Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
I think I'm going to start an aero wheel company. Am I crazy?
Quote | Reply
My twin brother and I are mechanical engineers. After getting into triathlon a few years ago I was blown away by how expensive race wheels were. I've always thought there must be a cheaper way to offer quality race wheels. For the last few months we have been putting together a business plan, designing wheels on paper, building a website etc.

We are confident that we can bring 60mm, 90mm and disc race wheels to market for $249 for a front wheel and 299 for a rear wheel. We also have plans to offer an "aero arsenal" that will allow athletes to by 3, 4, or 5 race wheels for a discounted price.

Tell me if you think there is a place in the market for these wheels before I spend some serious cash. For the record, the wheels's aero numbers will compete with the more expensive competitors.

Thanks and please be very honest.

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Re: I think I'm going to start an aero wheel company. Am I crazy? [Canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You say the "aero numbers" will compete with the more expensive competitors. How will you know this? Are you going to spend the $2,500/hr in the wind tunnel? If so (and make the data know), sure I'll buy! I do think you can save *some* money by not using the absolute lightest stuff since most *here* know that aero trumps weight.

Also, if you discover that the torroidal rim ship is indeed fastest, how will you get around the patent?

Last edited by: rroof: Jan 14, 10 9:56
Quote Reply
Re: I think I'm going to start an aero wheel company. Am I crazy? [Canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do some research on J-Disc. I raced them for years and still would if they were around. Low cost and every bit as aero as a Zipp disc, but for .15 cents on the dollar.

If you could make a wheel that wouldn't break I would be more interested in that than the aero numbers as long as it's close. I have broken way too many carbon rims in my day. Having great luck with my Mavics......those guys can make a tough wheel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sure, subject to durability and performance (normal stuff: aero, reasonable weight, decent brake track, etc.).
Have you looked at Renn's discs?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think that if you can truly bring the wheels to marked for about $550 a set, you are going to sell some whether or not you have testing data to back up your claim. You may not sell a ton, but at that price, you'll probably have some people taking the chance. However, I'm assuming that the prices you state are based on the assumption of being able to sell a certain number of wheels. Depening on what your target number/break-point it, you may not reach it without some wind-tunnel data to support your claim. That's where it really gets tricky. Do you spend the money to test the wheels in hopes that you'll sell more, or do you not do the testing and hope that the price-point is too attractive for people to pass on.

Also, keep in mind that you need to be able to deal with warranties/repairs. If you aren't ready to deal with someone sending a bad/damaged wheel back, the public bashing you'll get for poor customer service will kill your reputation quicker than you can imagine.
Quote Reply
Re: I think I'm going to start an aero wheel company. Am I crazy? [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know its semantics, but the A2 Wind Tunnel in NC is $390/hr.

Their resume of cyclists and triathletes that have tested there is impressive.
Quote Reply
Re: I think I'm going to start an aero wheel company. Am I crazy? [btmoney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I know its semantics, but the A2 Wind Tunnel in NC is $390/hr.

Their resume of cyclists and triathletes that have tested there is impressive.

Thanks! Just throwing out the numbers Zipp uses for the one(s) in Texas/San Diego. Love "real" data though 8-)

Re: I think I'm going to start an aero wheel company. Am I crazy? [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Let me try and answer a bunch of questions

Yes we will do aero testing and post our numbers.

Our wheels will be very durable

Regarding the patent, we've got that 99% taken care of.

Material selection and our manufacturing process will allow us to offer the prices.

Custom color options will be no extra charge.

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I think there is a niche to be filled. It would fall between the generic Asian wheels and the Zipps/Heds.

Even if the wheels were a little heavier, and a little less aero, I think people would buy them at that point, certainly over a generic 5-times-rebranded Asian wheel.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i would totally support you guys, youre def one of my favorite posters on ST!

i really hope you can get some sort of modified toroidal shape to compete with zipp/hed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
whatever happend to Token? Didn't they try this?
Quote Reply
Re: I think I'm going to start an aero wheel company. Am I crazy? [SwBkRn44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Even if the wheels were a little heavier, and a little less aero, I think people would buy them at that point.

x2

If you can make a wheel say, 90-95%(or something like that) as aero for that price, then I think a lot of people would be interested.

-Andrew
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd also consider the customer service portion of your business. This goes a long way in building a reputation. People want to know you stand behind your product and will help them out with problems, crash damage etc.
Quote Reply
Re: I think I'm going to start an aero wheel company. Am I crazy? [AMT04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The big thing in the wheel market is not the end user consumer - it is OEM accounts where you can make money. I have no idea how many dollars changed hands between Zipp and Felt with the B2 (404)...I am sure it was not a small number and a boon for each company. If someone can make a set of aero wheels at that price point their main focus on marketing by all rights should be on the mid/upper TT bike OE's.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: I think I'm going to start an aero wheel company. Am I crazy? [R10C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sure that's true, and I know there's a lot more to the triathlon market than individual consumers. But for a small start up company to get started, they'll probably need to target a specific niche for an entry point. It might take a while to get to the point where high end TT manufacturers want to include the wheel on their stock bikes.

I think there is a huge segment of triathlon consisting of BOP/MOP folks, people new to the sport, people without a lot of disposable income, or people who simply can't justify large sums of money for a wheel. A lot of these people would probably ride race wheels if they had them, but are priced out of it. If the OP can make it affordable for these folks to buy a pair of resonably priced wheels, then he's got his foot in the door.

-Andrew
Quote Reply
Re: I think I'm going to start an aero wheel company. Am I crazy? [saltman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The aero/carbon Token wheels I've seen aren't $550 for a set...
Quote Reply
Re: I think I'm going to start an aero wheel company. Am I crazy? [btmoney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have seen PX and others at that price point - and more and more we are seeing carbon as OE wheels (at least carbon fairing style wheels) - certainly from the kind folks at ABG.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what innovation have you figured out that will allow you to compete with zipp and hed's toroidal patent?

In Reply To:
My twin brother and I are mechanical engineers. After getting into triathlon a few years ago I was blown away by how expensive race wheels were. I've always thought there must be a cheaper way to offer quality race wheels. For the last few months we have been putting together a business plan, designing wheels on paper, building a website etc.

We are confident that we can bring 60mm, 90mm and disc race wheels to market for $249 for a front wheel and 299 for a rear wheel. We also have plans to offer an "aero arsenal" that will allow athletes to by 3, 4, or 5 race wheels for a discounted price.

Tell me if you think there is a place in the market for these wheels before I spend some serious cash. For the record, the wheels's aero numbers will compete with the more expensive competitors.

Thanks and please be very honest.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: I think I'm going to start an aero wheel company. Am I crazy? [R10C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The big thing in the wheel market is not the end user consumer - it is OEM accounts where you can make money. I have no idea how many dollars changed hands between Zipp and Felt with the B2 (404)...I am sure it was not a small number and a boon for each company. If someone can make a set of aero wheels at that price point their main focus on marketing by all rights should be on the mid/upper TT bike OE's.

Bingo! We think alike. I feel if Felt for example could offer a 60/90 combo on their entry/mid level TT/Tri bikes they would have a bit of an advantage over their competitors. There are also other ways to get our product into the public eye. But I can't tell you all of our secrets.

We are ready to build our first prototypes. But we are getting some public opinions before we invest.

Thanks for the great input. Keep it coming.

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Clincher, carbon clincher, Tubular, alum braking surface? Which route are you planning on going? carbon clinchers seem to be the sexy option now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't under-estimate the power, nor the cost of, marketing. Your business model may show sustainable profitabilty on low price point and margins, but it costs alot to get the visibility and appeal that the bigger players have. Look at this year's Kona wheel count, where Zipp was 8.5 times greater than the number 2 aero wheel. Advertising, sponsorships, promos, p/r wheels, etc, all add up really fast. There's a reason why Nike shoes are $180 a pair, and it isn't the cost of production...

Interesting though, it sounds like you're on to something. I like the colour option part...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the patent ended a few months ago, they might as well just copy it

Regardless this isn't going to happen. I don't see how you can beat the price direct from taiwan with old open molds that didn't require fatigue or aero testing.

Ride Scoozy Electric Bicycles
http://www.RideScoozy.com
Quote Reply
Re: I think I'm going to start an aero wheel company. Am I crazy? [msuguy512] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I see how it could happen

copy the hed jet but use a normal plastic instead of carbon fiber

In Reply To:
the patent ended a few months ago, they might as well just copy it

Regardless this isn't going to happen. I don't see how you can beat the price direct from taiwan with old open molds that didn't require fatigue or aero testing.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep, you and your evil twin are both crazy. Good luck, though. And put me on the mailing list...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it all comes together like you say it will, then I'd definitely buy a set.
Quote Reply

Prev Next