Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ice, black ice and other lethalities.
Quote | Reply
Riding home form here last night at, like, 3 AM I was about 1/2 asleep on my bike. It had been lightly snowing, streets barren. Quite nice in fact.

Drifting along in my stupor I was rudely snapped back to alert when I hit a patch of that stealthy demon, black ice.

Holy shit. Watch out for that. I nearly went down. I was awake for the rest of my ride.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Ice, black ice and other lethalities. [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What were you riding Tom? Your MTB or 2.5, and what tyres?

I recall a ride last January and we were down by a stream which ran parallel with the road when two of us went straight down. It was only as we got up and looked down the road that we could see ridges of clear ice where car tracks had solidified after crossing a slightly damp ford. That sure makes you ride tensed up.Yet another good reason to get down to the Velodrome. Except for the guy that fell off on Tuesday after I beat him in the Italian Pursuit! His mate said "I only wish you put down as much power in the race as you did when you crashed and we would have one!" There's nothing like well timed sympathy, and that was nothing like....

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Ice, black ice and other lethalities. [jk_allen13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was on my Fisher Montare 29'er MTB. I saved it, but just barely.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
See fat is good! You rx my e yet?

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hit an unexpected patch of ice early last winter while going at fairly moderate speed (@15 mph) and took a good tumble. Wacked my head so hard on the asphalt that I was dizzy even though I was wearing a helmet (maybe this explains some things). Anyway, I second the recommendation to be careful out there.
Quote Reply
Re: Ice, black ice and other lethalities. [jk_allen13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doin that about...... now.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In October I spent a weekend in Lake Placid and did a loop of the bike course. You know the ridiculously steep downhill that everyone talks about that starts about 10-12 miles into the loop? Well, I was flying down *that* when I hit a patch of black ice at like 35 mph. Talk about a holy shit moment, I practically added some padding to my shorts. Luckily I stayed upright, and stayed below about 28 for the rest of the decent.

Lee Silverman
JackRabbit Sports
Park Slope, Brooklyn
Quote Reply