Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
I saw President Bush in person yesterday...here are my thoughts:
Quote | Reply
Mr. Bush came to my little 'ole hometown yesterday. I live in Niles, Michigan and Mr. Bush started his two state bus tour here. He held a townhall meeting on my highschool gym floor. The same highschool where I spent 4 teenage angst years 20 years ago. It was very surreal. Anyway, as many problems as he's made for himself, I witnessed in person (about 15 feet away actually) why he will win. Because he has style and carries himself like a president. Say what you will about Iraq, health care, the economy etc etc...but he looks like a Vegas act next to John "cardboard cut-out" Kerry. Bush was genuine, kind, funny, empathetic and generally happy to be in our presence. There were about 1200 in attendance so it was a very small group. In fact he ran 15 minutes long. The Head of Secret Service said he only remembers one other time that Mr. Bush ran long and not nearly this long. And he had 2 more stops to make for the day. As was brought up on another thread, I think that the president will shine thru in any debate against Kerry.

Say what you will about Bush, but I don't think our country can afford to lose the momentum we are starting to gain. The economy is starting to roll and would take a giant step backwards with a new administration.

I know many people have issues with the President. I do to as well. But I think he is the best thing we got going for now. In any event, to be 15 feet from the most powerful man in the world for 75 minutes was truly a thrill I will never forget.

Doug in Michigan

Quote Reply
Re: I saw President Bush in person yesterday...here are my thoughts: [campbell53] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your post is exactly why I think Bush will win.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: I saw President Bush in person yesterday...here are my thoughts: [campbell53] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He may carry himself like a president, but I think he is seriously lacking in charisma. Not charm, but well worded, articulate charisma. The stuff that shows up in our TV or soundbite world. Maybe I am jaded (I am a Republican, btw) but I think your perception may most likely only occur and trump charisma in up-close environment?

I look forward to debates to compare Kerry and Bush on this topic.

Watch Journeys with George. it is a great documentary made during his Presidential campaign. Very non-partisan, and you can see his charm come out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That sounded like a really cool experience and you're probably right. I am no Bush fan, and certainly not a Kerry fan. I think the attitude of many, many Kerry voters can be summed up by the name of this website:

http://www.johnkerryisadouchebagbutimvotingforhimanyway.com/

Note that I do not necessarily agree with / condone the opinions expressed on the site, I just find the name hysterrical.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To support Bush in this day and age is to reveal a major character flaw or a mighty bad case of spite at all the "facts" of his many failures that have "conspired" against Bush and his cronies. Don't be a sucker for a well-orchestrated photo op. Silly fellow American, Bush is not for us.
Quote Reply
Re: I saw President Bush in person yesterday...here are my thoughts: [EphFord] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't get me wrong. Mr. Bush is certainly not the most polished speaker I have ever heard. With all of the educators in attendence, I'm quite sure he wasn't even the smartest person in the room. But maybe 10% of the people in this country care about "well worded, articulate charisma". The rest of the voting population wouldn't recognize it anyway. The fact is: he's likeable (for whatever reason). If Richard Nixon were the current president facing the very same issues...he wouldn't have a prayer.

Doug in Michigan

Quote Reply
Re: I saw President Bush in person yesterday...here are my thoughts: [Kerouac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
See campbell53. If you don't support Kerry you are an idoit. No way on earth you can think for yourself. You mindless moron. (sarcasm)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i seriously doubt the economy would suffer if bush isn't re-elected. economic cycles are much bigger/longer than any presidential term--i think of it as almost a geological time frame. i think president's get far too much blame/credit for when the economy tanks and when it starts going well and i don't think any economic stimulus packages passed by a president have any more than a marginal effect. bush is not some sort of economic genius with innovative or new ideas that would be totally undercut by someone else.

furthermore, as great as the economy is apparently going, the hiring rate isn't changing that much....

f/k/a mclamb6
Quote Reply
Re: I saw President Bush in person yesterday...here are my thoughts: [mclamb6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In general...the economy lags presidential cycles. The tanking of the economy is due to Mr. Clinton's presidency and Bush is taking the blame. Same with the terrorist issues. Mr. Clinton had several opportunities to send a Tomahawk their way, but was too busy cheating on his wife and getting a hummer in the back office.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]Don't get me wrong. Mr. Bush is certainly not the most polished speaker I have ever heard. With all of the educators in attendence, I'm quite sure he wasn't even the smartest person in the room. But maybe 10% of the people in this country care about "well worded, articulate charisma". The rest of the voting population wouldn't recognize it anyway. The fact is: he's likeable (for whatever reason). If Richard Nixon were the current president facing the very same issues...he wouldn't have a prayer.[/reply]

No, I didn't get you wrong.

I just haven't been paying enough attention to all of Bush's photo opps etc. to gather that people would picture him as an affable person. I figured it would take longer exposures (and a predisposition) to think that.
Quote Reply
I didn't really start the post to say why anyone should vote for him... [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
just why I think he will win and what it was like to be close to him for an extended period. Up until the event yesterday, all I had to go on were tv sound bites and State of the Union addresses. I was hoping that he wouldn't be an accident waiting to happen (like Quayle). And I was hoping that my small town neighbors wouldn't embarass themselves or our town with an outburst or some stupid question (in front of 50 cameras). None of the above happened. Bush handled himself very well as did the residents of Niles, MI. I read that he really enjoyed the stop. Even though it's obvious he has my vote there is no need to ridicule me for doing so. I'm not attempting to influence anyone here. Just trying to put my experience into words.

Doug in Michigan

Quote Reply
Re: I saw President Bush in person yesterday...here are my thoughts: [Brian286] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
totally....everything negative we are dealing with today is definitely clinton's fault. what i am really surprised is how he can get a pair of decent shoes to fit onto his cleft hooves, with him being the devil and all....

rolling back of the clean air act and other significant environmental legislation....must have been clinton.

huge budget deficit....undoubtedly clinton.

tax cuts for the wealthy....i'm not sure how, but it must have been billy boy.

f/k/a mclamb6
Quote Reply
Re: I saw President Bush in person yesterday...here are my thoughts: [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tibbs says:

"See campbell53. If you don't support Kerry you are an idoit. No way on earth you can think for yourself. You mindless moron."

Oh Tibbs. You are such a bad dog.

You know what I really meant.

Bad dog!
Quote Reply
Re: I saw President Bush in person yesterday...here are my thoughts: [mclamb6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"everything negative we are dealing with today is definitely clinton's fault."

You're right. That was inspiring. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: I saw President Bush in person yesterday...here are my thoughts: [Kerouac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
please tell me you have a better sense for sarcasm than you just displayed in your response...

f/k/a mclamb6
Quote Reply
Re: I didn't really start the post to say why anyone should vote for him... [campbell53] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I think he will win "

I'll gentleman's bet against the whole forum that he doesn't get re-elected. Any guy who rides a Serotta can't be all bad.
Quote Reply
Re: I saw President Bush in person yesterday...here are my thoughts: [Brian286] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brian286,

You sound like a well-educated person with a good head on your shoulders. It sounds like you've really done a lot of research into this matter. Keep up the good work and keep on sharing the knowledge you've acquired!
Quote Reply
Re: I didn't really start the post to say why anyone should vote for him... [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
any president who can run sub 7 minute miles is pretty cool in my book.
Quote Reply
Re: I didn't really start the post to say why anyone should vote for him... [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got a Serotta on it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We need a reprieve on the clean air and drilling in ANWAR..those Californians need electricity for their hot tubs and gas for those Hummers they use off road so much. And in order for them to afford all of those nice things they need a roll back on their taxes...Come on my man...get with it...
Quote Reply
Re: I didn't really start the post to say why anyone should vote for him... [Brian286] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brian286:

That whole 7 minute mile thing was based on a 5K he ran 12 years ago. I would hope someone who runs a fair amount could do that, and that's no major feat. Now I'm sure you've seen his longer distance times (10K, whoopeee) and they hover around 10 + minutes per mile, that's worse than Clinton. You got tricked by the hype machine again, silly fellow American.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am in 100% agreement with you on this campbell53.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: I didn't really start the post to say why anyone should vote for him... [Brian286] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
any president that can run sub 7'/mi and invades countries by lying to congress is pretty cool in my book. In fact, who cares what else he does, if he runs sub 7'/mi, hi is cool period.
Quote Reply
Re: I didn't really start the post to say why anyone should vote for him... [Fasttwitch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fasttwitch,

I couldn't have said it better.
Quote Reply
Re: I didn't really start the post to say why anyone should vote for him... [Fasttwitch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any president who goes through impeachment proceedings is not cool.

Have to give it to ole' Willy though...probably one of very few presidents who got a hummer in the West Wing by someone other than his wife and one of only two who have been through impeachment.

When he screws up...he goes all out!
Quote Reply

Prev Next