Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I got the new oval aerobar!
Quote | Reply
After some extensive shopping and research, I ordered a new R700TT aerobar. It was between that bar and the 3T New Ahero (the new Hed is out of my price range this year). The New Ahero was about $75 cheaper and lighter. The big deciding factor in favor of the oval was the flat rather than dropped cowhorns. I really like the hand position options this gives. As I am still in the process of building the bike these will go on, I won't have ride test info for another month or so, but I know a lot of people are interested in these bars, so here's my attempt at a quick review. First, this bar is solidly made. The welds are very nicely done and the bar is super stiff. There is an round bar (in front of the base bar where the stem clamps) that is integral to the design, but happens to double nicely as a computer mount. It does make tightening the stem bolts a bit of a trick though. The clamping mechanism for the extensions is simple and functional. The cowhorns themselves are nice and short with a little bit of rise to them (better than completely flat IMHO). The wings are drilled for internal brake cable routing. The pads have multiple bolt options and the base bar has two width options as well, giving you plenty of adjustability between the two. The pads come with two different heights of risers. It looks to me if for some reason you needed a really low pad height that you could buy shorter bolts and go without the risers all together. All in all, it is a very nice design and construction.

My gripes are pretty minor but should be included. First, my bars shipped with no instructions whatsoever. After sorting out the parts, it was pretty self-explanatory, but I'm still not sure that I have the pads installed in the right direction. Second, unless you have really long forearms, most people will have to cut the extensions down for a proper fit. After I determine which set of risers I will be using, I will probably also cut off some of the tops of the extensions. Similar to the Syntace bars, there is more than needed here height-wise. I like the minimalist cowhorn design, but I have average size hands and still wish there was another 1/2" there for a better grip.

I'll let everyone know how they ride later on.

Sweet
Quote Reply
Re: I got the new oval aerobar! [Sweet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have a web site I can refer to?

http://www.endurancesports.ca
Coaching and Training Camps

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How does this thing look.. pictures??
Quote Reply
Re: I got the new oval aerobar! [mpanoff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.ovalconcepts.com/

Colorado Cyclist has them on sale.

E-Z

--It ain't a good idea to swim near MY bubbles! Tongue
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are the extensions adjustable in length?
Quote Reply
Re: I got the new oval aerobar! [steady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We got in the new Oval and Hed last week. I liked the comparison done by Bikesport Michigan, Tom Demerly. He is right on with his comparisons. I too will attempt to lay down a bit of what I have seen so far.

Oval, not installed on bike yet, no instructions, but any one with a bit of mechanical prowess can figure them out. The arm pads are not like what is pictured above. The pads come with a bit of a flat section on one end which should be mounted inboard. The pads on the Oval are nice. The welds, while looking like toothpaste, beefy but not too shabby. There is no adjustment of the width of the arms. This kinda shocked me, but then again, the minimalist approach is apparent. Something else is that the bolts seem to be plain old zinc plated steel. Use plenty of grease, or you will get that seized bolt disease. Everyone remember the Scott bars after you sweated on that small 3mm head arm pad screw? Drilled a few of those out. Not too bad for the price. Definitely an improvement over standard bullhorn-clip on setup.

Hed, on my bike, and it was as good as Christmas, some instructions. The arm pads are like old profile, round. My pads are already coming unglued. The double sided adhesive does not stick very well to the pad material. Just like old Profile pads after they sat all winter. But this has not dampened my spirits. The arms are adjustable, but not separately from the pads. This yet again kinda shocked me, but oh well. If the Heds and the Cobbs and the Armstrongs of the world think this is the way it should be, then so be it. The integrated brake levers are nice and I mean way cool. The only problem on set up was that when I was running the brake housing into the basebar slot for the rear brake, it skinned my housing. The edge of the hole for routing the housing is very sharp. No big problem, just cut another length of housing and go again. I am not sure if I am going to wrap the stubs of the base bar that house the brakes. I may just put a piece of skateboard grip tape on top to give me grip. The bars are narrow. 42 and I can't remember if that is ctoc or outside to outside. Anyway, I fret to imagine grabbing for the base bar remembering reaching for 44's and getting nothing, or worse grabbing the bare carbon with sweaty hands and slipping. Maybe even a bit of grip tape on the lever itself so to avoid slippage. The levers go straight back and have no "you are almost near the end" curve to them. Something you won't miss until it is not there. Sex appeal, yep that is what these bars have. I could have sold two more pair but Hed is a bit backed up. A month and a half out, they tell me. I will be using these bars this year on my Trek 5200, full Dace, with Hed 3's, and Suburban Machine Works forward ti seatpost. Most of my races will be sprints with a couple of Half's. Maybe the big race, but we'll see.

Shawn Spencer

"Nothing in life ever just happens. Calculated progression insures your strength."
Shawn Spencer
Bike Cycles
Wilmington, NC
http://www.bikecycleshop.com
Quote Reply
Re: I got the new oval aerobar! [Shawn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shawn,

Thanks for all the great info! I have been trying to decide what bars to put on my new P3. The only thing that concerns me about these bars is the width of the pads not being adjustable. I guess I should try them out and see if the fixed width is ok. Can you measure the pad width?

thanks,

Andrew
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice! I really like these bars alot but the thing that concerned me when I was shopping around was short/minimal hand grip. I was concerned about being able to climb hills and how they would handle during hilly courses. These are really a true TT bar.

I ended up getting the Vision Tech Tri Max Plus, but your bar was the runner up. For me, it was a matter of being able to have the most functionality with the best aero-properties.

Once you're dialed in, let us know how they ride.
Quote Reply
Re: I got the new oval aerobar! [BurtonSpeedy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just measured the pads. Center to center is 12" at the widest setting. They can go inboard 3/4 of an inch each side. The pads then can be adjusted at about 1" increments. The pads are 4" wide from outside to outside. Let me know if you need a pair.
Shawn Spencer

"Nothing in life ever just happens. Calculated progression insures your strength."
Shawn Spencer
Bike Cycles
Wilmington, NC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmmm, interesting. We ordered some from Quality Bicycle Parts a week ago and they had the bars in stock but weren't completeing the orders because they told us they were "waiting for parts". So, I'm looking forward to seeing them when I get back. Based on this information (on this thread) they sound very promising. Thanks for the info.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: I got the new oval aerobar! [steady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If Shawn's posts haven't cleared it up, the extensions do have plenty of adjustment. For people with short or even average length forearms though you will need to cut off some of the end of the extensions that are hidden in the bar. It looks like you could also take off the bar plugs at the rear of the extensions and have some of the extension stick out the back. You would probably have to put plugs in that to stay USAT compliant.

sweet
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm confused.. I thought the Oval's pad widths are NOT adjustable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The pads are adjustable. The arms are not adjustable, width wise. The arms are adjustable in and out. The pads are adjustable seperate from the arms. The pads are more adjustable than the Hed.
Shawn Spencer

Shawn Spencer
Bike Cycles
Wilmington, NC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's a picture on their website (ovalconcepts) of bars that have integrated brake levers.. with something that looks like carbon fiber arms. I wonder if that is some prototype or the next generation version.. anyone know?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe those are the Hed bars. If I remember correctly, the aluminum "Oval" bars and the carbon Heds were developed together by basically the same group of people. I believe there was some discussion/confusion as to which bars would be sold under which brand. Hed got the carbon and Oval the Aluminum.
Quote Reply