Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Post deleted by Triingtotrain
Last edited by: Triingtotrain: Nov 9, 22 6:40
Re: I have a tri bike but might fly to race with old tri bike [Triingtotrain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What about Tri bike transport? Are they working this race? Then you could just leave your race bike alone, and pick it up how you dropped it off.

And even if you have to send it early, like you said, you have a nice back up bike to ride up until you leave..
Quote Reply
Re: I have a tri bike but might fly to race with old tri bike [Triingtotrain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Reading this it seems like you would prefer to use the old bike and want permission...so, I, random person on the internet, give you permission to take the old bike ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
New bike. Answer is always new bike.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triingtotrain wrote:

I am on the fence and might take my old BMC Time Machine......

I would probably only loose maybe a couple minutes by not racing with new QR so it's not that big of a deal.

A TM01 (and a TM02) are pretty good bikes........ask Rohan Dennis :-)
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Triingtotrain [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triingtotrain wrote:
marcag wrote:
Triingtotrain wrote:

I am on the fence and might take my old BMC Time Machine......

I would probably only loose maybe a couple minutes by not racing with new QR so it's not that big of a deal.

A TM01 (and a TM02) are pretty good bikes........ask Rohan Dennis :-)

My TM01 is a 2012, mechanical shifting and rim brakes. Hodge podge of upgrades but need a few more. Flo race wheels. It has served me well. It's an amazing frame. But the new bike rides so much smoother. And I do love electronic shifting :-)

I had a 2012 TM01, loved it. I do think they improved in 16 (17?).

DI2 is fun.....but it won't make you faster

A 2012 TM01 with Flo wheels, IMO, is not going to be much (if any) slower.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triingtotrain wrote:

And the funny thing with the new bikes, they are heavier with the disc brakes!!

My neck screams on the BMC even after 3 professional bike fits

My abductors don't seem to like the new QR but my neck is much better on it.

But the issue is taking apart the QR and getting safely to the race via plane.

For the neck and quads, that is probably based on where the saddle, pads and pedals are relative to each other. I am sure they can figure that one out and get you to the best of both worlds.

As a person that is mechanically challenged, I hate the idea of travelling with disc brakes.

Funny story about a well known ST member on this forum with that new bike. He did some aero testing and was getting pretty consistent numbers. Final test of the day was supposed to be with a disc wheel. Boom, 5 watts slower. That can't be. Do it again. Boom, 5 watts slower. Everyone looks at each other in disbelief. Spin the wheel, there was a pretty minor rub, probably worst when you add the weight and swaying of the rider. Back to the mechanics. To me, that is the wonderful world of disc brakes. I will duck now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don‘t know what an abductor is but can‘t you set your new bike to the same geometry as the old one?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why did you get a new bike?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triingtotrain wrote:
Was talking to my coach about this and said I might throw it out to STers and see what other folks might do.

I received my new QR X-PR tri bike with new race wheels, electronic shifting, disc brakes in September and raced on it w/o breaking it in or getting my body used to the new bike and had major issues with abductors 30 miles into the bike portion of a 70.3. Still finished (and even made the podium in my AG). Been riding this bike on the trainer since and still have some minor issues with abductors when I hit higher watts. I did have a professional bike fit and it was looked at again after the race. But this is not the main reason I want to fly from the east coast to the west coast with my old bike to do another 70.3 this year. I am on the fence and might take my old BMC Time Machine in my BikeBox Alan which has served me well when flying to a bunch of races across the country and overseas before the pandemic.

• I'm not trying to qualify for Finland anymore as I have different goals and priorities for 2023. So I'm not worried about a slower bike.
  • My husband can take apart my BMC easily and it's familiar. Never had issues flying with the BMC in the BikeBox Allen and putting bike back together
  • I would probably only loose maybe a couple minutes by not racing with new QR so it's not that big of a deal.
  • Peace of mind leaving my new bike safely home
  • My 70.3 and full IM next year are drivable so wouldn't have to worry about flying with QR for a long time - cross that bridge when I get there

Anyone think I should take the new QR? How bad is it to take apart and pack in the bike box? My husband is pretty good mechanically, but this would be the first bike with electronic shifting and disc brakes we would attempt to fly with and take apart. I'm not sold yet on buying a soft case where we don't have to take apart the headset.

Thoughts? What would STers do?

Um. Bike Box Alan Triathlon Aero Easy Fit https://bikeboxalan.com/...yfit/?v=7516fd43adaa, a hard case and you don't have to take apart the headset. Just take off the pedals, wheels and lay it in the box.
Last edited by: Upstaterun: Nov 8, 22 11:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Please don't take this personally, but . . .

You have a coach who said "throw it out to ST"??!! I think you need a new coach.

You have a professional fitter but have issues on both bikes??!! I think you need a new fitter.

To answer your Q, if you have a BBA, then packing is easy. Take the best bike. We all like to go fast, so take the fast bike.

Best wishes,

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: I have a tri bike but might fly to race with old tri bike [Upstaterun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Upstaterun wrote:
Triingtotrain wrote:
Was talking to my coach about this and said I might throw it out to STers and see what other folks might do.

I received my new QR X-PR tri bike with new race wheels, electronic shifting, disc brakes in September and raced on it w/o breaking it in or getting my body used to the new bike and had major issues with abductors 30 miles into the bike portion of a 70.3. Still finished (and even made the podium in my AG). Been riding this bike on the trainer since and still have some minor issues with abductors when I hit higher watts. I did have a professional bike fit and it was looked at again after the race. But this is not the main reason I want to fly from the east coast to the west coast with my old bike to do another 70.3 this year. I am on the fence and might take my old BMC Time Machine in my BikeBox Alan which has served me well when flying to a bunch of races across the country and overseas before the pandemic.

• I'm not trying to qualify for Finland anymore as I have different goals and priorities for 2023. So I'm not worried about a slower bike.
  • My husband can take apart my BMC easily and it's familiar. Never had issues flying with the BMC in the BikeBox Allen and putting bike back together
  • I would probably only loose maybe a couple minutes by not racing with new QR so it's not that big of a deal.
  • Peace of mind leaving my new bike safely home
  • My 70.3 and full IM next year are drivable so wouldn't have to worry about flying with QR for a long time - cross that bridge when I get there

Anyone think I should take the new QR? How bad is it to take apart and pack in the bike box? My husband is pretty good mechanically, but this would be the first bike with electronic shifting and disc brakes we would attempt to fly with and take apart. I'm not sold yet on buying a soft case where we don't have to take apart the headset.

Thoughts? What would STers do?

Um. Bike Box Alan Triathlon Aero Easy Fit https://bikeboxalan.com/...yfit/?v=7516fd43adaa, you don't have to take apart the headset. Just take off the pedals, wheels and lay it in the box.

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Last edited by: Triingtotrain: Nov 9, 22 6:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Right. Bike Box Alan has a bigger box than that one, and you don't need to take off the handlebars at all. It's the Triathlon Aero Easy Fit. https://bikeboxalan.com/?v=3e8d115eb4b3 It's great. Just take off the pedals and wheels and lay it in the box. Nothing else mechanical needed to do. Works great with integrated setups and DI2. Nothing to unplug or undo at all.
Last edited by: Upstaterun: Nov 8, 22 11:33
Quote Reply
Re: I have a tri bike but might fly to race with old tri bike [Upstaterun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Upstaterun wrote:
Right. Bike Box Alan has a bigger box than that one, and you don't need to take off the handlebars at all. It's the Triathlon Aero Easy Fit. https://bikeboxalan.com/?v=3e8d115eb4b3 It's great. Just take off the pedals and wheels and lay it in the box. Nothing else mechanical needed to do. Works great with integrated setups and DI2. Nothing to unplug or undo at all.

I'm just learning this now. I purchased mine in 2016 so maybe need to upgrade to the Easy Fit. I don't recall that option back then. But with my race coming up in December, I might just take the old bike and suck it up for now. Good to know about the Easy Fit!!! That might solve my concerns for the future

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It appears from the photo that your bike is rather small in size . . . That is perfect for the BBA Easy Fit. You won't regret getting that so you can take your fastest bike!

David
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: I have a tri bike but might fly to race with old tri bike [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
david wrote:
Please don't take this personally, but . . .

You have a coach who said "throw it out to ST"??!! I think you need a new coach.

You have a professional fitter but have issues on both bikes??!! I think you need a new fitter.

To answer your Q, if you have a BBA, then packing is easy. Take the best bike. We all like to go fast, so take the fast bike.

Best wishes,

No you misunderstand me. I was telling her I was going to see what STers think. She's a great coach, probably the best I've ever had. We were talking about the issues of packing my new bike before I just learned Bike Box Allen does have a new case where I don't have to take off the handlebars. We both thought the only way we could do this was using a soft case.

The bike fitter is good. I am older and my body has issues. I love my off-road and cross/gravel bikes. So comfy on those. Just can't get comfortable on an aero bike after several fits with different fitters. It might be almost impossible to get things 100% right for my old beat up body, but the new bike is better than the old in regards to comfort.

Quote Reply
Re: I have a tri bike but might fly to race with old tri bike [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
david wrote:
It appears from the photo that your bike is rather small in size . . . That is perfect for the BBA Easy Fit. You won't regret getting that so you can take your fastest bike!

I guess if I had known about the Easy Fit, I could have avoided this thread :-)

But maybe someone else out there will benefit.

And BBA sales will go up too :-)

Now wondering if I can get the new Easy Fit in less than 4 weeks.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry wasn't trying to be facetious.
It's just I am always suspicious of "expert" advice about getting a new bike.

Should you take your bike to the race?
Assuming you are comfortable and have solved your fit problems, it's the only answer.
That's assuming you bought a new bike to go faster, which is way more fun then going slow and the only reason we all do this silly sport.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triingtotrain wrote:
david wrote:

I guess if I had known about the Easy Fit, I could have avoided this thread :-)

But maybe someone else out there will benefit.

And BBA sales will go up too :-)

Now wondering if I can get the new Easy Fit in less than 4 weeks.

Bike Box Alan has great customer service. When you order, you indicate on an online calendar when you need the box. Just give yourself a cushion of a week or 10 days to be sure it comes. If you are racing on a rear disc wheel (not disc brake but disc wheel), go ahead and order the disc wheel pole with it. If it doesn't come in time, use your older bike, but you will be set to go for future races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Now wondering if I can get the new Easy Fit in less than 4 weeks."
--------------------------------------
Probably. Email Wendy at BikeBox Alan - bikeboxalan@gmail.com She is great and helped me get my Easy Fit fast (faster than 4 weeks).

David
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would talk to a with a bike shop where the race is and tell them your issue and if they can help if needed. Preferably one that is a sponsor of the race you are doing

Take the new bike

If husband can put it together all good

If you need a bike shops help they are there for you
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
david wrote:
"Now wondering if I can get the new Easy Fit in less than 4 weeks."
--------------------------------------
Probably. Email Wendy at BikeBox Alan - bikeboxalan@gmail.com She is great and helped me get my Easy Fit fast (faster than 4 weeks).

Thanks, I just sent an email asking if I could get an Easy Fit case before my race (added in some cushion). The website does state there have been delays but if I have to wait until the near future, that is OK. Either way, I will have a bike to take for my race.

Quote Reply

Prev Next