Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
I Got It Wrong On Kona Thread
Quote | Reply
Let be the first to say I got my prediction wrong about Gomez, was convinced he was going to cruise to victory in Kona first time around and push new levels never seen before.

Time will tell what happened to his race, sure he'll be back stronger and wiser next year...

I did get all my other predictions nailed prety much though take a bow Lange, McNamee, Ryf, Charles and Haug/True...
Last edited by: Jackets: Oct 13, 18 18:51
Quote Reply
Re: I Got It Wrong About Kona Thread [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gomez has a lot to figure out. These were perfect conditions for his race strategy.
Quote Reply
Re: I Got It Wrong On Kona Thread [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The reality is that Gomez decided to enter the long course game too late.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: I Got It Wrong About Kona Thread [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree, he's had a prety awful debut year by his standards.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But not all that bad for Kona 1st year standards. I think he's closer than this result suggests for future races. Unless he truly just cant handle the heat. Maybe he can't. Maybe he'll be part of the group of athletes who just can't handle the Kona heat and get marked as "failures" if they dont win.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: I Got It Wrong About Kona Thread [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Clearly he needs a coach.

;)
Quote Reply
Re: I Got It Wrong About Kona Thread [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This thread should be full of Kinele, Wurf and Sanders fans...don't be shy!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kienle fan...I got nothing. Wurf? Who thought he had a chance truly? That would have required everyone to run slow and him his PR. Dynamics of this race were a bit different, Lange biked pretty well and led through 80%(?) of the run?

Last edited by: TheStroBro: Oct 13, 18 19:25
Quote Reply
Re: I Got It Wrong About Kona Thread [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The uber bikers never really got that massive advantage. Starky was complaining it wasnt his day before the bike was even done. And I believe Lange was in first by the 12 mile mark.

Wurf as a contender, I dont think that'll ever be the case, but people say he ran 2:52, so somehow that gives him a shot. I dont see it.

Sebi, the moment you have a flat/issue, I give you a pass with whatever happens. The women's race imo is not deep enough for real mistakes to be compounded against you like the men can.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: I Got It Wrong About Kona Thread [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
Kienle fan...I got nothing. Wurf? Who thought he had a chance truly? That would have required everyone to run slow and him his PR. Dynamics of this race were a bit different, Lange biked pretty well and led through 80%(?) of the run?

There was at least one Wurf thread that went up pre race and during the race, I'm sure there was plenty of belief there among the uber biker fan club.
Quote Reply
Re: I Got It Wrong On Kona Thread [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought Matt Hanson would have a breakout race and go top 5.

I thought Charles would try too hard to beat Ryf and blow up in the run and drop to the 5-10 range.

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: I Got It Wrong On Kona Thread [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was Hanson even racing? I had him coming around 5th myself, never heard his name all night.
Quote Reply
Re: I Got It Wrong About Kona Thread [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
The uber bikers never really got that massive advantage. Starky was complaining it wasnt his day before the bike was even done. And I believe Lange was in first by the 12 mile mark.

Wurf as a contender, I dont think that'll ever be the case, but people say he ran 2:52, so somehow that gives him a shot. I dont see it.

Sebi, the moment you have a flat/issue, I give you a pass with whatever happens. The women's race imo is not deep enough for real mistakes to be compounded against you like the men can.

Well, last I checked Challenge Almere and Ironman Switzerland do not simulate conditions at Kona. Ran a 3:06 today, perhaps he should try Ironman Taiwan.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:

Kienle fan here. Didn't go as expected but next year he can go with Frodo head to head :)
Quote Reply
Re: I Got It Wrong About Kona Thread [chrissie1993] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gomez burnt too many matches on the bike and paid for it on the run on his Insta.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:

I'm here....what do I need to add other than on a perfect low wind day when Gomez could sit in the train and unleash a 2:38 run, he got dropped by the train and did not. it might just be that his best distance is 70.3 and Olympic or he just needs time to figure it out, but these conditions where the best he could get for his strategy. On a tougher bike day, he would be further exposed.

We can cover the Sanders stuff on the other 99 threads about him. I am truly bummed about Kienle though. Wurf had a great day in line with what you would expect him to do. He needs a Norman Stadler 2004 wind day to really pull it off. All these low wind days suck for Wurf.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by windschatten [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: windschatten: Oct 14, 18 0:05
Re: I Got It Wrong About Kona Thread [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
Jackets wrote:
Gomez burnt too many matches on the bike and paid for it on the run on his Insta.

How can that be?

According to many here, Gomez together with Lange, Currie, Aernouts freewheeled most of the time in the "pace line"?

Seems the chase group on the bike had a crazy tempo. I mean... Wurf, Starky, Amberger were unable to really pull away by 15+ minutes (which was obviously the plan).

So in return Gomez realized: his only chance is to stay with the chase group, no matter the tempo. And he payed for that one...
Quote Reply
Re: I Got It Wrong About Kona Thread [heretic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had Currie as a podium, I was wrong, but not far off ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: I Got It Wrong About Kona Thread [oakie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How did Tim Don make out. Can't seem to find any results.
Quote Reply
Re: I Got It Wrong About Kona Thread [oakie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oakie wrote:
I had Currie as a podium, I was wrong, but not far off ;-)
While at it: Anne Haug was impressive too. 3rd as rookie...
Quote Reply
Re: I Got It Wrong About Kona Thread [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
Gomez has a lot to figure out. These were perfect conditions for his race strategy.
I'm not sure he's going to. He was my favorite too, but then in a pre-race interview he sounded very unsure about the IM distance. Seemed like he was lacking motivation, said he would just see how the race would go and was considering going back to short distance. I'm not sure we'll see him again in an IM.
Quote Reply
Re: I Got It Wrong About Kona Thread [nchristi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nchristi wrote:
Sean H wrote:
I'm not sure he's going to. He was my favorite too, but then in a pre-race interview he sounded very unsure about the IM distance. Seemed like he was lacking motivation, said he would just see how the race would go and was considering going back to short distance. I'm not sure we'll see him again in an IM.

Yes felt similar after seeing that pre race. It wasn’t modesty/being humble, came across as he wasn’t confident of his ability and knew he couldn’t win. Also got the feeling he may be ‘one and done’.

Looking at Jan’s step up in a different light now, and also Alistair’s chances. I
Quote Reply
Re: I Got It Wrong About Kona Thread [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
Jackets wrote:

How can that be?

According to many here, Gomez together with Lange, Currie, Aernouts freewheeled most of the time in the "pace line"?
This x1000.
Quote Reply
Re: I Got It Wrong About Kona Thread [Thorax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Women’s race went about as expected. No real surprises.

Men’s race did have some surprises. I thought Gomez would finish 5-8th. Sanders race was so unpredictable so hard to say it was shocking. Wanted him to do better though. Andy Potts had a great race. McNamee did the sameness thing as last year.

Ish Kienle did t have some bad luck. He had a great swim.
Quote Reply

Prev Next