Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
I suck at running but the Nike Next% are the best shoes ever
Quote | Reply
Ok, so I’m 62 and need to have my knee replaced. I limit my run training to 3-4 months a year (but I walk as much as 250 miles/month (and climb big mountains) when I’m not running). I’ve been a Hoka guy since back in 2012 (fwiw, I’ve done 15 IM, and 3X Kona).

I’ve done a lot of testing between the Carbon X and the Next% and I’m definitely faster in the Nike’s (about 5-7 minutes at 13.1 mikes). But more importantly, my legs feel so much better with the Nike shoes. To me, the mitigation of leg stress is the secret sauce for these shoes.

Until something else comes along, they are the best race and training shoes ever....

And to be clear, I’m a big, slow runner....

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Re: I suck at running but the Nike Next% are the best shoes ever [rcmioga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Randy,
Love your prior postings about climbing with your son and your IM efforts. If one is a heavier runner - can they still work? Or do you need to be 140 pounds or less to get the benefit?
Thanks, John
Quote Reply
Re: I suck at running but the Nike Next% are the best shoes ever [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Try 4%. A friend of mine he is a good runner and he said upper material is better on 4% so don't bother with Next%.
Quote Reply
Re: I suck at running but the Nike Next% are the best shoes ever [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thats cool they work for you. I pronate in and after a 30 mins run in them was left with a ankle issue for 2 weeks. I cant handle the narrow heel with my flat feet and pronation. I really like them going fast but i dont run fast off the bike, and even at pace my ankle was unstable. Considering they were designed for an52kg elite runner clocking sub 3 min per km pace I am not surprised they are not for me.
Quote Reply
Re: I suck at running but the Nike Next% are the best shoes ever [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well I race IMs around 168 pounds (I’m 6’ 1”) but routinely train in high 170s to low 180s. As the post above notes, they aren’t stability shoes so if you overly pronate, they probably aren’t for you. While my run mechanics suck due to my knee, my feet are such that I can get away with a neutral shoe.

I personally think it’s the new mid sole material that is the difference maker. Just, way, way less stress on your legs with these shoes.

I like the 4% shoes as well but would disagree about their uppers having better material. I think the next% is a better shoe for triathlon. Doesn’t retain water like the older version, has a better and grippier outsole and feels even more cushy to me (not sure if that is true or not).

Plus, I love the pink color. I rocked pink glasses, pink aero calf sleeves and the pink next% at IMAZ....old guys normally don’t get compliments on their gear but I surely did there! Brought a smile to my face a bunch of times when I needed to smile!

Quote Reply
Re: I suck at running but the Nike Next% are the best shoes ever [rcmioga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm getting a pair for Christmas.

Hoping that they (along with a good training block) will be what finally helps me break 3:00 for a marathon.

Can't wait to try them out.

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Re: I suck at running but the Nike Next% are the best shoes ever [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"upper material is better on 4% so don't bother with Next%."
-------------------------------------------
I'd disagree on this. I LOVE the next % uppers. ALSO, *for me* the next % are MUCH more stable. I have had ankle issues for 25+ years and the next % are the first shoes that I do not need orthotics/inserts to appease my ankle.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: I suck at running but the Nike Next% are the best shoes ever [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
david wrote:
"upper material is better on 4% so don't bother with Next%."
-------------------------------------------
I'd disagree on this. I LOVE the next % uppers. ALSO, *for me* the next % are MUCH more stable. I have had ankle issues for 25+ years and the next % are the first shoes that I do not need orthotics/inserts to appease my ankle.

You don't want to be in a wet/ humid race with the Knit 4%! The Next% allows for liquid to mostly repel off the material. Less hot, less soak, no squish-squish with each step after water/ gatorade/ body fluids fall upon those $250 shoes!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Randy, I am just getting back to proper running after a 4 year hiatus (and sorry, the additional running is pushing up my aerobic points in the Big Kahuna, I did not mean to pull even recently).

In any case, during my rehab, the only way I could run was with the least padded shoes so that I could feel my feet (I had largely lost sensation and coordination due to disk/nerve issues in my spine). This meant treadmill shuffling or football field shuffling in vibrams on New Balance Minmus trail....both zero padding, so needless to say I was running very slow (for me). As sensation is coming back in my feet and I am running "close to normal" I can now run in more padded shoes which also means running faster which is truly a blessing.

I am going to be alternating between slower jogs in my hard NB Minimus trail and faster runs in some padded shoes. I am using some ON Cloudflow which is a nice balance between firm contact with the ground and padding. Can you share your view on the CarbonX. I am 7 years younger than you so I want to get the views of someone who has already lived my "next 7 years". I am doing the Dubai 70.3 in 6 weeks (so if you see a lot of volume, its cause I have a short vacation over Xmas from my startup and will do a big volume block), and I think I can get my run in reasonable shape to target a 1:45 or so which is OK in 55-59.
Quote Reply
Re: I suck at running but the Nike Next% are the best shoes ever [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
I was running very slow (for me)

haha - nicely executed backdoor brag. Chapeau!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Randy,
Thanks for posting this. Do you run in the Next% for all your runs? How many miles do you get out of them? I have been running in the Hoka Bondi since 2013 and love them but am keen to try the Next% but had heard they are just a racing shoe? But you say they are equal to the Hoka in comfort, durability and leg recovery?

Thanks,

Will
Quote Reply
Re: I suck at running but the Nike Next% are the best shoes ever [Hoffmeister] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hoffmeister wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
I was running very slow (for me)

haha - nicely executed backdoor brag. Chapeau!

Well there is nothing heroic about my current paces to brag about (it really is relative to what a person is able to do, not relative to anyone else)...right now my running is generally 1 - 1.5 min slower per km than when I was properly running and I can't use the excuse of being really heavy (I am at 145 lbs now, so 8 lbs over my previous running weight, but its still light, its not like I am a 200 lbs athlete).

In any case, I don't think there was any real need to take an uncalled for jab by you. Randy knows its been a long 5 year detour to get back to any real running. I am just glad to be running. If Randy''s experience with different types of cutting edge shoes can help me, that's why I came on this thread.

My run paces do not reflect my cardio (whether its in the water, on the rowing machine, or on bike....at those wattages and paces, the proportional running performance should be much higher), but its nowhere close to what I should be able to do, so its mainly mechanical with the nervous system limiting strength in one leg that hurts the ability to run well relative to the cardio available.

If appropriate shoes can help me access some of my cardio by not compressing the disc in my spine that causes leg weakness and spasms, then that's awesome. Then I can run fast again on hard surfaces. I am close to getting back to that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting. I’m also big - 6’4” and race around 170, always in Zoom XC flats. I think it is time to reconsider that, especially for 70.3. I wear a 15, and they actually make the Next% in that size!

Now to find a nice bank to rob...

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: I suck at running but the Nike Next% are the best shoes ever [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Okay relax - just a joke. I'm a minute off my fastest pace without any injuries.

Glad you're back running.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My A race is a 70.3 in Sept, but just signed up for a 26.2 in March and have my eye on these. I've been running in Nike Zoom Fly Flyknit and my last three races were in 4%s ... this is the proper next step going to the Next%. I was originally going to wait for the AlphaFlys, but from what I hear, the comfort level on the legs and body is unsurpassed in the Next% and I'd like to have a chill March 26.2 and these Next% would be a good part of it.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Dev—glad you’re back in the game after your crashes (the two I know about...IM Switzerland and the bus). I figured you’d run me down in the Big Kahuna as I am in post IMAZ chill out mode and really just exercising vs. training.

The Carbon X is a very good shoe, like any Hokas. I’ve historically run in the Clifton but they don’t make em any more. If it wasn’t for the next%, I’d probably just run in the carbon x. It’s a good value, well made and durable. I seemed to be a bit faster in them and then I tried the Nike’s and it was game over. Also, with the carbon x I didn’t notice that my legs felt any different post run. There may be benefit there but I don’t recall noticing (vs the Clifton).

In preparation for IMAZ I did several time trial 13.1 mile runs on a pathway near here (so same course). I was well rested for each and did first the Nike, then the Hoka, and then the Nike again. It was very obvious to me that the Nike was both faster and my legs felt better during the run and especially the next couple of days.

As for the next 7 years, I suspect they’ll be easier on you than on me, given my knee (and assuming you don’t crash any more ;)). I’m really slowing down quite a bit on the run although I’m holding up well on the bike and swim. The IM on 10/10/20 will be my last....will be fun as I will race it with my son...should be a good swan song.

Good luck in Dubai!

Quote Reply
Re: I suck at running but the Nike Next% are the best shoes ever [Tubs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m not sure I know the answer on durability. Because of my bad knee I really have to limit my actual running (I do a lot of Eliptigo, elliptic, and steep up hill trekking to get my HR up with run like stuff).

My running on the next% consisted of about 3-4 months where I started at just 15-20mpw and did about 6 weeks in the 25-30 range. I did most of this in the Nike’s (bought first pair in July and I did a couple of comparisons with the Carbon X). I also run a fair bit on the beach, at low tide, to protect my knee a bit, so that is less abrasive. I bought a second pair (pink) for my IM in November.

For me, there is no doubt they are more comfortable, faster, and noticeably better in terms of recovery.

My son also runs in them and has bought 3 pair I think. He runs 50+ mpw and also swears by them for speed and recovery. He also set PRs overall and on the run in them at IMAZ and at Indian Wells 70.3, just two weeks later. He took 35 minutes off his marathon run PR and 4-5 minutes off the 70.3 run.

My guess is you probably need to replace them after 300-400 miles or so, but am not certain as both of my pairs are still very functional. Maybe a strategy is to reserve the Nike’s for racing, long runs, and the occasional speed workouts. If they cost $150 I wouldn’t even think twice about going to them 100%, even if I was still able to handle 50+ mpw.

I recommend you try them. They seem radically better.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wait, you mentioned an IM on 10/10/20...back to Kona?

I may order some Hoka CarbonX for starters as I heard the Next and 4% can be a bit unstable. Then I will see how running progresses and if the Nike high end models help me.

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yep...strangely enough...if you are there we should meet up

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Randy, any idea about the Zoom Fly 3? From the Nike website it looks like a lot of similar features to the Next, but $100 cheaper. Did you try that one?

They market it also as a race shoe, which makes me think it could be similar in dimensions/ feel. I wonder if it would help folks get a feel for the Next while saving the Next for races only.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: I suck at running but the Nike Next% are the best shoes ever [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have not but bet some on here have

Quote Reply
Re: I suck at running but the Nike Next% are the best shoes ever [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:
Randy, any idea about the Zoom Fly 3? From the Nike website it looks like a lot of similar features to the Next, but $100 cheaper. Did you try that one?

They market it also as a race shoe, which makes me think it could be similar in dimensions/ feel. I wonder if it would help folks get a feel for the Next while saving the Next for races only.

I’m interested in this as well. The Zoom Fly Flyknits are my favorite. I still would like to run in the Zoom Fly 3 and Next% (and AlphaFly...)... Nike has made their shoe market so appealing to me in the past year. I’m hooked.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:

I have been running the Zoom 3 for all my training runs and used the Next for my last 2 races. I am only 45 days into the process with both, but I just missed my 5K PR on Thanksgiving and DESTROYED my marathon PR a week ago. Granted training has been going really well, but there is no doubt in my mind that these are game changers. And this coming from a loyal and longtime Mizuno runner.
Quote Reply
Re: I suck at running but the Nike Next% are the best shoes ever [Converge418] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for sharing - congrats on the times!

How would you compare the Next and Zoom Fly 3? Is it just a weight difference? Fit?

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:

What is the weight delta between Zoom Fly3 and Next?

If you get all the benefits minus a bit of weight, then it seems attractive for training and it sounds like it MAY exceed the performance of other brand racing shoes even at higher weight due to the carbon plate and geometry. I am also curious if they end up being a bit more stable than the Next due to foam type?
Quote Reply

Prev Next