Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I want to race next week. Too soon after IM?
Quote | Reply
IM Distance was Nov. 6. I would like to race next weekend, either Half or what they are calling Quarter Iron. I am not a highly conditioned individual. 70% of everybody finished ahead of me.

Should I wait a bit more? Am I just experiencing withdrawal?
Quote Reply
Re: I want to race next week. Too soon after IM? [Monk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i think you're still on the post im high. it usually lasts a week or so if you've had a good race and you feel like you could do another. that feeling will wear off and your body will tell you to take 2 weeks off from training with plenty of sleep and ho ho's (the chocolate treats not the women).

i would suggest you wait. your body is much more beat up than it's telling you right now.use this time to bask in the glory of your im finish.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wait. Concentrate on an active recovery and what your plan for next year will be. After a couple of seasons of adding to your base, if you want to jump into a race a week or two after, go ahead.

But I wouldn't do it yet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go for it!

But, be careful. Your body will be recovering for another few weeks. Your risk of injury/cold/flu/etc is very high......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you race, just make sure you bring slowman along :)

�The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it.� -Michelangelo

MoodBoost Drink : Mood Support + Energy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
too soon. you need to let your body recover from the demands of an ironman, even if you're feeling ready to go. you especially don't want to damage any connective tissue which have been subjected to a lot of stresses that you may not be aware of. let your body and mind get it's much deserved rest for a couple of weeks, then refocus to prepare for another successful season.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IM-FL was my first IM last year. Couldn't wait to get back to training and pushed the recovery period. I had a crappy year this year. Lots of injuries. I attribute it to not having enough recovery.

HH

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: I want to race next week. Too soon after IM? [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Concensus, except for Smitty, who would lke to see me get a cough/cold/flu, etc. is stay home. I almost got talked into the West Palm Beach Marathon/Half Marathon this weekend--inaugural, etc.

I had the sense to say no, not even the little-bitty half.

Thanks guys. I know you are right. You know my lack of base. That's nice :) Like I just asked my own brother a question and he told me the no BS truth.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good decision. Actually, I've been going through the same dilemma, and had thought of making this exact post, almost word for word. I woke up on Thursday and couldn't believe how good my legs felt, no pain or soreness at all, and started entertaining thoughts of just getting this 1/2 out of the way too.

I don't think I would ever have really talked myself into it either, but it is kinda tempting in some sick way that I don't fully understand. I also have a better understanding of how people can pull off multiple IM in within a few weeks of each other, I thought it was absolutely crazy before, now I still do, but it seems more do-able to me now then it did before I had finished one.

So does this quick recovery from the IM mean that I trained sufficiently for how fast I went, or that I didn't push myself hard enough? I'm thinking a combination of the two.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have no good advice except that I know how you feel. I did IMFL (my first) last week as well. If it's any consolation, I was the in the 30% that finished after you. ;)

Anyway, I want to race again...right now. I feel better than I did after a half IM that I did in July. Thank God I live in Chicago b/c besides a turkey trot, my racing opportunities are slim to none.
Quote Reply
Re: I want to race next week. Too soon after IM? [jv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>>So does this quick recovery from the IM mean that I trained sufficiently for how fast I went, or that I didn't push myself hard enough? I'm thinking a combination of the two.<<

You may feel like you are recovered, but you likely aren't.

"'Over recover' a little bit -- IM fatigue is different than most other types." [Gordo]

http://www.coachgordo.com/forum2/upload/index.php?showtopic=549&hl=
Here's a thread about IM recovery.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do it! Just go slow and have fun. You probably won't be able to go fast, even when you try. The IM's take alot out of you. When I did my 2 IM's I did a "sprint" triathlon the following weekend. The legs just had no speed on the run! I could run as fast as I could and the legs just would not turn over fast.

Paul
Quote Reply
Re: I want to race next week. Too soon after IM? [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got to agree with Gordo on that one.

I once ran a marathon on little training and suffered like hell towards the end and could barely walk for a week. Was in good nick for an Ironman and felt much better the week after that than the week after the marathon... but... Deep down, in places we don't even talk about at parties... there was a level of fatigue that I didn't necessarily feel but I new was there - injuries at that time are a huge risk.

(A good Ironman batters you to your soul!)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Puss

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: I want to race next week. Too soon after IM? [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tibbs, timing is everything, you just made one word funnier than most of the posts on here.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the past I have been all wound up to train and race just after an IM, and every time I was stupid enough to go for it, I would have a banner day. I would record fantastic splits, like a 12 minute t2, or a 7 minute t1 (that's for a sprint). I would start the day with the best of intentions, and finish the day with a cold. Since I got my cold already this year, I think I will wait until spring. Someone has already said I should do the Philly marathon. I said I already did a marathon this month at IMF, and they said it doesn't count because I walked most of it. That was funny.

Bask in the afterglow, and take some time off, there will be plenty of chances next season.

"Maybe you should just run faster..." TM
Quote Reply
Re: I want to race next week. Too soon after IM? [Tri1016] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I have no good advice except that I know how you feel. I did IMFL (my first) last week as well. If it's any consolation, I was the in the 30% that finished after you. ;)

Consolation? Hell, it makes life worth living! :)

(30% was an approximation (translation: lie) it was maybe like 29%)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was having similar thoughts this week, because I have felt pretty good since Tuesday. Then I woke up this morning with some serious fatigue in my hips. It might just be that I was on my feet for a couple of hours Friday night and Saturday afternoon at my sons select baseball games. I have also felt like sleeping more than usual. I'm planning to take another week or two before returning to training although I'm going to start my core routine and some stretching next week to get the blood flowing.

Todd
Quote Reply