I think. Contrast that with Shimano, who- when they release a new product, tend to pretty quickly "obsolete" the previous version by not supporting it with parts as readily.

To their credit, Speedplay hasn't abandoned the old-school "X" pedal customer and forced everyone to upgrade to Zeros. That is good.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom

I think the majority of consumers, including myself, don't think that the zero's offer that much of a benefit, a true benefit, over the X's.

Speedplay and your blurb here have failed to cause me to be willing to pay the extra $20 for a product that I see as basically a "me also" version of the original speedplays. You said the big differences are resist or eliminate clogging of the cleats and fixing the float. If it truly eliminates clogging 100% of the time thats one thing, but to possibly eliminate it or just resist clogging better, considering I've had fouled cleats about 3 times since 1997, I see no true benefit. As for fixing the float, I'm not going to do that, I might set it at 75% but I'm not spending my time dialing in a certain degree of float. Again no percieved benefit for me.

That sums up why I don't understand how the zero's offer a true benefit over the X2's

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: If Speedplay Zero do everything that "X" series pedals do and more, then why... [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If the "X" series pedals have all the features and benefits you need and are working for you, I agree that there is no compelling reason to make and kind of change.

The dirt fouling issue of the cleats and the diffference of the spring retention systems from Zero cleats to "X" cleats is reason enough for me to recommend Zeros over "X"'s. The "X" series cleat uses a round spring that can trap dirt behind it and then not engage the pedal. The Zero cleat is a flat spring with no exposed oriface behind the spring to trap dirt. It is much more difficult to dirt foul.

For triathletes who race in an area where they have a non-paved transition area (sand, dirt, gravel, grass) and they have to walk their bikes to the mount line with their cycling shoes on (I keep my pedals clipped to my shoes for just this reason) this is a significant deterant to the older version of the "X" series cleat.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: If Speedplay Zero do everything that "X" series pedals do and more, then why... [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, Speedplay still makes the X-series.

You've indicated that the zeros solve all these problems. However, they're not problems I'm experiencing. So they're not problems I'm worried about solving. I have 3 bikes. All have X-series pedals. I'm totally satisfied with them. There's not reason to make a change.

But I can see your point about transition areas. I haven't experienced that problem.

Bob C.

Bob C.

The "science" on any matter can never be settled until every possible variable is taken into account.
Quote Reply
Re: If Speedplay Zero do everything that "X" series pedals do and more, then why... [psycholist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree, I think our posts overlapped in timing. I sort of said the same thing a few posts up. This thread is moving pretty darn fast. :)

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zeros are easier to get in and out of (force) then zeros and they have a greater range of float.

zeros are for some, x series are for others. if you are tooled to manufacture both why should you eliminate one if it's still selling? not as many people drink diet coke as coke but coca cola isn't in a rush to get rid of it.

i do hear that if you put coke on you cleats it eats away the junk that gums them up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The X's are a bit easier to clip out of, at least for someone whos a bit shaky about that sort of thing. when they get crudded up i just squirt some of whatevers in my bottle on them.
Quote Reply
Re: If Speedplay Zero do everything that "X" series pedals do and more, then why... [ceitsab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't mean to disagree for the sake of disagreement, but unless I am terribly wrong (and I am quoted on the Speedplay manufacturers own website for saying this in a review published originally on my store website)- the Zero and X series pedals have the same degree of rotational movement. The zero has the capability to restrict the range of rotation all the way down to zero degrees from the original amount introduced on the "X" series.

Also, I would arguee the Zero are easier to disengage since the disengagement starts at the end of the rotational movement you dial in to the Zeros.

In other words: If you set your Zeros to 5 degrees of rotational movement, release begins to occur at the outer limit of that range of motion, i.e. 2.5 degrees from the center of the rotational range of movement if it is adjusted to be symetrical (half of the total 5 degrees).

On "X" series pedals, if you need only five degrees of rotational movement for the rider (and most riders do use about that little in normal race environments) you must travel their full 28 degrees of rotational range of motion to disengage. That is a lot of rotational movement to disengage.

Somewhat cryptically, the Speedplay website reports the release angle of the Zero series as "+/- 0-15° adjustable". I don't really understand how to interpret that. I guess any interpretation means that release occurs at 28 degrees for "X" series pedals, but could potentially occur at a range of 0 to 15 degrees (or 2X15 degrees: 30 degrees, if the rotational range of motion Speedplay refers to when they say "15 degrees" only represents rotation from the center orientation or range of travel trhough the total rotational range- my interpretation) for Zero pedals.

For comparison sake most other clipless pedals such as Look, Time (older, pre-"Impact" styles) and Shimano SPD/SL road pedals tend to release around 14 degrees rotation. That is half the rotation needed to escape "X" series pedals.

A lot of our "X" series customers report they have "Turn their foot too far" to escape their pedals. They don't have that problem with Zeros since an appropriate release point can be dialed in to their preference.

In simple terms: It is easier to get out of Zeros than "X"'s.

Also, there is some difficulty in the first 3-8 engagements of brand new, out of the box Zero pedals from our experience. This appears to be the result of the molding/machining of the polymer body of the Zero pedal interfacing with the new, foul-resistant flat spring on Zeros. Once you clip in 3-8 times, that does go away completely.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I once clogged my X cleats with GU. I drive a hatchback car and after a ride I am in the habbit of tossing my shoes in the left rear side of my hatch while laying my bike flat in the cargo area. I guess the half empty (or half full, depending on your personality type) flask of GU leaked out in into my X cleats, where it promptly harded. I have a don't ask, don't tell policy with the backseat of my car, so it took me awhile to figure out why I was having trouble clicking in my left shoe!
Last edited by: stl_triness: Dec 16, 04 21:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I could be wrong, but I think they still sell more of the X series than the Zeroes. I've been running the X series for years, have had them on 4 bikes(3 now) and have absolutely zero complaints.

Yes, it would be hard for me to switch now as I have the 3 bikes with the X series and 3 pairs of shoes with the X series cleats, but for me there is not enough perceived benefit. I think I've had a cleat clog maybe 3 times in 5 years, and don't want to adjust the float. I've done absolutely zero maintenance on my pedals and cleats in 5 years and I've never had to replace a set of cleats or have anything worked on in those 5 years.

Plus, they're heavier and more expensive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]I don't mean to disagree for the sake of disagreement, but unless I am terribly wrong (and I am quoted on the Speedplay manufacturers own website for saying this in a review published originally on my store website)- the Zero and X series pedals have the same degree of rotational movement. The zero has the capability to restrict the range of rotation all the way down to zero degrees from the original amount introduced on the "X" series.
[/reply]

I'm afraid you are terribly wrong:
he Speedplay Zero Pedal System introduces a new concept in pedal design that allows you to choose either a fixed position or up to 15 degrees of float. Zero pedals maintain the traditional feel of a fixed system while incorporating all the well-known advantages of Speedplay X Pedal Systems.
http://www.speedplay.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.zero

I use the X series pedals because they're cheaper, they're lighter (yes, only by a few grams), and I am perfectly fine with the float, since my feet don't wander all over the place. and if you set the float to zero, what's the point of getting speedplays? I am perfectly fine with turning my foot 28 degrees to disengage. the dirt-resistance of the zero cleats is not a big issue for me, because I manage not to get my X cleats fouled by walking carefully. had I started off on Zeros, I wouldn't exactly be complaining.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used X series pedals for a longtime, since maybe 96-97. Same pair with almost zero maintenance, except for new cleats every year or so. At the time I got mine, I think they were the best option (except for Time, perhaps; but the moron gram counter in me than wouldn't go for such a *heavy* pedal).

Now, I think Speedplays have fallen a bit behind Shimano (SL pedals) and Time (Impact, and the new ones ... RSX??) performance wise. I think there is a valid argument for having a larger pedalling platform and I no longer believe a ton of float is the recipe for healthy knees.

When my Speedplays finally pass away from old age and overuse, I'll likely replace them with Shimano, maybe Times if they prove as good as they look.

"In case of flood climb to safety"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My X pedals ( three sets ) never get into much dirt ( sand has screwed them up a few times) , I like the non-adjustable float . X-5s are the best value .

I hate that whole X cleats won't work on Zeros thing , Thats why some people still ride toe clips & straps , refitting a stable of 4 -10 bikes would kill you.

Those cleat plates grind up quickly, Why not 7075 alum or hardened Stainless plates ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tend to recomend the X pedals to first time clipless users.With those like myself coming from the Look system I put them in Zeros.I felt like I was walking on ball bearings with the X's.
Cullen
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The pedals are virtually identical in weight, but the cleat is slightly heavier on the zeros. I have 3 pairs of x's and don't want to incurr the cost of switching. Interestingly enough on newer x series cleat i have to file the left cleat a bit to get even more rotation. My left leg likes to point out a lot.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am also married to X and can't justify changing out for nominal gain. The only issue I have had with dirt clogging was at this years Vineman .5IM where there was a long run with bike through dirt. I did clog up there and cursed my cleats/pedals since you have to mount and immediatly climb steep hill. Other than that they are a great design and work very well with minimal maint.

Mike
Quote Reply
Re: If Speedplay Zero do everything that "X" series pedals do and more, then why... [TriMike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm. Interesting. We get do get customers who, like quite a few of you, are using "X" series on several existing bikes and don't want to upgrade to Zeros.

I'm not sure about putting first time users on "X" pedals though: The 28 deree release angle is quite wide and a primary concern of first time clipless users is the ability to escape from the pedal easily.

With look, Shimano and other "full platform" pedals it is easier for first timers to escape. It is also easier for people to escape from Zeros since the release angle can be adjusted inward for less rotational movement prior to release.

Interesting. -You I learn something every day on this forum. Thanks guys.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next