Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
I just got some Oomph! clothing samples...
Quote | Reply
Fletch Newland, a rep for Oomph! triathlon clothing, sent me their catalog and price list.

Initially, I thought, "Great, another triathlon clothing line......." It is tought for a compnay to really differentiate themselves in the very crowded and very small triathlon apparel market niche. With major players like DeSoto that already have proven products and outstanding customer service it is tough for a new player to even enter the market. If they even have aprayer of gaining a toe hold, there has to be something valid and tangible about it.

There is a lot valid and tangible about Oomph! triathlon clothing:
  • A multi-layer, quick dry stretch pad in a tri short. Is any other manufacturer doing a stretch pad in a tri short? As far as I am concerned there are two kinds of shorts: The kind with a stretch pad and the old kind. Until you have tried a stretch pad in bike shorts you can't understand the advantage (provided the shorts fit you correctly).
  • Oomph! makes a unique, ultra distance short that has a super cool race number belt built into the short. you don't have to wear anything around your waist, or remember to put anything on during the event. It is hard to explain how it works, but it is simple, foolproof and elegant. This short also has pockets for Gu flasks, which I realize is somthing new (DeSoto also has an excellent long distance short with this feature) but I have never seen a racing tri short with a number belt built in it! And it actually seems to work! (I haven't raced in it obviously- I just got the stuff today.)
  • They make a piece designed by ultra-distance guru Gordo Byrne, the "Gordo Brief". Basically, it is a modestly cut swim brief with a covered pocket in the back for good hydrodynamics that can be worn under a pair of padded tri shorts in a long race providing additional padding and friction reduction. Then, when you get to T2 on a hot day in a long race, you just peel the tri/bike shorts off from the bike ride and go Euro on the run in the Gordo Brief. It is cool. As a former "Speedo Racer" I love this design.
  • They make a full zip tri top with pockets and a tailored fit. Why full zip? Ever try to pull a tri to over your head when you are soaking wet?
  • The women's stuff is nice too, and I gave a few pieces to Sarah to try out. She'll use it for the first time in the real world in Curacao. I'll shoot some photos.

In short, the stuff has some unique and significant design features I haven't found in other clothing lines. Also, as I go through this stuff, it is all labelled "Made inthe U.S.A."

The designer has significant experience and formal training in apparel design: It shows. Color stories are nice- stuff I think people will actually wear and buy.

The fabric seems like stretch microfiber: A veery fine, dense weave, like very high thread count sheets but, of course, technical in nature and very stretchy.

Sizes are realstic. I actually got on a Men's Ali'i Tri Top in a "Small", and that is unusual. I don't think peope like bike clothing lines that run too small. this stuff seems to be eithe spot-on or, better yet, a trifle generous but still nicely tailored. You don't have to be a top pro to look good in it.

These guys are cottage industry all the way: The company is small, the stuff is hand made for the most part, all of it here in the U.S.

We bought some on the strength of the amples and the design ideas. Delivery is sometime in very early Spring time. For you guys who own or run a tri shop, give Feltch Newland a call: (206) 963-5092. He is the rep. I think you will be pleased to carry the stuff and I think your customers will like it.

www.oomphsports.com

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Post deleted by ShawnF [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: ShawnF: Dec 14, 05 21:12
Re: I just got some Oomph! clothing samples... [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom--My post here is off-thread--sorry--but would you take a look at the Powertap Wire post and tell us how you do a clean installation?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom,

The Lava shorts are over $100 but they have got to be the coolest bar none. Velcro tabs for your race number sewn into the front, custom pockets for gel flasks and loops for single serving gels. Super comfy pad and they do dry instantly. They are at the top of my wish list this holiday season.

Dave Stark
dreamcatcher@astound.net
USAC & USAT level 2 certified coach
Quote Reply
Re: I just got some Oomph! clothing samples... [Monk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dude, you just mentioned one of a number of reasons why i don't spend much time working on the current generation of Power Meters- none of them is ready for consumer use yet. They all have significant enough issues that they aren't yet truly suitable for mainstream consumer use. Specifically: I don't know of any effective, affordable (sub $800) power measuring unit simple enough to use and install that is trouble-free enough so that I can hand it to a customer, take their cash and say, "There you go- you're all set. You won't have any problems..."

When that product does become available, it will be huge and I will sell a lot of them. I was half expecting it to come out of Interbike this year- but it never happened.

Anyway.... Did I tell you about this cool tri clothing I got today?

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: I just got some Oomph! clothing samples... [ShawnF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't ridden even one pedal stroke in them yet. but I will keep that in maind. Thank you for mentioning it. The shorts I am looking at here have some flat-lock stitching around the pad. I'll give it a try. Thanks for the heads up.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
they have clas bjorling racing for them. he's one of my favourites!

------------------------------------------------------------------
"The aspect of sport that you learn is that you have your good times and your bad times, but you share it with great people." - George Gregan

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom -- looks like about 80% of everything on their site is sold out. Can't even get any details on the items.

But thanks for the review. I'll be looking for this stuff in the near future.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Re: I just got some Oomph! clothing samples... [brider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly. they will have increased inventory levels in spring. But dealers who want to come on line need to contact Fletch Newland now if they want the stuff on hand during the key selling season.

The stuff is basically hand made, and they are a relatively small operation compared to a Pearl Izumi sized operation.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a pair of the Kilauea Compression Shorts. Done a half and full Ironman, one Oly and several long runs (20+ miles) in them. I've also wore them for several 100+ bike rides. I like the cut, fit and overall performance of the shorts.

Regarding the velcro race number tabs, I find them not useful. It may be my stride, run style, what ever, but using them means that the number is so low that my legs hit the bottom of the number on each stride. Not something that I need during a race.

The side pockets for gel flasks, again maybe how I run, I find that gel flasks go flying within a couple of steps. I end up using the back center pocket for a gel flask. That works pretty good, works well for holding a cell phone too.

Looking back, I'd buy the Lava shorts over the Kilaueas. My wife has a pair and loves them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice stuff, the seam never bothered me but I just tried on the samples for a short while when we first brought it in. It's also cool as they have some fun prints and nice colors. The Kilauea shorts are kinda funky when you run as fabric makes a velcro sound as your legs go back and forth. The best freedom of motion I've ever felt in a tri short after you get over that weird noise.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They do have some nice stuff, and great customer service. I raced in their one piece at a half last fall, and it was the most comfortable one piece I've ever used. I used their Lava short at Ironman Florida on the bike, but not on the run. I ran a 20 mile training run in them, and despite the seemingly heavier pad, there wasn't any "bunching" problem and were quite comfortable. However, there was a very annoying "swish, swish" with each stride coming from my thighs rubbing. I do have narrow hips, so that probably only made the problem worse, but I'm not particularly heavy at 170lbs and 6'1". I contacted them, and they said they were aware of the issue, and were addressing it. Once it's taken care of, I intend to purchase a Kilauea short for next season. Good stuff.

I wanna go fast!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There tri short is great to run in but, if not fitted to your body right, can leave a nasty rub on your boys.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There office in Vancouver Wa, is just down the street from where I work. I'll have to walk by there one of these days. I like to support local business. This might be a good way to do that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've raced this entire year in the lava compression short and the Ali'i half zip from sprint to Ironman distance. These are my favorite shorts for all distances. As for chafing, none. I'm a heavy sweater and my last race was IronStar in Conroe, Tx, not exactly during a cold front. It's amazing that you can have enough padding for a comfortable 112 mile ride and still have plenty of room and movement to comfortably run. Obviously, I'm a huge fan.

Mark
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We got and it is on sale!

Oomph! Men's Kilauea Compression Short [/url] SKU: 150-25409

Kilauea Compression Short
Style#: 25409
  • Oomph! 3 piece Distance Pad featuring NAC Technology©.
  • 8.5” Inseam.
  • Features ultimate 7.5oz compression panels on quads and hamstrings to prolong onset of muscle fatigue.
  • Twelve-panel, ergonomic Speedfit Seam Construction provides ultimate ergo-fit.
  • Sublimated gripper elastic legs for comfortable, secure fit.
  • Outer rear pocket, two 'flask' side pockets and 3 elasticized single serving gel holders.
  • Features velcro number race belt system which moves back-to-front for racing.

Price: $125.00

25% off all apparel

www.trizilla.com

http://www.trizilla.com

And by the way. They're real, and they're spectacular!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have their simple tri top (no zip). It's great for training. Needs a zipper for racing, and for whatever reason, the zipper didn't fit me well.

Very good stuff, and GREAT people to deal with.

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Re: I just got some Oomph! clothing samples... [140.6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well-timed, and here we were all thinking no more Oomph til '06. Just made an addition to the wish list. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Tom.

Thanks for the post.. And to everyone else, we appreciate the good (and bad) feedback as it helps us improve. We have actually made some improvements for 2006 based on the comments posted above..

Tai - we solved the noise problem. We actually cut our fabric a certain way to take advantage of compression in certain areas. We've gone back to a traditional cut in the pad area and voila -- no noise.

Magic - the Fuel Belt pockets were a tad big where the tip goes in the bigger sizes. We had some feedback on that and again, have changed the cut for 2006 to make that hole smaller. No problem.

I guess that is the nice thing about being smaller. We listen to the people that wear our gear and make good changes based on their feedback. That is why some of our pieces, the ones that are really really good, have evolved over 5-6 years. We listen, do the research and make changes.

Shawn F - mate, I honestly am perplexed about the seam thing. Maybe it was a sizing issue, I'm not sure. But one complaint we never get, ok rarely, is chafing. Honestly. We have people ride 150+ miles in our shorts with no lube or chamois cream.. And no chafing.. I'd like to get you some more samples to test even if it is just to try again. Maybe the sizing was a bit big?!?

As far as the web goes... We try not to sell on top of dealers. Which means, they get the product first and then we open it on the web. We don't make winter clothing yet, so right now is production time for 2006. The reality is that we sold out and now we have to move onto 2006. I can tell you that it is worth the wait. Our 2006 line is unreal.

Thanks all,

Chris at oomphsports dot com
Quote Reply
Re: I just got some Oomph! clothing samples... [Chris.A] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you want product now, I've had good success with calling the stores listed in the Brick and Mortar section of the website. They've all been extremely helpful and willing to ship to some nobody in Texas. Kudos to the stores you're doing business with.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chris,

I'm not sure what is was either. I know we exchanged a couple of emails about it right after the race. I wish I could wear it because the fit and the distance pad (other than the seams) were fantastic. I'm still wearing the half-zip and tank to race in, and I absolutely love them. I am certainly in the minority, and was only asking Tom out of curiosity. Keep up the good work, 'cause you guys are making great products.

Shawn
TORRE Consulting Services, LLC
http://www.TORREcs.com

Quote Reply
Re: I just got some Oomph! clothing samples... [ShawnF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean,

I appreciate the honesty amigo. I think we may have a solution for you - it is called the Vigor Short. It's new for 2006. It is all compression, but the pad is smaller -- well, at least shaped a little differently. I am going to send you a sample when they get shipped. Would you be willing to give them a shot?

Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well I'm also a satified OOMPH customer. Got my first set at Wildflower. My only criticism is with the pocket on the back. It seems like a really good idea except that I tend to lie on my back to rest or stretch before races and that seems to pop any gel I have there. I know, I know, take the gel out, moran. Somehow I keep forgetting. Otherwise great stuff. I do hope you still make internet sales available. I appreciate supporting the local dealers but when there are none I'd hate to get shut out.

Pat
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This all just motivated me to order some Lava Shorts. You know what else I love? Paypal payment. Sweet. Makes all purchases wife-proof, as my account is kind of self-sustaining from selling bike stuff on eBay that I didn't like, etc.

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Big Oomph fan here [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trained and raced in Oomph gear all last year and absolutely loved it. Really love the look and feel of the Lava short, and I get a ton of questions and compliments on them at races. The pad is by far the most comfortable I've ever used and I actually the lava shorts instead of some much higher priced cycling shorts I had bought for my long rides.

Was funny that Tai mentioned the noise. I really only noticed it on the distance shorts, but I did feel a bit like George in that Seinfeld episode with the 'swooshing' pants.

Definately looking forward to the 2006 line. You guys really put out a great product Chris.

Mark

Fit2Tri Multisport
http://www.fit2tri.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next