Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: I like big bottles.... and.... fuel science and stuff. [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! Adding subsection to OP.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: I like big bottles.... and.... fuel science and stuff. [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What are your thoughts on too much caffeine causing issues? If you are drinking nutrition with caffeine, eating gels/chews with caffeine, seems like you can pretty easily end up with 2+cups of coffee equivalent per hour which could lead to GI distress.

http://www.savagesentiments.blogspot.com/
http://www.tricoachmartin.com/
https://www.facebook.com/teameverymanjack
Quote Reply
Re: I like big bottles.... and.... fuel science and stuff. [beachedbeluga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
beachedbeluga wrote:
What are your thoughts on too much caffeine causing issues? If you are drinking nutrition with caffeine, eating gels/chews with caffeine, seems like you can pretty easily end up with 2+cups of coffee equivalent per hour which could lead to GI distress.
2+cups coffee ≥ 150-200mg caffeine, very roughly.

I don't know if I've ever seen someone accidentally consume more than 100mg/hr caffeine for the duration of a race longer than 5 hours. If they report it, they've always done it intentionally. Never seems to go under the radar, from what I've seen from new clients and reviewing their prior nutrition/hydration plans in detail.

I also haven't seen any reliable literature that supports the idea that caffeine could cause GI distress. Usually people report feeling bugged out of their mind before GI distress is the result of caffeine.

I'm among the highest caffeine consumers I know. I don't think I've ever caused GI distress with high doses of caffeine, and I haven't seen any reliable literature that supports the idea that it would happen. My wife and I have both used >1000mg over an ultra-endurance ride. No GI issues.

Anecdotally, most my clients come to me consuming too little caffeine and many of them express concern over their perception of their previous nutrition strategies' "high caffeine intakes." Virtually in all cases, I get a chuckle when they send me their plans and I get to tell them that they're on the low side of optimal once they lay it all out.

The tri population, especially at the MOP and BOP level, under-doses caffeine pretty much universally.

Most caffeine-containing gels and beverages are pretty low-caffeine. The ones that aren't low-caffeine tend to make it very clear that "this is a product with high caffeine" and usually include names like "jet fuel, double expresso, mocha."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: I like big bottles.... and.... fuel science and stuff. [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DrAlexHarrison wrote:
I don't know if I've ever seen someone accidentally consume more than 100mg/hr caffeine for the duration of a race longer than 5 hours. If they report it, they've always done it intentionally.

So here's a little trivium for ya :) Leon Chevalier accidentally took ~1000 mg in Ironman Mallorca 2021 (which he completed in 7:56), as revealed by Andy Blow to Mikael Eriksson in That Triathlon Show. You might find this episode interesting:

https://scientifictriathlon.com/tts346/

As far as podcasts go, I also want to say I found the interview you gave a couple of years ago to Ken Gunter on the Professional Athlete Podcast and I really enjoyed it, super interesting episode. I knew your wife had been a bobsledder (as well every other type of athlete imaginable) but I didn't realize you'd had quite a stint in that sport as well. (Link for those interested)

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Last edited by: kajet: Aug 2, 22 5:08
Quote Reply
Re: I like big bottles.... and.... fuel science and stuff. [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kajet wrote:
DrAlexHarrison wrote:
I don't know if I've ever seen someone accidentally consume more than 100mg/hr caffeine for the duration of a race longer than 5 hours. If they report it, they've always done it intentionally.

So here's a little trivium for ya :) Leon Chevalier accidentally took ~1000 mg in Ironman Mallorca 2021 (which he completed in 7:56), as revealed by Andy Blow to Mikael Eriksson in That Triathlon Show. You might find this episode interesting:

https://scientifictriathlon.com/tts346/

As far as podcasts go, I also want to say I found the interview you gave a couple of years ago to Ken Gunter on the Professional Athlete Podcast and I really enjoyed it, super interesting episode. I knew your wife had been a bobsledder (as well every other type of athlete imaginable) but I didn't realize you'd had quite a stint in that sport as well. (Link for those interested)

Very interesting. I bet it didn't hurt his performance! Did it? Want to give me the quickest of summaries?? I will listen but may not get to it timely enough for this convo.

Thanks for linking to that podcast I was on. Yep, bobsledding is the thing I am best at. Match sprinting (track cycling) might be the only thing on the planet I'm better suited for.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He won, and apparently didn’t feel any ill effects.
So, score one for caffeine:)

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Re: I like big bottles.... and.... fuel science and stuff. [r0wdiggity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Received the insulated Gatorade 30oz today. I don't have Arundel Mandible cages but do have other brands which are pretty secure (Wolf tooth and Lyne components). The bottle fits in those cages. The cages are strong enough to compress the bottle and hang onto it a bit. I'm not sure I'd trust it to stay in on a bumpy ride, or even a road ride with a few jarring cracks in the concrete. Seems a bit sketchy.

I have other less secure cages, and they aren't strong enough to really hug the bottle into place and so my answer is "bottle does not fit in cages" because the neck notch part of the cage essentially prevents it.

The stronger cages cause the bottle to form around the neck notch holder thingy of the cages. The weak ones do not, and they won't even really go in all the way.

This appears to be true for both the non-insulated Gatorade 32oz and the insulated Gatorade 30oz.

I am concerned also that because of the squeezing effect, and the lack of full-stop closure of the Gatorade nozzles, you'd end up losing some of the volume of fluid (squirting it out) upon first putting a full bottle into the cages.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How do you find the insulated bottles vs uninsulated. Been using 24oz uninsulated on my long rides, never realized they made larger bottles. Tend to find after a couple of hours everything gets very warm and the sports drink doesn't taste so good anymore.
Quote Reply
Re: I like big bottles.... and.... fuel science and stuff. [mattr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've never used an insulated bottle in training or racing before. I just put up with the warm fluid when it's hot, because I'd rather have more fluid.

That said, that might be foolish if better thermoregulation could be achieved by keeping cooler fluids onboard and reducing sweat fluid losses because I'm intaking cold beverages. I may have to order the Trek Voda to find out how feasible this is. I don't think I'd trust the Gatorade 30oz insulated bottle to stay in cages.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Found another thanks to user overratedcarbon over on the TrainerRoad forum.

Van Rysel FastFlow 950mL, on Decathlon.com. Purchased 2 for testing and will add to the upcoming video review.

Last edited by: DrAlexHarrison: Aug 3, 22 18:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DrAlexHarrison wrote:
Very good to know! Have you ever tried them in looser/cheaper cages? I've got a couple in the mail and will play with cage size & security. I'm curious what I'll find.

Sorry for the late reply, I've been away for a bit. This thread is gold on so many levels btw, thanks for your contributions.

I have not tried the bottles in other cages, however, for folks in Canada that have access to a Decathlon you can get the softflow 950ml bottles for 10 loonies. These bottles play quite nice with tight cages such as Xlab Gorilla in a BTS setup and exquisitely with Arundel Mandibules in a regular D&S tube setup. The valves are meh, but good enough (no sucking, just squeezing).

For my USA based friends you can't get the cheap softstuff, but decathlon.com has the fastflow botles, which looks like it's the exact same shape, in clear and with a better lid, but for twenty Washingtons.
Quote Reply
Re: I like big bottles.... and.... fuel science and stuff. [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I take a sawyer mini and a cnoc bladder (just rolled up) on my longer and remote rides, as there isn't always a civilised water supply to top up from.
Quote Reply
Re: I like big bottles.... and.... fuel science and stuff. [salty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
salty wrote:
I take a sawyer mini and a cnoc bladder (just rolled up) on my longer and remote rides, as there isn't always a civilised water supply to top up from.

Ah, I totally forgot to +1 on this from earlier in the thread. I use a befree + 2L hydrapak seeker. That's my hiking setup which I carried over to bikepacking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've now tested the Van Rysel... for being labeled "fastflow" it's incredibly not fast flowing. Hardest-to-squeeze bottle I've ever had my hands on. (linked up above in original post)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It looks like Specialized has a 32 oz bottle now:
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/team-bottle-32oz/p/244047?color=381940-244047&searchText=44623-3240

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have 1L/32oz Elite bottles that everyone seems to love, and I'm biased but I like them as well. You can't beat them on the BFCM sale right now as well:
https://www.precisionhydration.com/us/en/products/pfh-ergonomic-water-bottles/

When I first started using PF&H back in 2015 they sent me a 1L bottle and I had no idea why they would make such a thing. But like you, I found to really enjoy not having to stop, and living in the UK for 6 years and the cooler climate made it very viable to have 2-4L of fluid on the bike and barely need to stop on long rides.

The 1L Specialized bottles that the poster above posted are also really good, we used to have those before moving over to Elite.

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Re: I like big bottles.... and.... fuel science and stuff. [@BW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I just read this thread and spent $75 on water bottles
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The soma bottle is great. I don’t love the lid.

I have had good luck swapping with purist lids (threads are the same or close enough that they don’t leak).

I have the elite bottles as well, but prefer the soma. I believe they have more capacity and are seemingly lighter.
Quote Reply
Re: I like big bottles.... and.... fuel science and stuff. [SBRinSD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRinSD wrote:

I have had good luck swapping with purist lids (threads are the same or close enough that they don’t leak).

I have the elite bottles as well, but prefer the soma. I believe they have more capacity and are seemingly lighter.

Is the auto seal valve better than the push/pull?
Quote Reply
Re: I like big bottles.... and.... fuel science and stuff. [SpencerR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SpencerR wrote:
SBRinSD wrote:

Is the auto seal valve better than the push/pull?

Really I just find the soma caps to feel “cheap” they function fine. I am happier with other lids. I mention it just in case others feel the same.

I have the elite bottle and the cap appears to be proprietary. The elite bottles are heavier duty and the cap is substantial. I would swap on those if I could too, but cannot.

Maybe, I’m too particular :)
Quote Reply
Re: I like big bottles.... and.... fuel science and stuff. [@BW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@BW_Tri wrote:
We have 1L/32oz Elite bottles that everyone seems to love, and I'm biased but I like them as well. You can't beat them on the BFCM sale right now as well:
https://www.precisionhydration.com/us/en/products/pfh-ergonomic-water-bottles/

I just received 2 of these in the mail. Love the bottle design but my GOD these are the worst lids/spouts I've ever used. I almost need vice grips to open the spout. I'm terrified of using my perfectly healthy teeth on the seemingly high chance that the resistance of the spout will make me look like I'm from the backwoods of Georgia
Quote Reply
Re: I like big bottles.... and.... fuel science and stuff. [SpencerR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Spencer- Interesting, I haven't had any issues to date with the bottle caps. I've passed this along to our customer service team, and they'll be in touch. Let me know if you don't hear from them for some reason.

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
@BW_Tri wrote:
Hi Spencer- Interesting, I haven't had any issues to date with the bottle caps. I've passed this along to our customer service team, and they'll be in touch. Let me know if you don't hear from them for some reason.

Coming back to report in after using them for a 2 hour trainer session. So basically the initial opening of the cap when they arrived was difficult, like I need to reposition my fingers a couple times to get enough leverage to pop them open. Before the ride I open and closed both caps repeatedly, probably 25 times each, which did loosen them up a bit and make them much easier to open. Still not loose enough that I felt comfortable popping them open with my teeth.

Now after the ride and drinking out of them, the cap is much looser and feels "teeth friendly". So I apologize for being a bit overdramatic on that initial post, but I hadn't ever had a bottle cap defeat me like that. Maybe it was just an ego bruise.

Now with the lods broken in seemingly, I love the bottles. I was actually able to get 34 Oz in each bottle and it was plenty of hydration for a 2 hour Z2 ride on the trainer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This now exists. Trek Voda 34oz. I've ordered one to check it out and added to the OP. (No I still haven't done the bottle review video.)

Quote Reply
Re: I like big bottles.... and.... fuel science and stuff. [rrutis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rrutis wrote:
It looks like Specialized has a 32 oz bottle now:
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/team-bottle-32oz/p/244047?color=381940-244047&searchText=44623-3240

One problem I can see with those bottles is that there is no indentation for the bottle cage to hold on to.
Quote Reply

Prev Next