Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IcaRus movie on netflix... crazy
Quote | Reply
Im surprised there have not been more threads or even a thread about this.
Just watched this, its crazy.
A must see for most everyone on this forum.
Cycling. Drugs. Russia. The Olympics. WADA.
Maybe its just me, but... WOW.
Quote Reply
Re: IcaRus movie on netflix... crazy [daved] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/Icarus_/_doping_doc_review_P6389986/?search_string=icarus#p6389986

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was literally at the bike shop picking something up today and the guy working there had asked me if I watched it.
I think I'll actually check it out tonight
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just watched it two days ago. Fantastic documentary! Definitely worth watching.
Quote Reply
Re: IcaRus movie on netflix... crazy [el gato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I watched it a few months ago.... was in a lot of awe for most of it rather its truthful or not
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it also just got nominated for an oscar
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Couldn't make that up if you tried. Unbelievable timing and story.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FYI - Lance's podcast (Forward) has a pretty good interview with the film maker. Kinda nuts when LA starts critiquing the doping selection that Bryan Fogel used
Last edited by: y_nigel: Jan 30, 18 13:27
Quote Reply
Re: IcaRus movie on netflix... crazy [y_nigel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Watched this on Sunday night after having it in my Netflix queue for months. I raved about it so much my wife - who has zero interest in cycling - watched it this morning and was amazed by it all, especially how brazen Rodchenkov was before the SHTF in revealing so much about doping to a guy he knew was filming him.
Quote Reply
Re: IcaRus movie on netflix... crazy [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree really great documentary. Our sport needs more awareness! I’ve had people who don’t even participate in endurance events recommend this to me. Broke down and watched a few months ago, was amazed.

David (CPT,CES,PES)
Personal Trainer/Coach
http://www.PESfit.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
saw it and really enjoyed it, for sure. i was left with a handful of questions that were not satisfactorily answered - maybe it needs a 'director's cut' or something? for instance, the fact that he didn't charge his di2 before the big race seems hugely bush league, and the efficacy of his own doping regimen never really gets explored. would he have tested positive? why, or why not? and with all the world's anti-doping agencies on the case, how is it that a random film-maker manages to crack the case? etc etc.

lastly: i have a few friends in antidoping and can assure you that they basically made this required viewing for their staff.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the whole thing is crazy and mindblowing and scary

The podcast was fun to watch too. I respect LA trying hard to be "journalistic" in his approach. And I saying this puts his situation into "perspective" is a very light way of putting it. It was funny to hear him say to Bryan that all he doped too much or didnt need to do all that... haha
Quote Reply
Re: IcaRus movie on netflix... crazy [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
saw it and really enjoyed it, for sure. i was left with a handful of questions that were not satisfactorily answered - maybe it needs a 'director's cut' or something? for instance, the fact that he didn't charge his di2 before the big race seems hugely bush league, and the efficacy of his own doping regimen never really gets explored. would he have tested positive? why, or why not? and with all the world's anti-doping agencies on the case, how is it that a random film-maker manages to crack the case? etc etc.

lastly: i have a few friends in antidoping and can assure you that they basically made this required viewing for their staff.

I felt the same. I would have been as interested in seeing the original documentary as it was meant to be made as I was interested in seeing what it turned into. Still, enjoyed it a lot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:

A few of those questions are answered I believe in the podcast that he did with Joe Rogan a while ago. I watched the movie again and then watched the podcast and found it a nice addition :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
he fact that he didn't charge his di2 before the big race seems hugely bush league

It's been awhile since I watched the movie but I did happen to listen to his interview on Lance's podcast this morning. In the interview he didn't say it was a battery issue but rather a cable/connector issue, i.e. something came loose. Speaking from experience I had that happen to me while passing through a small town on my way to the Mortirolo in Italy. Just after passing over the cobbles I lost the ability to shift and was left in the big ring. I was getting very worried about the upcoming climb. I stopped at the bottom of the climb to trouble shoot. It took me about 10 minutes to get it working again. Ended up being one of the wires into the shifter. That was back in 2014 and it's happened one other time since then. I now keep a spare Di2 connector tool in my saddle bag just in case.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The latest news on the case, but about 6 weeks ago it is reported that the FSB (former KGB) have dispatched a hit squad to murder this guy. Putin and his minions really know no boundaries.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also Rich Roll's podcast featured him a few weeks ago.

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Re: IcaRus movie on netflix... crazy [boobooaboo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Watched this a few months ago. Just listened to the LA podcast. Answered some questions I had about what was going on in the documentary.
Somewhere in the talk with Lance, he mentions once he realized how big the Russia doping angle was, he dropped the original premise of his doping story for the documentary.

After watching it, I don't think I could ever dope. Can't believe how much effort is required to do it. Although the 250ftp to 350 ftp jump would be nice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I could probably search.. but anywhere to watch it other than Netflix?

Team Zoot - Great Lakes
Quote Reply
Re: IcaRus movie on netflix... crazy [mattr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And it’s not like he was untrained before hand... that jump is insane. And light dude too, like 130lbs iirc from The Forward.
Quote Reply
Re: IcaRus movie on netflix... crazy [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MadTownTRI wrote:
And it’s not like he was untrained before hand... that jump is insane. And light dude too, like 130lbs iirc from The Forward.

There's no way he had the results he had before doping on 250W threshold. I believe he was likely doping before doing the documentary, explaining why he didn't get massively better in the actual race.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: IcaRus movie on netflix... crazy [tjones2k9] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tjones2k9 wrote:
I could probably search.. but anywhere to watch it other than Netflix?

Pretty sure Netflix is the only (official) way to watch it, as they own the distribution rights.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mattr wrote:
Although the 250ftp to 350 ftp jump would be nice.

I watched it a while back, I didn't pick up on that. He started at 250? Nooooo.

250w at 130ish lbs is very nice. But I have a hard time believing his starting point was 250w and not somewhere already in the low 300's. Not because of impossibility or disbelief, but from a standpoint of being that competitive with just 250w.

FWIW, people can gain lots of watts in a couple years. If I stay on track, I might gain 50w or more for two years in a row. And I'm a nobody who drinks beer, eats snacks, and has kids. I think the allure of the drugs to people is that they can turn that 50w/year into 50w in 6 months or some crap. I'd be concerned you'd really really hurt yourself badly. I mean, this guy put his life on the line to do that. I couldn't hardly watch him stick himself with what was likely some black market Chinese sourced injections. Yuck.
Quote Reply
Re: IcaRus movie on netflix... crazy [boobooaboo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
boobooaboo wrote:
Also Rich Roll's podcast featured him a few weeks ago.

I'd heard about Icarus here first, then Larissa Connors raved about it on her episode of The Forward, then I heard Bryan Vogel on Rich Roll, by which time I just HAD to see it, so D'Kid let me log into her Netflix to watch it

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mattr wrote:
Somewhere in the talk with Lance, he mentions once he realized how big the Russia doping angle was, he dropped the original premise of his doping story for the documentary.

"I started making a completely different movie, two years into making the first movie"

The way I saw it, while watching, he kept the cameras rolling on Grigory just in case something happened to him they'd have evidence in ... whatever happened next

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply

Prev Next