Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I want Zipps.
Quote | Reply
Got an email from CompetitiveCyclist today and they have the 808s and 404s on sale. The 808 are firecrest tubular too.

What are the differences between the 2012's and the 2011's besides the rad beyond black colorway? The rim shape is obviously firecrest but i didnt see any other hub etc benefits.

Quote Reply
Re: I want Zipps. [tootalltri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tootalltri wrote:
Got an email from CompetitiveCyclist today and they have the 808s and 404s on sale. The 808 are firecrest tubular too.

What are the differences between the 2012's and the 2011's besides the rad beyond black colorway? The rim shape is obviously firecrest but i didnt see any other hub etc benefits.

New hub. It's not just the colors. The hub is new. Or, rather it is an "update" to the 88/188.

From Zipp.com:

88/188 – October 2011

Re-design (V7) and improve the current 88/188 hubs with canted, rear, non-drive flange and rear axle changed to accommodate 7.5mm wider non-drive bearing location. Hub are offered in two color options - falcon gray and beyond black across the wheel line, (October 2011).

These changes improve rear 188 hub axle durability and allow 6% stiffer wheels to be built with the same spoke tension. On the 88 front hub, the only change is the color options – the silver and ZedTech hub 88/188 hub versions are discontinued.

Note: the rear 188 hub shell and axle are NOT compatible with the earlier silver version. The bearings (61803) end caps and seals remain unchanged.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you do your research, you can do better than 30% off. I know for a while texascyclesports had them at 40% off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can buy my 2010 808s so I can upgrade to FC. :p
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Firecrest wheels appear to be sold out already, in clincher, still some tubulars.
Last edited by: orgsxrracer: Feb 23, 12 12:39
Quote Reply
Re: I want Zipps. [edt12b32] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Online they're $50 off, or 1.7% off. Not quite 40%. At least as it applies to the Firecrest Clincher.

http://www.texascyclesport.com/...m.asp?idProduct=4286

I wanna go fast!
Last edited by: ironmanatee: Feb 23, 12 12:56
Quote Reply
Re: I want Zipps. [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
tootalltri wrote:

New hub. It's not just the colors. The hub is new. Or, rather it is an "update" to the 88/188.

From Zipp.com:

88/188 – October 2011

Re-design (V7) and improve the current 88/188 hubs with canted, rear, non-drive flange and rear axle changed to accommodate 7.5mm wider non-drive bearing location. Hub are offered in two color options - falcon gray and beyond black across the wheel line, (October 2011).

These changes improve rear 188 hub axle durability and allow 6% stiffer wheels to be built with the same spoke tension. On the 88 front hub, the only change is the color options – the silver and ZedTech hub 88/188 hub versions are discontinued.

Note: the rear 188 hub shell and axle are NOT compatible with the earlier silver version. The bearings (61803) end caps and seals remain unchanged.

Thanks Rapp!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anything on sale on CC, you can find regular price elsewhere.
Quote Reply
Re: I want Zipps. [gary_a_gooner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: I want Zipps. [jjabr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jjabr wrote:
You can buy my 2010 808s so I can upgrade to FC. :p
If you really wanna sell them, just let me know.

-D
Quote Reply
Re: I want Zipps. [fastwiley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The 2011 808 set or 606 would be fast and that is reasonable.(Gearwest) I am a HED fan due to price but thats really decent. You might get a set of Hed S-9 or S-6 / S-6 for a little less on the Hed UK site or at Licktons but the difference would only be a couple of hundred, maybe a little more - so if your heart is set on FC - the Gearwest deal looks good. The 2012 model may have a slightly better hub but will that actually make you faster? If Zipps advertising is to be believed, the 2011 hubs were pretty darn good and there is not update in aerodynamics.What you are buying is aerodynamics.
Last edited by: bc22: Mar 15, 12 21:26
Quote Reply
Re: I want Zipps. [dav987654321] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha I posted that as a joke, but as it turned out I picked up some FC808s and my 2010 808s are in the classifieds! They're a little different than regular 808s though as they're special editions, but the asking price reflects that.
Quote Reply
Re: I want Zipps. [dav987654321] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i got a 2009 rear only in the classifieds.
Quote Reply