Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
I am SHOCKED at the poll results
Quote | Reply
i thought FOR SURE that either cycling (time, expense, safety concerns) would be in a dead heat with running (injuries, knees) as the first sport to go. instead it's swimming, by so much that it's equal to cycling and running combined.

it's not injuries. and it's not expense. why is this the most likely sport of the 3 for you to jettison?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: I am SHOCKED at the poll results [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
i thought FOR SURE that either cycling (time, expense, safety concerns) would be in a dead heat with running (injuries, knees) as the first sport to go. instead it's swimming, by so much that it's equal to cycling and running combined.

it's not injuries. and it's not expense. why is this the most likely sport of the 3 for you to jettison?

Pretty simple really, most triathletes are terrible swimmers and they avoid what they are bad at.

I picked run purely because of injuries, it's the only sport that seems to cause any problem with me, although i do enjoy running.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
swimming;
drive time to pool
chlorine health wise not good
lake and river water quality not good
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I only swim because the race starts in the water. If I stopped doing tri's, I would still bike and run, but definitely not swim.

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: I am SHOCKED at the poll results [TriguyBlue] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I couldn't quite answer the poll. I am definitely riding on the ROAD less and especially less solo riding. But I am riding the MTB more and still riding the trainer. For me it is the cars that keep me from riding like I used to.

I can agree with TriguyBlue that I am a poor swimmer, but I persist. In large part because of my friends at Masters year round and the fact that when it is 90% humidity in July, swimming is more enjoyable.

Brian
“Eat and Drink, spin the legs and you’re going to effin push (today).” A Howe
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am a below BOP swimmer and am happy to not swim. I am more than happy to race duathlons.

It's not pool time - my employer has a gorgeous 6x25y pool that is never full.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I commented to the wife this morning on the way to the pool that swimming takes so much for effort to train for compared to bike and run.
Even though swimming is the only sport left when one gets older, I swim with a guy 85, when I hit the off season and the pool is closed, I sure
do not miss it.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I enjoy Tri for the challenge, the community, etc.

My real love is on the bike, and I used to love running and now I just 'like' it. I tolerate swimming. I know I should just race on the bike, but I enjoy the suffering I guess. When I do stop Tri and just cycle... I absolutely won't miss swimming (or the thing I do in the water that looks like a wounded seal).

I talk to myself because mine are the only answers I'll accept - George Carlin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

Agree! I know for a fact that when father time beats me, it will be in an order reverse to tri: run-bike-swim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll put it this way. If it's a nice sunny day, I'd much rather go for a ride or run and enjoy the varied terrain and great scenery (mountains, lakes, rivers, and wildlife) rather than go back and forth at the pool staring at a black line and listening to myself breathe. I could swim in the lake, but still doesn't give me the same endorphin rush and enjoyment as being on an open road

Plus, swimming doesn't have Strava segments (pink...kinda)

Matt
Last edited by: Pun_Times: Jul 31, 17 17:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swimming is just so freaking inconvenient. Pool fees, pool hours, driving to the pool, need for coaching/masters.

Plus, which would you rather do on a lovely perfect spring/summer day - stare at a black line for 1-2 hours, or enjoy the wilderness trails or backcountry roads for riding?

No contest here.
Quote Reply
Re: I am SHOCKED at the poll results [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Run for me.. I'm just getting back into tris recently because of injury .. I will probably never do anything longer then oly ever again
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, I've already jettisoned the bike and run, for the most part.

Running takes too long to recover, and cycling takes too long.

With swimming, if I decide that I've had enough that day, then I just have to swim somewhere between 1 and 50 m to get back out of the pool.

Conversely, if I want to add more, it's easy and I don't have to figure out another route to do.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Jul 31, 17 16:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

Doesn't surprise me at all. As I see people leaving triathlon, even temporarily, for new challenges, it's for cycling and running events (trail running, gravel grinder, etc.), not for swimming. I think running and cycling events appear more "fun" for them than anything swim is offering. Plus, let's face it, in SoCal right now, people are over-reacting to all the shark sightings and are not excited to go swim in the ocean. Ask them to give one up, and swimming seems to be the natural choice.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dan, this is a community right by me and I have friends who know the folks. This is another reason why to your question

http://fox40.com/...-nevada-county-lake/

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I chose cycling. Because of the time it takes to be proficient at cycling. And the fatigue from a hard 4 hour ride is much greater than a hard 5-6k swim. But the payoff for each workout is pretty similar.

Swim prep time is variable based on location. Wouldn't you say pool availability is the least flexible part of planning for triathlon training?
Quote Reply
Re: I am SHOCKED at the poll results [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
Slowman wrote:

Doesn't surprise me at all. As I see people leaving triathlon, even temporarily, for new challenges, it's for cycling and running events (trail running, gravel grinder, etc.), not for swimming. I think running and cycling events appear more "fun" for them than anything swim is offering. Plus, let's face it, in SoCal right now, people are over-reacting to all the shark sightings and are not excited to go swim in the ocean. Ask them to give one up, and swimming seems to be the natural choice.

Good point. The lack of organization of events for amateur swimmers, wether it is open water swims or meets at local clubs, make swimming the #1. I'm shocked but not shocked at the same time since people gravitate to something where they can race and there aren't too many swimming only races out there
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To be perfectly honest I haven't run in over 8 months due to persistent Achilles and ankle issues so I'm not racing. When I'm not racing I rarely swim.

Not because I hate swimming but rather it's much more inconvenient.

Reason # 83 why swimming sucks: 2 lanes available inside for lap swim at my rec center with 2 old guys doing breaststroke in each lane. 1 Lane available outside for lap swimming with 3 people already lollygagging along. Ask the lifeguard if there are going to be any lessons in the first two open lanes and he says no. Get all my gear on, slip into the water and the swim instructor tells me lessons start in 10 min...

Plan B- try again later when my daughter is in tennis lessons at another rec center.

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

I would think for most folks swimming is the least enjoyable. Running and cycling I can go out in the world and enjoy myself and the scenery and even chat with people if I were inclined. Swimming in a pool is flipping boring
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It looks to me like more people want to keep all 3 disciplines than want to remove one of them. Which probably explains why triathlon is far more popular than duathlon, aquabike, and aquarun combined.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: I am SHOCKED at the poll results [Runner Rick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I second this answer. Quite simply I only began to swim more rigorous because of triathlon. If the tri life were to quit...swim life also quits. But run and bike will live on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

Swimming is very boring (my opinion) and as a sport doesn't facilitate lifestyle adventure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd give up the run... because fuck the run. I get little to no enjoyment out of it. The people who do... crazies.

I hate the run like most people hate the swim. If I swim for 2 hours... I'm tired. If I run for two hours... it feels like I got hit by truck. Fuck the run, fuck it in the ear with a big rubber dick.

In case I wasn't clear... Fuck. Running.
Quote Reply
Re: I am SHOCKED at the poll results [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:

Plus, which would you rather do on a lovely perfect spring/summer day - stare at a black line for 1-2 hours, or enjoy the wilderness trails or backcountry roads for riding?

No contest here.

What would you rather do on a cold, winter morning or a rainy, windy afternoon: climb on your trainer in your basement to go absolutely nowhere and sweat all over everything, or go to the pool and swim with your teammates?

If, for you, swimming equals "star[ing] at a black line for 1-2 hours," you are doing it wrong.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

Swimming for me because the admin time for swimming sucks. I love in SoCal and I can only go to the pool when it opens first thing in the morning because of work and life schedules. The pool is always super busy, I need to get up early and get less sleep, plus I don't have time for coffee or food so I'm starting the swim tired already. This year I got injured and bailed out of the only triathlon I signed up for. Now I'm having a blast biking and running and sleeping in instead of having to drag myself to the pool.
Quote Reply

Prev Next