Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: I don't have the body of a model...and? [JenHS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Over there, it is all about how to starve yourself into losing those last 3 lbs and getting down to 5% body fat. It really is unhealthy and scary.
I totally agree.
Quote Reply
Re: I don't have the body of a model...and? [mts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
They absolutely do. They just internalize it (and talk about it externally) much different than women do...

I am not sure about the internalization, but I agree about the difference in talking about it externally: I am for example very annoyed by my genes who insist on packing pretty much all the body fat I have on my tummy (6-pack, ha, even when I was 6'/160# there was still a layer of stuff there, let alone now at 6'/175#) and by my back genes (thanks dad) that seem to prevent me from having a super straight back: Since there's not much I can do about either of those I gripe about them fairly regularly to my g/f and to my best friend.

In my experience the womens are a lot more likely to talk about 'puppy fat' etc. issues with a lot more people than guys do, likely due to the 'oh, you talk about your hips, look at my thighs' and 'oh, you two shut up, at least you have breasts' etc. etc. chain reaction making feel everybody better because nobody's perfect; among guys there doesn't seem to be nearly as much this 'oh, you have this issue, I have that, it's ok', it's more like 'you suck, my xyz is so much better than yours, what's wrong with you', definitely a lot less supportive behaviour.
Quote Reply
Re: I don't have the body of a model...and? [Marco in BC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
'oh, you talk about your hips, look at my thighs' and 'oh, you two shut up, at least you have breasts'

LOL, that was a nice imitation :-)

My thanks to the guys who have chimed in on this thread!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's weird. I'm about 5' 4.5" and weigh about 130-135 lbs usually... 2 days before ironman last year I was 128 - and to me I didn't look any different.
People who look at me think I weigh like 110lb.
Some of the weights and heights I've been hearing on this thread make me wonder if I'm 'bulky' or something.
I wear 4s usually and have a 26.5" waist. I can see a little bit of muscle definition in my stomach, no six pack or anything, and I do know I carry most of my weight in my hips/thighs.
Sometimes I struggle with wanting to try to lose weight because maybe I will get faster... however, I think I'm just a bit more muscular. A gal at the pool referred to me once as "the muscle".
Quote Reply
Re: I don't have the body of a model...and? [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Some of the weights and heights I've been hearing on this thread make me wonder if I'm 'bulky' or something.
Exactly why threads like this are retarded.

Quote | Reply
What's your affiliation with BikeReg?

To answer Tigerchik's question I'd say somewhat, but not on average. I definitely hang with a skewed bunch (roadies) and they are concerned with their weight but not a whole lot else. Women think of way more angles (how does this or that particular part look) than men, even if men can be as vain. (say about hair or weight).
Last edited by: mayhew: Mar 4, 09 12:35
Quote Reply
Re: I don't have the body of a model...and? [D!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amen! In real life, I don't look much different than my other tri buddies!
Quote Reply
Re: I don't have the body of a model...and? [mayhew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The jersey was awarded to me at the Georgia Cup State Time Trial Championship. I placed 2nd in the Women's cat4 race and then immediately raced the women's open TT as well and had the 2nd place time. The results got messed up though, I was allowed to race the Women's Open TT using a bib number from a Cat 3 man that didnt' make it (hey, race director allowed it, I took it) but they still put my time in with the Cat 3 men. I did NOT place nearly so well in that.

Anyway, the race director handed me a medal and the jersey. I like the jersey.

There is no justice, there is only me. -- Death
Quote Reply
Re: I don't have the body of a model...and? [Sabrekitty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very cool. Nice result too.

Just curious, I know some of the guys (and *the* guy) involved in BikeReg.
Quote Reply
Re: I don't have the body of a model...and? [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aw, thanks doll!

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
So here's what I want to know: do guys think about their bodies like girls do? It is such a "big" thing for us - how we look - athletes or non athletes. Do guys think about height, 'puppy' fat (LOL, this is just how I manage to be ok with it, make it something cute and funny), how their legs look, etc?[/quote]
Sure we do.

However, IMO, when women look in the mirror they tend to notice what is wrong with their body. Men tend to focus on what is right/looks good. Not saying that either way is better. We're just wired differently.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn." - Charles De Mar
Quote Reply
Re: I don't have the body of a model...and? [P2SLowry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Focusing on the good is definitely better! Dissatisfaction with looks or the # on a scale can ruin any day, ask any girl ;-) far better to focus on the good. Positive affirmations.

If I'm having a bad day I make fish kiss faces in the mirror, my fish kiss face is adorable :-)

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
To quote my doctor this morning "You're tall and have large bone structure, if you're going to keep doing ultrarunning, you need glucosamine."

I only look "normal" among the men, and even then I'm tall. Around you women I look like a freaking giant. If you don't like feeling big on the starting line, look for me. I'll make you look like a dwarf. Seriously. In fact, here's an example. I'm the one that's a full head taller than any of the other girls.

How tall are you? And OMG, if you have large bone structure, I must be ginormous boned--you look pretty thin (I mean, athleticaly thin, not anorexic thin).

But I feel your pain...this is me on my wedding day (And the sad thing is...I was barefoot--they were in their heels):

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Re: I don't have the body of a model...and? [mmrocker13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You tall chicks are hot!

And I'm not kidding.....
Quote Reply
Re: I don't have the body of a model...and? [mmrocker13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm one inch shorter than my Momma. I measure in at 6 foot. Don't let the angle fool you, I'm broad of shoulder. Bone structure *is* big, I've just been running enough this past season to drop a few more pounds. Truth is, you look built about the same. So, how tall are you?

(btw, you look thin and athletic there too.)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd give my left nut (if I had one :p) to be 6'. I'm 5'9.5". If I stretch real well, I could probably clear 5'10". :D I don't think of myself as fat at all--but I am definitely large boned. My legs give me a foundation like a tornado alley farmhouse. :p

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You arent alone...
I've got two sisters that are each just a hair over 6'. Granted- I also have a cousin(girl) whos 6-1... and the men in our family are equally huge- My mom is 5-10, dads 6-3, im 6'5, have an uncle the same, a cousin whos 6'4, 6'2, 6'2, 6'1 and one whos 14 and 6'2 already. All of them athletes- of course the older fellas are now well into their 50s, but id be willing to bet that everyone in my generation has BMIs between the middle and upper end of "normal". and half of us still look scrawny no matter what we do.
at least in my opinion, 6' isnt that outlandish for a girl... but then I grew up around big people.
Quote Reply
Re: I don't have the body of a model...and? [brikins13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I'm around my Momma's side of the family, I'm not big at all:-D The only adults under 5'11 married in. Most are at least 6'1 (male and female both) and generally much taller. Tallest was Uncle Larry, who measured in at 6'7", and my cousin Marge I think is still the tallest of the women at 6'4" (and yes, the basketball scholarship was hers).

It's good to be reminded sometimes that there are *other* families that think 5'10 and below is "short."

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ha- excellent!
My dad's side is the "tall" side. While my moms side is taller than average, when the families get together you hear "i thought i was tall, and now i feel like a midget" or some variation dozens of times.
Since my dads side all lives in the same town- he's one of 5 brothers, and theres 12 in my generation- its pretty normal- and everyone knows our family and reputation.
Funny actually, we discovered that my 26yo guy cousin was the third shortest out of all the cousins- and he's just shy of 6'
No chance you have any single women from your family in CT is there?
Quote Reply
Re: I don't have the body of a model...and? [brikins13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, no. The majority are in Iowa, and while I'm single, I'm down in Georgia/Tennessee. Sounds like a great family to me though!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't say I didnt try.
Quote Reply
Re: I don't have the body of a model...and? [Marco in BC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alright, another question for the guys. I have always wondered, do runner/triathlete guys care about how their legs look?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm skinny. I've always been skinny. at least what I consider skinny- at 6-5+ I tip the scales at just over 200 right now, I'm built solid, but my legs have always been small.
A few years ago- when i got my first bike- coming off of a couple years of college rowing- I noticed that after just a few hundred miles I started developing stretch marks in my quads- which was awesome and kinda gross at the same time. Its nice to get bigger legs, but they're still pretty skinny. As far as definition, its there. clearly im not a couch potato, but you also notice that i dont spend a half hour doing calf raises at the gym.
Do I care about the way my legs look? Sure. but I'm not really going to change anything in order to get them to look "better".
I figure as long as I'm doin my thing, staying in shape... the rest will fall into place, and i'll look how I look. I dont diet, I eat pretty much whatever i can get my hands on, my metabolism is through the roof- so much that I figure i'm pretty much F'd when I do my first half iron this summer, because I dont know if I can maintain enough caloric intake for 6 hrs while staying moving and avoiding cramps etc etc...
I care- but not enough so that it bothers me if i put on weight in the winter, or really even care about what other people think. I like my legs. They may not be as big or muscley as other guys', but i know what my legs can do. and thats cool with me
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Absolutely! Why do you think so many guys look for any excuse to shave them?

Shaved legs look much better than furry ones. Unless you're into that hippy 60-70's jungle hair stuff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
along with that... being a triathlete, doesnt that automatically make us vain? so we care about everything- even if we (like i recently did) say we dont?

oh. i dont shave my legs. yet. hello hippie legs.
Quote Reply

Prev Next