Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I would like to share an exercise for those of you with a tight IT band and/or TFL
Quote | Reply
leg raises w/ foot externally rotated

you're welcome.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: I would like to share an exercise for those of you with a tight IT band and/or TFL [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:

you're welcome.

Lay in bed (bonus) close to the edge. raise your leg and bring it over top of the other leg and hang it down off the bed. You are very welcome. You may need to use a strap to bring it across better as well. I LOVE that stretch
Quote Reply
Re: I would like to share an exercise for those of you with a tight IT band and/or TFL [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do a version of that but the foam roller is in place of the bed.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: I would like to share an exercise for those of you with a tight IT band and/or TFL [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:

you're welcome.

Don't forget to target the glute medius and maximus as well, which both form the IT band along with the TFL. I do this exercise a few times a week with ankle weights, along with a lot of band exercises.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
I do a version of that but the foam roller is in place of the bed.

I didn't realize you were into S&M! Carry on....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you elaborate a bit? Are you lying down on your back? Or seated?

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great exercise for conditioning knees
A must for beginner runners!
Quote Reply
Re: I would like to share an exercise for those of you with a tight IT band and/or TFL [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lay on your side. It's a good old fashion leg lift - the sort of calisthenics I saw my mom do when I was little - with the foot externally rotated. This link has a little video
https://recoverathletics.com/how-to-fix-tfl-tightness-from-running-tensor-fascia-latae/#:~:text=They%20found%20that%20side%20leg,TFL%20and%20make%20it%20STRONGER.

Quote Reply
Re: I would like to share an exercise for those of you with a tight IT band and/or TFL [Th4ddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes the glute medius... when I do work on my glute medius by doin lateral band side walks and monster walks my IT always feels better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been religiously doing leg raises like your Mom for decades and along with stretching it has seemed to work to avoid the IT band issues I had in my youth. I'll try them with the foot rotation.
Quote Reply