Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
I hate to appear cheap, but...
Quote | Reply
I've decided on a new 808 clincher (don't start...) front wheel. When I realized that the sales tax alone on that puppy is $60 here in Cali, I figured I might do some mail-order shopping.

Any guidance on who's got the best deal on an 808 clincher?

(feel free to PM me)
Quote Reply
Re: I hate to appear cheap, but... [Ashburn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Come on Rick, haven't you done your CA state taxes yet this year?? You know we're supposed to keep track of everything we buy on the internet or out of state so we can include it in our filing...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rick,

If you order via mail, shipping will be $20

S0 now you only save $40

Go to your LBS, (Nytro/B+L/etc) ask for a 5% discount (-$43) and break even at ~$860

PS, ordered a set of 999's yesterday as well! (selling the 909/H3 on the Classifieds section)

- g
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree, see if your LBS will at least meet you in the middle. Most shops should really appreciate the fact you are trying to do business with them and accommodate.
Quote Reply
Re: I hate to appear cheap, but... [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Come on Rick, haven't you done your CA state taxes yet this year?? You know we're supposed to keep track of everything we buy on the internet or out of state so we can include it in our filing...

Dave, I'm sure you are interested in paying your "voluntary" use tax on out-of-state purchases, too. For your convenience, here is a form you can download:

http://www.boe.ca.gov/pdf/boe38i.pdf

Note that there is a three-year statute of limitations, so dig through your garage and make sure you don't miss anything.

Also for your convenience, I have forwarded a copy of this message to the Board of Equalization, together with that photo of you lounging around drinking fine wine, living the high life at the expense of all of us honest taxpayers.

Forever looking out for your best interests,

Rick

(Have a great time at Ralphs!)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got an email from trisports with a 15% off St. Patrick's day special. Code PATTY15. Then you get a nice discount and no tax. I've never had a problem with the people at trisports.

-Colin

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Look around the net. Do a google search and you'll find a ton of deals that will often give you free ground shipping on an order that large. Call them up and ask them to throw the shipping in....they'll often do it.
Quote Reply
Re: I hate to appear cheap, but... [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I second trisports...I've ordered from them and gotten great service.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nothing like written evidence of you intentional state tax evasion . . .
Quote Reply
Re: I hate to appear cheap, but... [mohawkbill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I agree, see if your LBS will at least meet you in the middle. Most shops should really appreciate the fact you are trying to do business with them and accommodate.

Even taking into account the local tri club discount, I've already come across a $100 cheaper total cost poking around on the net. I support our bike shops (just bought new shoes and tires at full retail). But $100 starts to be some real money, especially now that my wife has figured out how to check the detail on our bank account online. I can't get away with stuff like I used to. :-(
Quote Reply
Re: I hate to appear cheap, but... [Trianthes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Nothing like written evidence of you intentional state tax evasion . . .

If Governor Steroid-Boy shows up on my doorstep, I'll teach him a thing or two about who's a girlie-man. Let him chase me up Mt. Soledad. Loser pays my use tax.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LOL!!

For some reason you contacting the Board of Equalization reminds me of Dean Wormer informing the local Draft Boards of the Deltas he just expelled. Not that I'm comparing you to Dean Wormer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have some serious social problems here Rick. Apparently you haven't been to the movies in the last couple of decades.

You might line up, but you will never cross the starting line, much less the finish line.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
www.branfordbike.com

The website looks a little suspect. (not that high tech, difficult to navigate. I ordered my 909's on a Friday and they showed up at my door on Monday. Granted, there in Connecticut and I'm in New Jersey. Either way that's a fast turn around.
Quote Reply
Re: I hate to appear cheap, but... [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
You have some serious social problems here Rick. Apparently you haven't been to the movies in the last couple of decades.

You might line up, but you will never cross the starting line, much less the finish line.

I think I can outrun him uphill. But if he gets one of his paws on my skinny little arms, I guess the chase would be over.

But then, here in the trial-lawyer-friendly-land of Cahleefoneeya, I might end up better off. ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I second TriSports...always had great service from them. Although I got my 808 front clincher (you're not the only one!) from All3Sports, they did a bad thing to me about shipping something else I ordered the same day, and double charged me shipping fees, after they specifically said they wouldn't do that. I've written to them twice, and got ZERO response from them, so, I don't feel bad about telling my side of the story in public. Again, check out TriSports.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Re: I hate to appear cheap, but... [Titan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so how much are we talking here folks? List is ~$850???

rmur (who is in the market as well!)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's a bill before the California state assembly to ban race wheels like the one you want to buy. It's going by the title of the 'Too fast, Too fun bill' The bills sponsors think you will enjoy the wheel and endanger yourself by riding faster than you otherwise would have ridden with ordinary wheels. Therefore, you pose a threat to public safety (and your own safety as well). Buy the wheel now, but don't ride with it on public roads. There's no amnesty. If you get caught with it, they'll confiscate your wheel and throw you in the slammer.

**All of these words finding themselves together were greatly astonished and delighted for assuredly, they had never met before**
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ordered my last set of race wheels from HED because they have wheels that were used once or twice by some pro and after that they are frequently on crashing sale. I got a pair of HED 60s and I think they were almost 50% off when I bought them a couple years ago. I don't know if they'll have what you want, but if price is your concern, it might be worth a look.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: I hate to appear cheap, but... [Armored Avenger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is the the same committee that wanted to ban SUV's, build a high speed rail between Sacramento and LA?

Hmmmm.
Last edited by: Gary Tingley: Mar 15, 05 18:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Screw the wheels. Get some PC's or Rotorcranks. You'll go 18.5% faster

in half the time!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BTW, as a data-hound, did the published aerodynamic drag numbers convince you to go with this wheel, or just a deep wheel and this seems like a good deep wheel? The published numbers of deep wheels compared to the tri-spoke convinced me to go deep. Zipp sure seems to have hit a home run with the 808 as far as "deep while still having good handling qualities", so, I Zipped it!

Did the anecdotes regarding less steering force in windy conditions hold any sway? After hearing just such a report from someone I trusted, without really knowing for certain if it was true, I took the chance....add my anecdotal evidence of less steering force, compared to a tri-spoke, into the archives.

Clincher? Yep, I read some of those reports, too. I think for time trial applications, clinchers at least aren't measureably worse than tubulars.

Just wondering about your thought process re: this wheel.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Allow me to spread some Bunnyman for you,
and tell you, you are not going to get a clincher 808.
It's is wrong on so many levels.
By a tubie. It's the law.
Quote Reply
Re: I hate to appear cheap, but... [Ze Gopha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know you asked us not to get on your case Rick, but that is just wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: I hate to appear cheap, but... [Titan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
BTW, as a data-hound, did the published aerodynamic drag numbers convince you to go with this wheel, or just a deep wheel and this seems like a good deep wheel? The published numbers of deep wheels compared to the tri-spoke convinced me to go deep. Zipp sure seems to have hit a home run with the 808 as far as "deep while still having good handling qualities", so, I Zipped it!

Did the anecdotes regarding less steering force in windy conditions hold any sway? After hearing just such a report from someone I trusted, without really knowing for certain if it was true, I took the chance....add my anecdotal evidence of less steering force, compared to a tri-spoke, into the archives.

Clincher? Yep, I read some of those reports, too. I think for time trial applications, clinchers at least aren't measureably worse than tubulars.

Just wondering about your thought process re: this wheel.

It's a subjective decision, of course. In the end, I went with Zipp because I was pursuaded by their literature that they had done their homework, and that the wheel will do for me in the real world what I expect from it. I don't worry about handling issues since I weigh 158 pounds and have a bike with a long wheelbase.

I went with clincher because (a) I have a clincher rear race wheel, (b) I don't want to invest in tubies and spares, (c) clinchers roll as fast as most tubulars, and faster than many, (d) I can change a clincher as fast as a tubie, and (e) Zipp actually built a wheel designed for clinchers.
Quote Reply

Prev Next