Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I woke up with a crick in my neck...
Quote | Reply
What do you do when this happens? I already know that I'm not going to be able to swim since it goes down into my shoulder. I just haven't decided if I want to try running or cycling today.

Ed

LLLEEEEEEEEEEEERRRROOOYYY JEEENNNNNKKKIIINNNNNS!!!
Quote Reply
Re: I woke up with a crick in my neck... [edwinj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd suggest a brick workout.
Go Vote, then go cycling. Ponder your decision, come to the conclusion you were wrong. The go for an eight mile run to punish yourself.

-I'm voting for Bush, but if I were for Kerry I'd vote for Nader.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had this happen to me 3 weeks ago. I had sort of a "crick" for several days, but just ignored it. Finally Saturday I woke up and couldn't turn my head to the left. To make a long story short, a physical therapist did some massage and stretching and ice/heat. The stretch is kind of hard to describe, but here goes: Place the arm that is on the sore side behind your back, relax. Tilt your head at an angel halfway btw straight forward and over the shoulder. You should feel the stretch all the way down the side that is stiff and even into the shoulder a bit. I used heat to help relax the muscles that were tight (shoulder/lower neck) and ice to reduce the swelling at the trigger spot in my neck. This worked really well. I was stiff for another 1-2 days, but nothing major. The doctor advised me not to run, but as soon as I could turn my head I was back on the road. The important thing was to stretch as soon as you finish. The muscle tightens when you are done exercising and can make things worse. Hope it helps!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
actually, swimming is exactly what you need. go swim 4k.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is my indication that I need to go see my chiropractor. Happens 2 to 3 times a year for me. I have an excellent chiropractor and I get immediate relief. Not sure if you should start with this if you don't already go to one (it's tough to find a good one), but it's certainly one option to consider.

D.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Muscle relaxants, asap. Stuff like Robitassin or Robitussin. Take some and take it easy for a day.

Neck pains like the ones described are usually muscle related. Going to chiro for muscle stuff is like going to automechanic for auto body work.

I'm not a chiro, or a doctor, or do I play one on TV.
Quote Reply
Re: I woke up with a crick in my neck... [bitwiz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I had some Flexeril I'm sure it would do the trick. I hadn't thought of Robo. I get this every now once in a while. Swimming is definately out, I've tried it before and it just doesn't work, too much pain. Cycling is out too, but I may try running later. I think I'm going to get a massage, hopefully that will help.

Thanks to all for the advice,

Ed

LLLEEEEEEEEEEEERRRROOOYYY JEEENNNNNKKKIIINNNNNS!!!
Quote Reply