Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
If Andrew Talansky doesn't perform in the bike this weekend will you sign off?
Quote | Reply
1st I am a fan of his journey, but if he doesn't bike a top 3 time that would definitely have me worried. Is he training hard enough to respect these other triathletes? I don't really care about his swim/run this weekend, but I would like to see him display his bike.

Excited to see this play out.
Quote Reply
Re: If Andrew Talansky doesn't perform in the bike this weekend will you sign off? [thatzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Give it time, it's a totally different kind of ride.

Re: If Andrew Talansky doesn't perform in the bike this weekend will you sign off? [thatzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thatzone wrote:
1st I am a fan of his journey, but if he doesn't bike a top 3 time that would definitely have me worried. Is he training hard enough to respect these other triathletes? I don't really care about his swim/run this weekend, but I would like to see him display his bike.

Excited to see this play out.

Not only is it a different kind of ride, you also have to swim before it. Give him sometime to hone his skills.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is slowtwitch. People won't give him his props until he sticks it in Lionel's butt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I kind of expect him to hammer the bike this weekend too. I wrote in the st george thread that it's very possible that the only thing he did hard at oceanside was swim. His coach said afterward the he'd never even run that far before, so I can't imagine they had him hammer the bike then run the longest run he's ever done.

So maybe this week he hammers the swim and the bike then cruises on the run again. That's my hope anyway.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I won’t be worried. The interview on the Gerry Rodriguez podcast was great - he has a long-term vision and is being very smart in building towards it. I applaud his stated discipline. Any results will be too early to be truly indicative.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: If Andrew Talansky doesn't perform in the bike this weekend will you sign off? [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You maybe disappointed, a National womens 10km runner recently moved to Tri to compete and could only manage 3rd/4th best run split in an ITU world cup race.
Last edited by: Jackets: May 5, 18 4:26
Quote Reply
Re: If Andrew Talansky doesn't perform in the bike this weekend will you sign off? [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yay. A legit bike by Talansky on honest course. Only few down from the sanders kienle train...

Now I'll say he has that potential :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know why but I want to compare Talansky to Steve Larsen. Talansky has the better resume on the road (national time trial champion, top ten in Grand tour) but still can't out split triathletes on the bike. Larsen always had the fastest rides. Are triathletes faster riders these days? Or was Larsen just that great of an athlete?

https://www.slowtwitch.com/...to_gallery_1623.html

Also interesting to note that ex-cyclist Weiss had the fastest run split today. A cyclist out running triathletes.
Last edited by: Herbie Hancock: May 5, 18 11:37
Quote Reply
Re: If Andrew Talansky doesn't perform in the bike this weekend will you sign off? [Herbie Hancock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Big fan of Steve Larsen. I've always wondered if he put too much into the bike leg.
Quote Reply
Re: If Andrew Talansky doesn't perform in the bike this weekend will you sign off? [Herbie Hancock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Larsen certainly was a great athlete and I think he maybe over biked a bit, but more than anything I think he raced too hard too fast. Talansky has done two halves and I think he is being smart. He is not pushing the limits at all. Oceanside was his longest ever run...seriously. He cruised the whole way. At St George he looked like he tried a bit more, but again, the guy doesn't have the volume in his legs to push anything at this point. He clearly has an insane engine. I will check back in a year or two on this, but I hope he keeps on cruising through these races and never digs deep this year. It just isn't a smart thing with his lack of experience.

Cam Wurf has been slightly more aggressive in respect to the amount of volume and racing, but he has discussed in a half dozen interviews that he just isn't going to dig deep on the runs yet. It isn't smart to spend 10+ years with extremely minimal (non-existent even) run training and then just get in to 70.3/140.6 and find your limit the first year. I hope these two keep getting more experience and gradually get to the volume they need run wise. Once race experience, nutrition, proper adaptation are achieved then begin to find out what you are capable of.

By the way, I bet Cam Wurf ends up a better triathlete of Talansky or Larsen. He just seeming like a very complete sportsman no matter what he does.

...and if anyone has read the new story about Adam Hansen regarding his 20th straight Grand Tour, he mentions he started out as a triathlete and once he retires he plans on going for Kona. My guess is given his age it will be as a personal Age Grouper challenge, but very cool none the less. The guy can clearly endure just a bit!

http://www.cyclist.co.uk/in-depth/4701/going-for-20-adam-hansen-speaks-ahead-of-the-giro-ditalia
Last edited by: turdburgler: May 5, 18 12:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He loses over a minute in the first 11 miles and an additional 24 seconds to LS in T1. My bet is he was screwing around with his shoes clipped in out of T1.

I think being still very new to the sport, he needs to work on some finer technical elements.

I also bet he is holding back slightly on the bike because he is shit scared of how he will run.

Anyways just guessing.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: If Andrew Talansky doesn't perform in the bike this weekend will you sign off? [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:
You maybe disappointed, a National womens 10km runner recently moved to Tri to compete and could only manage 3rd/4th best run split in an ITU world cup race.

Why would I be disappointed? Wrong person?

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: If Andrew Talansky doesn't perform in the bike this weekend will you sign off? [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:
Jackets wrote:

Why would I be disappointed? Wrong person?

What made you think I was referring to you?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Because you replied to my post and said “you maybe disappointed...”

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:
Because you replied to my post and said “you maybe disappointed...”

I replied to the thread itself not to yours mate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gotcha. So, on this forum I believe it is assumed that when you reply to a specific post in the thread you are replying to that poster. Like now I am replying to you. I’d say reply to the original post if you’re just continuing the conversation.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Post deleted by windschatten [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:
Gotcha. So, on this forum I believe it is assumed that when you reply to a specific post in the thread you are replying to that poster. Like now I am replying to you. I’d say reply to the original post if you’re just continuing the conversation.

If I was replying to your post, I would have quoted you just like this! Are you drunk?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh man, that’s too bad. Where are you from?

So when you replied to me and said “you”, you were addressing...anyone who happened to read your post?

Just trying to unravel it.

Either way, I am not disappointed to learn about the national level runner and her run split, although I do find that sort of thing interesting and appreciate you sharing.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: If Andrew Talansky doesn't perform in the bike this weekend will you sign off? [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
mauricemaher wrote:
He loses over a minute in the first 11 miles and an additional 24 seconds to LS in T1. My bet is he was screwing around with his shoes clipped in out of T1.

I think being still very new to the sport, he needs to work on some finer technical elements.

I also bet he is holding back slightly on the bike because he is shit scared of how he will run.

Anyways just guessing.

Maurice

Yeah, and look at that Kienle guy.
Loosing so much time in T2 compared to Sanders.

That Newby really needs to work on that......Utter BS.

Last time I checked simple math usually isn’t utter BS, just pointing out that he loses 1:30 between T1 and 25 minutes into the bike.

And about the same over the last 45 miles or 1hour40 minutes.

So what happened?

Also keep in mind that Sanders used to be horrible at transitions.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: If Andrew Talansky doesn't perform in the bike this weekend will you sign off? [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:

...and if anyone has read the new story about Adam Hansen regarding his 20th straight Grand Tour, he mentions he started out as a triathlete and once he retires he plans on going for Kona. My guess is given his age it will be as a personal Age Grouper challenge, but very cool none the less. The guy can clearly endure just a bit!

http://www.cyclist.co.uk/in-depth/4701/going-for-20-adam-hansen-speaks-ahead-of-the-giro-ditalia

I saw that article yesterday and thought it was interesting read--obviously knew of his GT streak but not much more about him--after reading that article I have even more respect for him as a human than just a machine of a rider--he just gets it! I hope he helps influence other pro riders about life after cycling. And then he weaves in the Kona comment and I was blown away--just seems like type of guy that can just 'do it.'
Quote Reply
Re: If Andrew Talansky doesn't perform in the bike this weekend will you sign off? [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How does everyone feel about his race in St. George. He was just behind Lionel and Kienle on the swim and then ~2 min slower on the bike. Not bad for someone who just started swimming. The 1:30 run is way off the back of the top guys at 70.3. He will need to take 15-17 minutes off that to get into the mix. I think he is already in striking distance on the swim-bike. Solid age grouper performance, but a development project at the pro level.
Quote Reply
Re: If Andrew Talansky doesn't perform in the bike this weekend will you sign off? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He was about 20 minutes faster then Oceanside overall and ran 6 minutes faster at St George.

mikebikefit.com
Facebook: Cordova Bicycle Fitting
F.I.S.T Certified
Quote Reply
Re: If Andrew Talansky doesn't perform in the bike this weekend will you sign off? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I'm not mistaken he mentioned full IM distances would suit him better. Will be interesting if he really gets after it.
Quote Reply

Prev Next