Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I need some help please.
Quote | Reply
I just ruptured my Achilles’ tendon but it is not a complete tear. I have two choices according to the doctor
1. Surgery, in a boot for at least 8 weeks and a lot of rehab, a total of about 6 months to heal
2. No surgery, boot with lifts up and then back down for at least 8 weeks and then rehab, a total of about 6 months to heal

There is a chance of another rupture without surgery but a small chance with surgery.

I’m 55, very active and don’t want to lose that opportunity. Have any of you had this and what course did you take?

Any help is appreciated.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Re: I need some help please. [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haven't had it, but I think if it were me, the timeline seems to be the same with or without surgery.

What is the Dr telling you regarding % of tear? How big is it. Is it more likely to be an issue if it isn't repaired?

I would be more concerned about the damage you do waiting for it to heal and somehow you don't get the healing you hoped for etc. I think I'd risk the surgery to have the greater chance of recovery in 6 months rather than the possibility it will heal properly.

I guess there is always the chance that you lose flexibility etc with a surgery, but that probably be the risk I'd take.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wanted to add, that sucks man. Sorry. Best of luck and hope you're happy with your choice.
Quote Reply
Re: I need some help please. [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As we get older, it’s harder for our bodies to recover from an invasive surgery. A tendon repair to a 20-something is a very different recovery than a 50-something. If there’s a non-surgical solution that gets you to the same place, I would take that route.
Quote Reply
Re: I need some help please. [Kay9Cop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Having had a full year a few years back in my early 40s, I opted for no surgery. The recovery time with surgery was only a few weeks quicker. The downside to surgery is the scar and potential issues, rubbing etc causing on going issues.

I would have thought with a partial tear it's a no trainer to not have surgery as the Achilles will heal itself.

I was in about for 10weeks,being able to start some rehab at 8 weeks out of the boot. You will likely loose a lot of calf muscle and strength. With consistent rehab, which in my case has become part of daily life still years on. It's no biggy just lots of different types of calf raises and mobility work.

I was back racing within 9 months competitively after a very careful run walk progression and swimming and biking a little more.

My vote would be let the body so it's own thing and not have surgery.

http://www.tri-monkey.co.uk
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been through this twice, once on each side, albeit at younger age (late twenties first time, early thirties second time). Both were partial tears as well. First one was treated with surgery, second one conservatively. For my n=1, conservative treatment yielded much better results in the end. I can still feel a rubbing sensation in the scar area on the side that was treated with surgery. It's not painful, but noticeable and sometimes becomes a little tender. The other side is perfectly like new.

Whatever you decide, best of luck and speedy recovery!
Last edited by: malte: Apr 14, 21 3:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheRef65 wrote:
I just ruptured my Achilles’ tendon but it is not a complete tear. I have two choices according to the doctor
1. Surgery, in a boot for at least 8 weeks and a lot of rehab, a total of about 6 months to heal
2. No surgery, boot with lifts up and then back down for at least 8 weeks and then rehab, a total of about 6 months to heal

There is a chance of another rupture without surgery but a small chance with surgery.

I’m 55, very active and don’t want to lose that opportunity. Have any of you had this and what course did you take?

Any help is appreciated.

How'd your rupture it?

Does very active routinely involve activities that highly stress the Achille's tendon?

I think the answer to those would matter to me if I was trying to decide.
Quote Reply
Re: I need some help please. [RLB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RLB wrote:
Having had a full year a few years back in my early 40s, I opted for no surgery. The recovery time with surgery was only a few weeks quicker. The downside to surgery is the scar and potential issues, rubbing etc causing on going issues.

I would have thought with a partial tear it's a no trainer to not have surgery as the Achilles will heal itself.

Doctor said it was about 85%. I agree if it were 50% or less but with not much remaining, I'm more concerned about recovery.

I was in about for 10weeks,being able to start some rehab at 8 weeks out of the boot. You will likely loose a lot of calf muscle and strength. With consistent rehab, which in my case has become part of daily life still years on. It's no biggy just lots of different types of calf raises and mobility work.

I was back racing within 9 months competitively after a very careful run walk progression and swimming and biking a little more.

My vote would be let the body so it's own thing and not have surgery.

_____
TEAM HD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My understanding is that recovery without surgery will be fine, the body is amazing. A return to activity is down to the rehab, being cautious not to do too much too soon and in my case it is now an integral part of my day to day training. A few years on after a complete rupture I'm training the same and as much as I want too. It's not holding me back.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RLB wrote:
My understanding is that recovery without surgery will be fine, the body is amazing. A return to activity is down to the rehab, being cautious not to do too much too soon and in my case it is now an integral part of my day to day training. A few years on after a complete rupture I'm training the same and as much as I want too. It's not holding me back.

Just curious, can you stand on your toes on the ruptured side?
Quote Reply
Re: I need some help please. [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
RLB wrote:

Just curious, can you stand on your toes on the ruptured side?

I would be curious about this as well.

_____
TEAM HD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, full range of motion. It's nots as strong as the non ruptured side, but is continually getting stronger and increasing in size. It's not stopping me from doing anything and have non concerns.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RLB wrote:
Yes, full range of motion. It's nots as strong as the non ruptured side, but is continually getting stronger and increasing in size. It's not stopping me from doing anything and have non concerns.

Were you immobilized with your foot pointing down? How long?

Sounds like you had a really good outcome, I'm not sure everyone is so fortunate. I would think it would depend on where the rupture was and where it scars down.
Quote Reply
Re: I need some help please. [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was in a boot for 10 weeks, with the foot dorsi flexed. At 8 weeks I could take the foot out for some movement and very light rehab.
I had a complete rupture / tear. It was completely unexpected, with no previous Achilles issues. I was very careful and diligent with rehab and returning to running. As previously stated the rehab, strengthening and mobility is an on going process, with continued progress and improvement.

Quote Reply