Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: I think I'm going to start an aero wheel company. Am I crazy? [gbot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
If it all comes together like you say it will, then I'd definitely buy a set.

I'd second that.

I have been training on my rear training wheel and recently trashed it. I started looking for a new wheel and I gotta say, it seems like $750 is the minimum you gotta spend to get a decent rear wheel.
Quote Reply
Re: I think I'm going to start an aero wheel company. Am I crazy? [Canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd love to see competitive wheels (and by competitive, I mean fast) at really good prices. I'm a race wheel whore. There for a bit I reduced my arsenal to 2 but it's creeping back up. Never seeing it getting up to the 10-12 that I had at one point, but I'd definately look at getting a 60 & 90 or deeper front + a 90 & disc on the back if it was competitive.

btw i'm in the market for a new front wheel.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: I think I'm going to start an aero wheel company. Am I crazy? [Canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At that price, I would get them for looks alone. Any aero benefit would be a bonus.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ideas like these are always welcome! Count on this brazilian partner to develop the market down here if you need!
Cheers, MAA

http://www.marcosapenedoamaral.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: I think I'm going to start an aero wheel company. Am I crazy? [Runless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I started looking for a new wheel and I gotta say, it seems like $750 is the minimum you gotta spend to get a decent rear wheel.

WTF?

Here is a Mavic Open Pro built onto a Dura-Ace hub for $330, can't find a much better training wheel.

http://www.performancebike.com/...400038_400002_400222

If you want something flashy here is a Mavic Ksyrium for $340

http://www.performancebike.com/...77_-1_20000__1503500

Or even fancier, a Ksyrium SL for $530

http://www.performancebike.com/...47_-1_20000__1503500

And that's trying to spend money. I got a set of Fulcrum Racing 5s for my bike for around $350 for the set I think it was.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Re: I think I'm going to start an aero wheel company. Am I crazy? [SwBkRn44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Or those prices US or CDN?
Quote Reply
Re: I think I'm going to start an aero wheel company. Am I crazy? [SwBkRn44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
perhaps he meant race wheel?
Quote Reply
Re: I think I'm going to start an aero wheel company. Am I crazy? [IanH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
US Prices. We live in Vegas. We plan on having prototypes in 4-6 weeks. We are going to have some pro riders test them out, get feedback and adjust.

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would be interested. Guess you can do a toridial shape with a blood chanel in the center like on a knife think it is called a "fuller" or something like that. Play up the "blood channel" really big and make it sound so cool... You can try some crazy marketing scheme by saying @ SO N SO yaw angle with a steady 5 mph wind our wheel with the "Blood channel" and a 180lb age grouper on top is 4 seconds faster over a 40k course then other toridial shape wheels at that same distance. Throw in some other PT #'s and useless data and BAM !!! Oh yeah make them look cool also. Anyway yes I would be interested.

Quote | Reply
So overall, from the testing youll be doing shortly until release, what is the timeframe you are anticipating in order to get these on the market?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is definitely a market if you can hit that price point and still be viable.

To be desirable in the marketplace the wheels need to be reasonably light (not super light...but not heavy...despite the fact that weight matters little in time trialing people still won't buy heavy stuff). They need to be constructed of quality materials for durability. The quality of the hubs need to be such that speed isn't being given away.

With a hub's rolling resistance and the wheel's aerodynamics, you can get 90% of the performance of big dollar wheelsets at 20% of the cost. There's a REAL BIG bleeding edge at the upper levels of bling on wheels.

And yes, you will need to test your wheels in a wind tunnel to quantify that they are 90% as good as the state of the art, but you can get wind tunnel time at a price that's easily achievable on a corporate budget.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Any chance that the production can be done in US/Can/Mex where there might be a little responsibility for the pollution of manufacture, and jobs added? That would add value.
Last edited by: dave_w: Jan 14, 10 13:54
Quote Reply
Re: I think I'm going to start an aero wheel company. Am I crazy? [IMagine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
So overall, from the testing youll be doing shortly until release, what is the timeframe you are anticipating in order to get these on the market?

It's a little early to put a date on it yet. We will defintely keep everyone posted on our progress and hopefully have some prototype pictures up soon.

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most definetely a market. Let me know if you need any Canadian's to test them! :>> Love the colour idea.

NCCP certified Comp coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like a good idea to me ... I can't wait to see what you come up with.
When you guys are ready for professional photography, keep us in mind.

View our sports photography here:
http://www.salazarphotography.com/commercial_sports.php

TriRig.com
The Triathlon Gear Guide
Last edited by: JudgeNick: Jan 14, 10 14:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If there is a way to do it, and they are close to as aero I'd buy a pair tomorrow.

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you said you've been building a website. what's the web address going to be and when will that be up?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck, and if you need a fellow CDN to give a cold weather test (in case of any relevance) I'd be happy to help, otherwise I would buy a set of 60mm because I like the cut of your jib.

Are you making clinchers? If so then I am in. I thought you were up to something when you were asking about racing wheels and why people dont have them. Good luck and keep us posted.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Much safer to produce a $5k+ boutique wheel. I would seriously rethink your business plan. You and your brothers are engineers.....dangerous. Before you spend a dime.....find a business/marketing consultant and an accountant to do at least some rudimentary feasibility research.

Look at the threads that get the most attention around here and the products that are featured in them. They RARELY focus on the cheap stuff....... Zipp is the best because they say so and they are near the top end of the price scale. Their margins are better than yours so they can afford to play the aero/technology/marketing game.

This sport is 99% ego. No one will brag about racing <$300 wheels. We're American! Embrace it!
Quote Reply
Re: I think I'm going to start an aero wheel company. Am I crazy? [acefaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Are you making clinchers? If so then I am in. I thought you were up to something when you were asking about racing wheels and why people dont have them. Good luck and keep us posted.

Yes they will be clinchers.

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Re: I think I'm going to start an aero wheel company. Am I crazy? [rain man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Still a little early to tell. We will keep you posted

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Yeah, I think there is a niche to be filled. It would fall between the generic Asian wheels and the Zipps/Heds.

Even if the wheels were a little heavier, and a little less aero, I think people would buy them at that point, certainly over a generic 5-times-rebranded Asian wheel.

x2

-------
http://www.y-rocket.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The one thing I am dying to see someone build is a wide rim (23mm-ish, ala Hed C2) deep dish wheel with a narrow flange spacing hub (ala the Easton R4 TT hub) to take advantage of the improved ride quality of the wider rim and the improved aero properties of the narrow hub. Dan's article about empty space from sometime last fall made a great case for the narrow hub and Easton's explanation of the R4 TT seems pretty convincing to me. You build me a wheel with all three of those features (wide rim, deep section, narrow hub) and I will buy them in a heartbeat. They would not even have to be that cheap.

Prev Next