Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
I give up. How do you get your wetsuit off your damn ankles?
Quote | Reply
I try and try, but even standing in the office, I can't get my wetsuit down from around my waist to off my ankles in under 15 seconds. In the transition area, I am sure it takes much longer.

What is the secret?
Quote Reply
Re: I give up. How do you get your wetsuit off your damn ankles? [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I cut about 3 cm off the bottom of each leg. Makes no difference performance wise and is a heck of a lot easier to take off.
Quote Reply
Re: I give up. How do you get your wetsuit off your damn ankles? [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Once I learned to step on the suit, it became a lot faster. I guess I step on one leg, which get the fabric down below the calf, do the same with the other, then I can pull my feat out quickly and easily. It's a four part move. But maybe it takes longer than 15 seconds ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what are you using to grease your feet and ankles?
Quote Reply
Re: I give up. How do you get your wetsuit off your damn ankles? [5280] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tried body glide on both feet and outside of suit. I didn't feel much difference.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you notice a difference after a hard swim? I am usually slick with sweat following a hard swim and the suit slips right off!

Michael

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How come you're wearing a wetsuit around the office? O.K., seriously...here's an idea. A lady I know had zippers put in her wetsuit - vertically, on the back of each leg. Never tried it myself, but it seems like a great solution.

http://www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Re: I give up. How do you get your wetsuit off your damn ankles? [santa claus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not really sure, since I am tired and my heart is pounding so much. I usually do worse in transition.

I have been at this sport six years now. I think it is time to figure this out.
Quote Reply
Re: I give up. How do you get your wetsuit off your damn ankles? [mthammer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hard to explain. Maybe we have too many condom threads over in the Lavender Room.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my solution: extra virgin olive oil on the ankles

(what else would you expect from a guy who runs an italian restaurant)

don't just do something..... sit there
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]I try and try, but even standing in the office, I can't get my wetsuit down from around my waist to off my ankles in under 15 seconds. In the transition area, I am sure it takes much longer.

What is the secret?[/reply]

One secret (aside from maybe cutting a few inches off of the legs) is to take it off while it's still wet. ideally inside and out. Which may mean taking it off at the water's edge rather than at your rack, depending on the venue. Also, you can spray Pam vegetable spray (preferably not flavored) on your legs and or the wetsuit legs.

Putting it on and taking it off dry in your office is never going to be easy. Even if you can get it on with the help of a couple of grocery bags over
your feet, with no water between you and the suit or the suit and itself it's not going to want to come off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TB in MT has it. No glide or anything necessary. Just step on the suit and pull up with the other foot. No bending over or sitting down. Think like a 6 year old.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cut the bottom 2-4 cm off of the legs at and angle with the higher end of the cut at the rear, so your heel comes out more easily.

I like the step on it thing, since I'm so stiff.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is one suggestion: take it off in the water.

When you get up and run to T1 all the water/lubrication spills out past your ankles. If it fits tight like it ought, then once the water has drained out, it can create a pretty good seal and it won't want to come off. I have cut inches off the arms and legs of my long sleeve suit and that helps, but last fall I actually pulled a muscle in my calf trying to pull it off during a race. Since then I just stand up once I hit the beach, unzipp and then sort of sit down and peel it off while half submerged. It comes off quickly and then you stand up and run to T1, toss it in your area and grab your helmet, shoes and bike and off you go.

I feel like I more than make up for the time I spend taking it off in the water by not struggling with it in the sometimes crowded transition areas.

Just something to think about.

Chad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Body glide, or your lube of choice, and the suit being wet make a huge difference. I went swimming a couple of times last year and forgot the bodyglide and was struggling for what seemed like minutes to get the suit off. In a race it's down to your waist by the time you get to your bike then slide it down to your knees then step on it. you can never have too much lube.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I find using bodyglide on the inside of the suit and my ankles lower calf works best...

I also don't fold the suit over itself.... I push the suit down off the ankle....

Granted... I do have zippers on the back, so I'm not trying to push a little ankle opening off my foot.
Quote Reply
Re: I give up. How do you get your wetsuit off your damn ankles? [TargetGoingLong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are making it harder than you need to. Once you have the suit down to your knees, it's "no hands" from there. Step on the suit and step out. You should NEVER have to use your hands to get the suit over your feet/heels. I didn't believe it until I tried it, but it works like a charm.
Quote Reply
Re: I give up. How do you get your wetsuit off your damn ankles? [davidd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wetsuit does not come off easily when I step on it - it takes repeated violent motions to make any headway at all. I have the same problems as the original poster. It takes FOREVER ((30+ seconds easily) no matter how much glide I apply or what method I use. Sure, I could probably get it off marginally faster if I violently torqued my legs around but then I'm risking pulling a muscle or cramping up bad.

I do think I might try cdw's advice and maybe take it off while still in the water.

ot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why are you wearing a wetsuit in your office?

Re: I give up. How do you get your wetsuit off your damn ankles? [OT in CA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pull it down, step on the opposite leg, and pull it inside out. Mine comes right off (T1). What kind are you guys using?

Re: I give up. How do you get your wetsuit off your damn ankles? [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Learn to swim so you won't need one!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Much depends on the size of your calves. I was complaining of this same problem to a few of the guys after a practice swim. They stepped right out of theirs easily (few seconds) and in front of them I tried the same thing. It didn't budge..and they couldn't budge it. Also some have thin heels, some have wide heels. It's a real problem. I'm beginning to like the zipper solution.
Quote Reply
Re: I give up. How do you get your wetsuit off your damn ankles? [JDub] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You guys need to learn about the wetsuit pogo http://forums.multisportal.com/...ex.php?showtopic=175

it is a transition dance specifically for removing your wetsuit.
Quote Reply
Re: I give up. How do you get your wetsuit off your damn ankles? [davidd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
STep on it only partly works for me--I still have to do the final part by sliding two fingers from each hand down behind the ankles. Keep in mind you are breathing heavy anyway, and now you are bent over breathing heavy and struggling. I like the zipper idea--who makes those installations. Why don't we demand that from our wetsuit manufacturers???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spray Pam (non-stick cooking spray) liberally on your legs AND on the outside of the wetsuit. That way, when you start "stomping" it off and the legs turn inside out, they'll still be slicker'n hammered owl shit...

Comes off mui pronto.

Cousin Elwood - Team Over-the-hill Racing
Brought to you by the good folks at Metamucil and Geritol...
Quote Reply

Prev Next