Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I should be this cool . . .
Quote | Reply
 . . . Rudy Garcia Tolson, the kid (no longer) from cali who at 5, after numerous surgeries, asked for double amputation so that he could get prosthetics and get busy. I'm sure most have heard of him, but I saw this photo on PR's site and was shocked at how much older he looks.

Shizznit, he looks like a regular kid with some boss carbon legs! What gets me is looking at some older pictures when he was younger, and looks like a kid, compared to now.

Especially these two with Robin Williams, in comparison with the more recent one:

He is a boss swimmer, and has the body-type as a result. To me, the way he is standing there with PR and Robin Williams, the kid looks like the kick-ass swimmer he is. I get a little teary when I think about the mindset and outlook he must have to be where he is.

Anyway, just feeling a little introspective this morning, thinking about my 17mo old son at home as I ran to work, hoping that he'll be inspired and choose to be active and healthy and just do his best, whatever his limitations are. Then I saw that photo of Rudy with PR and had a momentary vision of what my boy Zeke will look like at 16. Ahhh, parenthood. I wouldn't trade it for the world.

T
Quote Reply
Re: I should be this cool . . . [SouthernTim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's always good to get a little perspective and to spend a moment being thankful for where you are and what you have.

thanks for posting that, it certainly makes you think. the kid is quite some inspiration.

J.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That kid kicks ass! I suck and he is awsome! i predict great things in his future. Great things.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you guys ever get the chance, you have to come out to San Diego for the Challenged Athletes Foundation (CAF) half iron distance event in November. That's where the first photo was taken. It's not so much a race as an event but it's just awsome. There was a little kid there this year that took part in a short kids race who was given his legs at the event last year. He was grinning from ear to ear and just running all over the place. It's just amazing to see everyone out there. It's such a fantastic, inspirational event.
Quote Reply
Re: I should be this cool . . . [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That sounds like an event that could use a large amount of volunteers from Slowtwitch. Take a trip to San Diego, do some training as a group, and then cap it off by volunteering at such an event. Sounds like a great trip to me!
Quote Reply
Re: I should be this cool . . . [briantryintri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is an awesome idea! I would definately be interested in hearing more about this. How can we make that happen?!

--------
"Texas is a state of mind. Texas is an obsession. Above all, Texas is a nation in every sense of the word" - John Steinbeck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's the website. The event is the San Diego Triathlon Challenge

http://www.challengedathletes.org/
Quote Reply
Re: I should be this cool . . . [lonestar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As an athletes who has both participated volunteered in this event numerous times, I can tell you my experiences of the SDTC. The organizers are top notch. The scene is top notch. The swag is top notch. I think my favorite moment was captured thru the lens of my mom's camera when she was visiting to watch me about 6 year ago. It shows, quite simply, a pair of crutches leaning against the rocks next to the ocean. It's not what is IN the picture that means so much- it's what's NOT in the picture and what's implied about the freedom the athlete enjoys.

R2DM

Relax2dmax

"Just remember there is only 2 letters difference between STUD and STUPID." Heard on the course of the 1998 Lost Boys Ultramarathon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Couldn't Rudy have retracted his legs a little so Robin didn't look SO short???

Oh, you mean he's NOT like Inspector Gadget.

(OK, stop it ... see my tongue, it's firmly planted in my cheek)

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've just recently started volunteering with the Challenged Athletes Foundation and the people there are fantastic, as is the cause.

I'd certainly get behind an event like Brian mentioned...

challengedathletes.org

http://www.churchofcycling.org
Quote Reply
Re: I should be this cool . . . [BallPrkRat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let's all try to stay in touch then and do it!!!
Quote Reply