Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
I want a bike that can do everything. And that I can afford.
Quote | Reply
Title says it all. I want a bike that can do everything- tire clearance to ride gravel, nimble enough to road race, and also able to slap on some aero bars for an occasional tri. Obviously there's compromises to be made, but I only have room for and a budget for one bike and maybe 2 or 3 wheelsets. Oh, and it also needs to be truly affordable for the common man. Does such a thing exist? Is that asking too much with too many compromises?
Quote Reply
Re: I want a bike that can do everything. And that I can afford. [jjstains] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, and it also needs to be truly affordable for the common man.

-----

What is that price range?

$2500 or $2000?

"common man" I assume we are speaking about semi-committed people, etc.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: I want a bike that can do everything. And that I can afford. [jjstains] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://bikerumor.com/...ero-all-road-builds/

3T Exploro fits what you’re asking for but the price might be a little high. There are several ‘gravel’ bikes that can perform just fine on the road.

For a budget option, Giant has their Toughroad GX. Comfortable geometry, super affordable, and very versatile.
Last edited by: Cup: Sep 15, 19 11:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends on your definition of affordable, but the new Cervelo Aspero would be my choice.

https://bikerumor.com/...he-rough-into-speed/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got a Canyon Endurance earlier this year and really like it quite a bit. Pretty versatile road bike, climbs well, good on rougher roads, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: I want a bike that can do everything. And that I can afford. [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lol, common man = not a dentist. I finish drywall and paint for a contractor, am working on a master's, and have a 2 month-old son. Now isn't the best time to be looking at bikes, but I can't help myself. I just want to be able to race whatever I want to race without having a fleet of bikes. Or even a single super expensive bike. Sub-2k is the ticket.
Quote Reply
Re: I want a bike that can do everything. And that I can afford. [Cup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RE Exploro- that's exactly the problem. It's exactly what I want (or think I want) but outside my price range. They keep bringing it down, so maybe in 5 years I can reasonably afford it.

The Toughroad has come up as an option and looks appealing- thanks for the recommendation
Quote Reply
Re: I want a bike that can do everything. And that I can afford. [pete459] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh yeah the Aspero is definitely on my wish list, along with the Exploro. But, outside of my current budget
Quote Reply
Re: I want a bike that can do everything. And that I can afford. [jsmith] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have an idea of the max tire clearance on the bike?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cannondale synapse. Endurance bike that is made to race on cobbles. Choice of Carbon or aluminum frame, disc breaks, nice tire clearance. 1 con is the many proprietary components.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get an endurance road, gravel or cyclocross bike used. Can easily get a pretty decent one for under 2,000.
Last edited by: MBaier: Sep 15, 19 13:20
Quote Reply
Re: I want a bike that can do everything. And that I can afford. [Team7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What components are proprietary on a Synapse?
Quote Reply
Re: I want a bike that can do everything. And that I can afford. [MBaier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh yeah, I'm definitely aware of that. I'm looking for ideas for the best options, either new or used, that fit my three performance related criteria.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trek Madone Disc Speed

https://www.trekbikes.com/...-disc-speed/p/28014/

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A Cannondale Topstone (not the new carbon one) is under 2k and might work well. I think with a couple different sets of tires, it will work well for gravel/road. You certainly won’t win any tris on it, but there’s the compromise you have to make. It comes stock with 40mm tires which are good for gravel and you can get some road tires and have dual use. No proprietary parts either.
Quote Reply
Re: I want a bike that can do everything. And that I can afford. [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I mean, yeah, that definitely fits the performance criteria, but waaaay out of a reasonable pricepoint for me for now, probably forever. It's a nice thought, though
Quote Reply
Re: I want a bike that can do everything. And that I can afford. [MBaier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MBaier wrote:
Get an endurance road, gravel or cyclocross bike used. Can easily get a pretty decent one for under 2,000.

I suggest the same. A good cx bike will do it all.
Quote Reply
Re: I want a bike that can do everything. And that I can afford. [sake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh yeah the Topstone is definitely on my list, alongside the CaadX and Giant Toughroad, as viable options. Was hoping for options with a little bit of aero to it 🙃
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got one for you. You may have to wait for it to arrive. It's a UK bike brand. Considering it for my next do-it-all.

And starts at $1600.https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-cgr-sl/
[/url]
Quote Reply
Re: I want a bike that can do everything. And that I can afford. [Chan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damn. That's one I haven't seen yet and might just have jumped to the top of my list!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been eyeing this one for now.
https://www.viathonbicycles.com/products/g1-force
If you go down to the 105 model it's in your budget, has a more road-like geometry, and has some massive tire clearance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seat post and bottom bracket.
Quote Reply
Re: I want a bike that can do everything. And that I can afford. [Seamonster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Viathon is an interesting brand, and from what I've read probably won't be around too much longer? They tried selling direct through Walmart and apparently it didn't go so well...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe you said and I missed it, but what bike(s) do you currently have? And are you adding or replacing?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jjstains wrote:
I mean, yeah, that definitely fits the performance criteria, but waaaay out of a reasonable pricepoint for me for now, probably forever. It's a nice thought, though

But you didn't tell me WHAT the budget was.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply

Prev Next