Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ideas for Lunch Swims
Quote | Reply
I only have the opportunity to swim at lunch during work due to a lack of pool access near my home. In addition, I only have about 30-45 minutes to swim during lunch. For me this totals about 1750-2250/swim. I'm tired of doing the long stuff so I've decided to concentrate on Sprints and Olympics for the next 2 years. That being said, anyone have ideas of swim workouts that I can do that will help me in my pursuit of dominating the local Sprint and Olympic scene this coming Summer?
Quote Reply
Re: Ideas for Lunch Swims [SurgeMcDuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
see my sig line...

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For no non-sense, time-efficiency its hard to beat USRPT once or twice a week:

30x50 @ T-10 pace, or 20x100 @ T-pace either set on 20s rest.

I usually do 200-300 easy, straight swim as warmup, and then just bang it out. Followed by maybe 100-200 cool-down. Both workout to almost exactly 45minutes of water time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SurgeMcDuck wrote:
I only have the opportunity to swim at lunch during work due to a lack of pool access near my home. In addition, I only have about 30-45 minutes to swim during lunch. For me this totals about 1750-2250/swim. I'm tired of doing the long stuff so I've decided to concentrate on Sprints and Olympics for the next 2 years. That being said, anyone have ideas of swim workouts that I can do that will help me in my pursuit of dominating the local Sprint and Olympic scene this coming Summer?
15-20x100 yards on a short interval, use the first few as warmup. Ideal would be 2000, with 1500-1600 of quality.
Variations with a bit more rest (perhaps :20-30):
1) get 5 seconds rest at a hard tempo pace
2) do four negative split (second 50 faster than the first)
3) descend a block of four
4) two easy, two fast
5) first one is last 25 fast, second one is last 50 fast, third one is last 75 fast, fourth one is all easy/steady
6) alternate 100 IM with 100 free
7) drill/swim by 25
You can mix or match a couple blocks. A frequent set for me when I'm alone is 4 negative, 4 descend, 4 negative, 4 descend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
300 each swim kick pull

bang out a set of 100s on 15seconds rest

if you have time do a few sprints w/d and get out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 for USRPT, even though you may not have quite enough time for a "text-book" implementation. I'd suggest this as cornerstone main set, done at least twice a week: 16-20 x 75 at 400m/500y race pace on an interval that gives you ~20 seconds rest. If you fall off the pace, don't slog through; rest an interval and resume at pace. If you make 16 consecutive on your "race pace," it's time to go a little faster.

Other days, you can do:
  • shorter stuff (50's at 200 pace, 25's at 100 pace, all out 25's on long rest) to work on speed
  • some triathlon pace work 100's (at Sprint Triathlon swim leg pace) or 125's (Oly Triathlon swim leg pace)
  • Off-stroke stuff.

Once every 4-6 weeks, you might want to do a 400m/500y or 800m/1000y Time Trial.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Nov 6, 18 16:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Dirty 2k does wonders.

Straight through:
1x500
5x200
5x100

All at race pace. For example, a 1:30 sendoff (7:30/3:00/1:30) aligns with holding 1:30s on race day.

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: Ideas for Lunch Swims [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:

I usually do 200-300 easy, straight swim as warmup, and then just bang it out. Followed by maybe 100-200 cool-down. Both workout to almost exactly 45minutes of water time.

So, if I want to hold 1:30 on race day (T-pace), I touch the 30x50 on 40” (1:30-10=1:20) with a 60” sendoff?

Scott

Edit: math is hard
Last edited by: GreatScott: Nov 6, 18 19:30
Quote Reply
Re: Ideas for Lunch Swims [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:
Tom_hampton wrote:

So, if I want to hold 1:30 on race day (T-pace), I touch the 30x50 on 40” (1:30-10=1:20) with a 60” sendoff?

Scott

Edit: math is hard

T-pace is what you can do today for a long TT (1500)... Not your target race pace. As Gary said, do as many as you can at your CURRENT T-10 pace... When you fail to hold the pace, rest. The try again. Do that until you've failed 3 times.

When you can do 20 in a row, speed up by 1-2 seconds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure if you like to incorporate all four strokes but i've used the workouts in the link below quite a bit.

http://www.ruthkazez.com/LunchSwims.html

trav

Quote | Reply
Thank you all for the ideas. I really appreciate it. Now to look up USRPT and start utilizing all the suggestions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been doing a lot of these the last few weeks. My go to swims have been...
20x100 w/15-20 rest
10x200 w/20 rest

I have also gotten in the pool and kind of did what I felt good doing. Maybe a bunch of 50s or 100s. Mix them up. But a lot of it is get in and either no warm up or short warm up and little to no cool down. Straight to the good stuff!

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ive been doing swim workouts during lunch break for the better part of the last 15 years. I have an hour for lunch, and can typically squeeze in 1600 - 2200 yards a session. My workouts are simple - lots of freestyle, occasional 50 or 100 yd sprints, and a little kickboard.

Understand, Im a 57 yr old MOP swimmer, but this amount of swimming is more than adequate to keep you in good shape and with this base, several times per week year round, and some open water swimming during warmer weather (I live at the Jersey shore in Cape May County) I completed a HIM in 2016 and 2017 and IMMD in 2018.
Quote Reply
Re: Ideas for Lunch Swims [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
GreatScott wrote:
Tom_hampton wrote:

T-pace is what you can do today for a long TT (1500)... Not your target race pace. As Gary said, do as many as you can at your CURRENT T-10 pace... When you fail to hold the pace, rest. The try again. Do that until you've failed 3 times. When you can do 20 in a row, speed up by 1-2 seconds.

Ok, I touched 30x50 on 40” with a 60” sendoff this morning. The session was very different from my routine. I “enjoyed” the sensation of swimming “fast” and sit here feeling the aftermath in the legs.

Doing this routinely may be just what I need to break out of my 1:30 rut. For example, I held 1:30 for a 5k OWS this summer, but blow up touching 10x100 on 1:25 with a 1:30 sendoff.

Thanks for the tip!

Scott
Quote Reply